1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Red Dead Redemption Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 28 May 2010.

1. phantombudgie

phantombudgie What's a Dremel?

+1

YES.

NOW!

2. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Hey, if Joe says it's good, then it's good. He knows what he's doing (usually :worried:).

Joe,

Any info at all on a PC release?

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

None at the moment.

4. gilesy

gilesy who cares who wins

i might just get this game so i can have a donkey lady for my steed

pimonserry likes this.
  5. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

LOL, I never either, but, don't you know if you see you tube videos a game must be a buggy mess right? LOL.

6. mastorofpuppetz

Hey Joe, you mentioned the controls, what problems did you have? I thought they were great, I thought the horses controlled great, as well as the shooting, which was much better then GTA what issue did you have? I thought the controls were fine with the one exception of horses not being able to go backwards. Can't imagine how you get the horses to control better then in this game.

7. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

I'm looking forward to getting stuck into RDR this weekend - a birthday present (hopefully!) from my wife. She's already started mourning, though, as she concedes I'll be far away for the next couple of weeks.

8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I just got tired of constantly hammering X, especially when I'm trying to change weapons, shoot, steer all at the same time. Dead Eye mode helps, but it'd be nice if you didn't have to rely on it so much.

Hammer/Hold X to gallop + right stick to steer + L2 to zoom in + left stick to aim + R2 to shoot + L3 to Dead Eye? Doable, but it took me a fair bit of practice. On the whole the controls were OK, but I felt they weren't as smooth as they could have been. Especially when you're trying to navigate tricky clifftops.

9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

@SchizoFrog - I actually find it quite amusing how you can come in here and say so defiantly that this game is bad, even though you (apparently) haven't even played the game (unlike all the reviewers and game critics around the world who have given this overwhelmingly positive praise), and are basing your views on a few Youtube videos and the strange pre-conceived notion that all console games must be bad simply because they're console games. Are you really so conceited that just because you aren't interested in the game and you think the game is bad, that everyone else should think that and they are wrong for liking it? Please...

10. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

That's unfortunate (in a backwards sort of fashion) as those videos I linked are highly amusing. Especially the infamous cougar midget.

Oh, the Gunslingin' Coyote is pretty freakin' amazing too!

11. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Man, those videos are so funny I'd call them features instead of bugs. :hehe:

12. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

The Cougar dude freaked me out, mainly because it looks like Garry Bushell.

13. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

OK, now my comments have been taken completely out of context as usual as soon as any critisizes anything about Bit-Tech. I am not saying it is a bad game, but the scores awarded, compared to the reviews seem heavily based on personal enjoyment rather than anything else. If 'said reviewer' had not enjoyed this game then the faults pointed out within the review would have been used as reason to award lower scores, but as 'said reviewer' did enjoy the overall experience it gets a 9/10 which is a biased result.

My comments were regarding...

Console game reviews generally awarding 8, 9 or 10 seemingly as a default.

Just because you may like and/or find glitches in the games funny, they are still glitches and are reason to find fault with a game.

Also, in reply to one comment... No, I have not played this game. I read the reviews and as a result I notice the inconsistant rules applied that lead to a confusng stand point for someone who is looking for advice on which games to purchase. Personally I do not ignore things just because I find them amusing...

So far the comments in reply have consisted primarily of shouting me down and telling me that my arguements are rubbish, and yet there has been no comment to allay any fears I may have that this game is not as good (in ALL aspects) as the review score would lead me to believe.

14. mastorofpuppetz

The game IS as good as the reviews, and i dont like GTA or rockstar usually. Again, your basing this off a game you never played, the glitches are few and far between, until you have played it, you are in no position to say anything. Again, going off of you tube is hilarious. All games have you tube videos of glitches, name one game that you cant find a glitch in? Yep, what i thought.

15. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

masterof... You completely miss my point. How am I supposed to trust the reviews when the scores awarded are inconsistant according to the review and seem to be generically awarded?

As for the glitches, that wasn't even my main concern... but to follow your own reasoning, you are suggesting that just because other games are broken too its ok for this one to be broken and find no fault with that?

That is just dumb!

16. mastorofpuppetz

This game is not broken and is very glitch free, how hard is that to understand? There is no double standard, Pc games are generally buggier, compare say Stalker to this, its night and day, and this game is every bit if not more complex.

17. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Erm, yes. I thought that much was obvious. If you enjoy the game, it gets a good score. If the game is not enjoyable, it does not get a good score. This is the entire basis of reviews.

Again, I really do not see your point. How on Earth is someone giving their personal opinion on a game a biased result? That's the whole reason I read reviews FFS. For a personal opinion. Any personal opinion is unbiased by definition.

You can't quantify an opinion in numbers. In fact, I seriosuly think bit-tech should consider not putting number scores in reviews just to stop these idiots coming in and complaining about them, not realising that the actual text of the review is what they should be concerned about.

No one is shouting you down for no reason. If your complaints held any weight whatsoever I'm sure the editorial team would pay them more attention. But as it is, they're just ridiculous.

Last edited: 28 May 2010
  18. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

The slow burn storytelling of this game is second to none. The gradual relationship between Marston and Bonnie is so perfect for a western. They have nailed the atmosphere of the setting in a way that I don't think I've seen before.

Red Dead Redemption is a masterpiece that IMO surpasses any of the recent GTA games.

19. Mik3yB @ CCL

Mik3yB @ CCL Everything is not going to be OK

I'm sooooo glad they pulled it off. The first game was very average but after I saw the first screenies and videos of this I was hoping it would play aswell as it looks, and it does!

The atmosphere and dialogue definitely make the game.

I'm used to the controls now pretty much so I don't see them as an issue. Plus I've not encountered any buginess yet either. Although a cactus once got in the way of me breaking a horse.
    Bad cactus, in your bed.

20. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

A guy demoed this at work when the company bought it. Nothing happened in the first 30-45 minutes! Nothing! And from talking to other people that have played it, that is a trend of the game. The animation is horrible, and there are major game breaking bugs. But I will admit that it nails the wild west feel (although too drawn out and boring) and gunplay. There's just too much bs in between.

Tags: Add Tags