1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice My First Build ~ Help Please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Strudul, 31 May 2010.

1. Strudul

Strudul ~

This is my first proper build, and I was wondering if anybody can advise me to do anything differently or notify me of any possible compatibility issues.

At the moment, I was looking at:

Case: NZXT Tempest EVO (maybe Antec Nine Hundred Two or Raidmax Sagittarius 2)
    Processor: INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3
    Memory: G.Skill RipJaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
    Hard Drive: 250Gb
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series
    PSU: (not sure what I will need)
    DVD Drive: (just a cheap one I have)
    Sound Card: (I think I will use integrated one)

So as I said, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :]

2. Somatic

Somatic What's a Dremel?

Agree with the onboard sound, you can always supplement a sound card later if you need it. Looking over the board specification, you should be covered if the DVD drive is IDE interface. If you want SATA, you can usually pick up an OEM one for around £15. Is that an old hard drive you are bringing over?

You would probably be alright with a 500W PSU, but 600/650W would be safer for future growth (more drives/graphics, etc) Antec, Corsair and Seasonic are what I'd recommend. The bit-tech May Buyer's Guide lists OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W for around £60 which could work for you.

I have no experience with that case, did a quick review search and it looks alright. Altneratives to look at could be Antec, Cooler Master, Fractal Designs or Xigmatek. Do you intend to overclock at all? You didn't list an aftermarket cooler for the CPU. Overall, it looks good. What's your budget/intended usage?

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You haven't stated what your budget is...? And what you need to use it for? If its for gaming, what resolution screen?

And for the case the 902 or HAF 922 would be better performers.

4. snooky32

snooky32 What's a Dremel?

If you intend to play any modern games on it you should consider a better graphics card depending on budget.

Also you might consider a hard drive such as the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb as you simply get more bang for your buck, £/Gb wise, than a lot of smaller models.

I only have experience of Antec cases and can recommend these highly.

5. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I would suggest a 5770 graphics card if your on a budget.
    Don't forget extra case fans like Silent Eagles or some such.
    Good TIM is very important too. I swear by Arctic Cooling Silver 5.
    Google some cable management guides. It is very important to airflow that you tidy your cables out of the way.

Make sure you build on a big flat surface like the dinning room table (make sure to take off the table cloth, you can use some newspaper if you want to protect your table.)

Make sure you ground yourself before you touch any components.
    I'm a bit ghetto and plug in my psu switch it on and hold on to it for a few seconds as all PSU's casings are grounded for safety reasons.

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

7. Marine-RX179

Marine-RX179 What's a Dremel?

That looks like a generic 620W PSU considering the price...

8. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

It is a coolmaster PSU. Which while not wonderful are cheap and stable, just dont expect modular cables or 80%+ efficiency.

I used this deal a year ago to build a friend a PC and it has been running very well.

9. deadlyavenger

deadlyavenger What's a Dremel?

If you want to use it for gaming I'd definitely recommend a better graphics card - a 5770 as others have said is a great card and will play most games with good settings at normal resolutions.

As for a power supply - I'd recommend something in the 500-600w region should be sufficient and give you some headroom to expand later on.

HDD - pointless getting a 250Gb these days when you can get a decent 1Tb drive for £60-80.

10. nathanddave

nathanddave What's a Dremel?

Yh these days you do need to get a 1TB hard drive, for my build I am going to get the Samsung F3 1TB at just under £60, bit-tech has recommended it as well.

We do need an idea of the sort of budget you intend to have in order to get an idea of what we think you should get :thumb:

11. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Huh?

This is on the link provided...

"620W PSU (installed in the case) - 20+4pin, 2x SATA, 4x Molex, 12cm Fan - Customer note: The PSU is not a coolermaster model."

Whatever you buy, do yourself a favour and buy a good quality PSU, it is crucial really.

A Corsair 650W TX (£78.20) or an Antec TruePower New 650W Modular (£84.99) and you can't go wrong.

Last edited: 31 May 2010
  12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

+1 on all the above

@MSHunter - You really need to read stuff. The PSU had alarm bells ringing for me as soon as I saw it. Without a good PSU everything else is pointless as it could blow and kill everything at any moment!

13. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

^ This, people always overlook the PSU, it's probably the most important part of the system.

It's like skimping on car tires, those 4 pieces of rubber are all that attach the car to the ground!

14. olimorgan

olimorgan What's a Dremel?

If your trying to save money then get a good quality PSU like an antec truepower but I doubt you'll need 650w for what you've got planned.

15. Strudul

Strudul ~

Right, this is what I have decided, but I still need help...

Case: NZXT Tempest EVO - I like the 6 fans it comes with
    Processor: changed my mind, I think I might get AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
    Motherboard: Not sure, can anyone help please?
    Memory: What can I use? Can I use 1600Mhz still? Some people have said you can only use 1300Mhz and then you have to overclock.
    Hard Drive: 250Gb - scavenging form old pc, will upgrade later
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series - scavenging form old pc, will upgrade later
    PSU: I have got a 400W one, will this be enough
    DVD Drive: (just a cheap one I have)
    Sound Card: (I will use integrated one)
    Overclocking: not yet, maybe in the future after some more upgrades
    Main Use: Gaming and internet
    Budget: about 450ish, but i do already have gfx card, HDD, PSU and I don't need sound card

Thanks