1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment What next?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Shadowed_fury, 22 May 2010.

1. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I need a new Canon SLR to replace my 300D, and I'm having vast issues deciding which to set my eyes on.

50D - not fullframe but good otherwise
    550D - similar to 50D i think, but more MP with less features
    7D - best of the 1.6x bunch I think, with a price
    5D mk1 - still got it?
    5D mk2 - awesome of course but not cheap

Thing is, i'm really tempted by full frame, thats why i'm looking at the 5D's. I really want one! :D
    Is it risky going second hand with a 5D mk1? And if so should I be looking for gems?

Funny I should ask that, as my 300D was a ebay job. :D

Thanks, will probably add to this later too...

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

The 550D is actually more closely related to the 7D than the 50D.

Having been in your shoes (except for me, full frame was not an option) I would recommend the 50D if video is not too important and the 550D if it is.

The 7D is very pricey for a 550D on steroids and from what I hear, the movie mode on the 550D is better.

3. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

What is it that you want that the 300D doesn't do?

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Sick of how sodding slow and noisy it is. :) Easy win on upgrade really.
    Also fancy fullframe too...

5. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

If it wasn't for the full frame aspect I'd say you'd be welcome to drive up and play with my 40D some time.

6. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

I love my 50D's speed but when shooting at that speed it isn't the quietest thing in the world. Not terrible, but definitely not silent.

7. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

When talking about speed, and referring to FPS, there simply are no quiet cameras. I think he meant speed in an overall sense. Focusing, clearing buffers, write speed, metering; all that good stuff.

FWIW, the 5DmkI was never a speedy camera despite the awesome sensor that was in it. The mkII is better, but the AF is still neutered IMO. I doubt that will be an issue for most, but something to be aware of none the less.

Edit: if you aren't look for the bells and whistles (and have EF lenses), I'd look at a used 5D. If you want a more modern body and intend to use all the doodads, the 7D (for 5~7 years and then the 5DmkIV or what ever). If you have the $2,200 AND the lenses to use on it....then the mkII.

Last edited: 24 May 2010
  8. Vers

Vers ...

At this point in time I'd be inclined to look into the 7D, 5D or 5DII depending on your needs and budget. If you find yourself FL restricted and AF is a major determinant then the 7D is the best option. The fact that it can take EF-S lenses is also a big plus. If top notch IQ and low light performance* (ISO+center point AF) is what you're after then the 5 series will get you it. As JJ mentioned above the sensors in the 5D/5DII are great, but the AF lags pretty far behind. Center point is fantastic (the 5D's being nearly as good as my 1DIII's and the 5DII's reportedly as good) but the outer/peripheral AF points are rubbish...especially when shooting AI servo using wide aperture lenses (forget about low contrast/low light performance). That said, the reason I did not pick up a 5DII is because of Canon's decision to use the same AF sensor as the 5D. I went with the 1DIII and couldn't be happier.

It really comes down to what you plan to shoot, your shooting style and your budget.

9. Kuni D

Kuni D What's a Dremel?

Speaking from my own experience, I also started with a 300D. After a couple of years I just got fed up with how slow it was!

Then I had my kit stolen :( Insurance company offered to give me a 450D, but instead I opted for the cash and bought a 40D body. Wow is all I can say, what a difference! Yes the speed came, but build quality, controls and whole feel of the thing just really worked for me.

At that time the 50D was out and I toyed with looking at one, but I kept hearing the improvement over the 40D was marginal at best so I thought I'd save a bit of cash.

Couple of years on from that, I've just upgraded to a 7D. To be honest I don't find it drastically better than my 40D in terms of image quality, but its better in terms of tracking fast moving objects I find. Also I'm keen to dabble in a bit of HD video (+ 60fps down to 24fps slow motion) and timelapse so I thought this would be a good time to switch.

If video isn't important to you (whilst its always a nice to have, think how much you'd actually use it), I'd recommend the 40D, it's great value for money and a great stepping stone.

If video isn't important to you and you want to take a bigger step, I'd recommend the 5D Mk1. Amazing body, full frame makes such a huge image quality difference! I had one for a couple of months and really enjoyed using it.

If video is something you want to play with and can see yourself using it a fair bit, I'd say 7D. Maybe it's just me but I'm not a fan of the size of the current xxxD range. The 300D is much similar in size to the 40/50/7/5D's.

That just leaves the 5D Mk2 - if you want video and full frame, it's an easy choice, as long as your budget can stretch!

The thing that stopped me going for a 5D Mk2 was the lack of 50/60fps video and the fact that I'd gotten used to the extra reach I got with a crop sensor! Plus I can't bring myself to stop using my 10-22mm and 17-55mm just yet.

I may upgrade to full frame with the 5D Mk3.

PS, if you do decide to go for a 40D and are thinking about buying used, mines on the market heh :D

10. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I have a 10D and I feel your pain, the thing is SO DAMN SLOW. Everything takes time, trying to see preview actually takes so long you notice getting older.

For me it would be the 550D, as I'm really tempted with the 720p 50 fps video, but for you? Dunno. What lenses have you got? Are they full frame? Gonna get very pricey if you also need to upgrade those. For a hobbyist I, personally, can't justify the price of full frame. Not yet, anyway.

EDIT: Just got a long-time borrow on a 40D. Problem solved ^^

Last edited: 29 May 2010
  11. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I'm fairly certain that it will do 60fps at 720p. I'll double check with my partner today.