1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Xbox 360 case mods

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by llb443, 2 Jun 2010.

1. llb443

llb443 Assassins do it from behind.

Hi everyone, I have done a few Xbox case mods. Seen below:
    (some old, some new, some better than others)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I have been thinking about doing my first how-to or project log. Basically to share what I have done and what I have learnt... I am just wondering would anybody be interested in a "write-up" or is this not really the place to be posting this kind of thing?

Just looking for opinions/thought...

All opinions welcome, thanks llb443.

2. joedpwd

joedpwd What's a Dremel?

I would like to know how you made those mods.

3. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Very nice job my friend, I am very interested on your mods and your tutorials. I believe this is modding too, besides case modding is all about modifying cases to look more xtreme :)
    Bring it on! :)

4. Rozzy

Rozzy I'll get there :P

I don't really know if I'd take on doing it myself, but it would definitely be very nice to see a work log or even a guide as to how you've done it. They all look very impressive.

I don't know why but it seems so much scarier dismantling my precious xbox than my more than precious pc :p

But write-ups = yes please :D :D :D

5. llb443

I've had about 200 views now... I wish even 10% of people commented and told me what they think... but if you two are my only 2 fans then so be it, lol... Its 2 more fans than I had last week...

6. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

This is exactly the place for a project log, it is the wrong place for just posting some pictures. They are all very nice but I think the majority of people would like to see how you done it.

7. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

I was actually thinking about possibly moddoing my xbox case, so yes this would definatly be of interest.

8. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

I did something like this to my original xbox a couple years ago. It's a lot of fun.

9. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I'd say go for it, I don't recall seeing to many xbox mods on here and if anyone says it doesn't qualify, thats a load of crap, after all it's still a computer and it's a mod.Thats good enough for me.
    Get writing my old mate:thumb:

10. llb443

I have something in mind that is not 100% original, but it is new for me. So hopefully it will be alot of fun, and make an interesting write-up... lets just say, that I am thinking of calling it the

Xbox Wii-sixty

its so corny that it might just stick...

Can anyone recommend a online shop to get cheap bits n bobs; in specific:

heatshrink tubing, wires (like the wires inside a telephone extension), need a new soldering iron (one time buy), solder, toggle switches, push buttons, LEDs... etc (you get the idea)

i wonna save as much money on these components as possible, (cos the cost of the rest is likely mount up)

:dremel::dremel:

11. phenoptix

phenoptix What's a Dremel?

We can supply the heatshrink, wire (30 AWG Kynar) and LEDs from our website or ebay. There's a seller on ebay called solderman, might be the thesolderman - they're pretty good for soldering irons, solder and flux. If you want to do a lot of 360 stuff you might want SMD tweezers, personally I find using them harder than an iron with a decent thin tip. Might want to look at some of RDCs stuff on xbox-scene for inspiration, could always look up Dano2k's posts too, he was responsible for the first watercooled 360 on the scene. I wonder if it's still functioning actually.

12. llb443

Are smd tweezers just tweezers, cos i have just been using my regular household tweezers to hold the smd in place while soldering. And also I have been using a soldering iron that has no thermal/watt control, it just goes straight into the plug socket. it has a tip that is as fat as a bic biro, and it has now started getting all wobbly. up till now though, it did the job... I would like a decent soldering iron, i just know that it will make the whole job alot easier.

I have seen a couple of watercooled xboxes, but i have never used water cooling, and i dont think that this project is where/when im going to start... Im sure i will explore posibilities in the future though.

thanks for the info, i am gonna have a look at your shop now...

13. 6481

6481 What's a Dremel?

Ey, great job!

Of course we want a log or a how to guide! Every one looks great... what kind of light do you use? They look like small cold cathodes, but im not sure...

14. llb443

Yeah, 4" CCFL, the inverter is trickier to place on the newer models of xbox 360 though...

one ccfl had to be modded to fit inside the case aswell.

I will start my first ever write up in 6 days... until then I am ordering everything that i need. so that there will be minimal, or no time awaiting deliveries...

15. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

Please let us all know when you start your log. Do you plan on watercooling your 360?

If all else fails and you are looking for modding supplies: www.performance-pcs.com has a lot of kit for cheap prices. I bought 12 LEDs and 139 feet of 1/8th" cable sleeving for around $49.00

And now you have one more fan because I will be following also. :thumb:

As far as I'm concerned you are modding a case with a mobo, cpu, gpu, and an optical drive. I'm pretty sure that qualifies hahaha.

Last edited: 4 Jun 2010
  16. llb443

I am in the UK,and i prefer to use UK based suppliers, the postage is usually alot cheaper and alot faster... i think i will stick to ebay for the little things...

I am gonna leave the watercooling on this mod, and also I am gonna be making this mod for my personal use. so it will be to serve a performance as opposed to appearance (I will obviously have appearence in mind). I have lost 3 xboxes to the red lights... and between me and my family we have been through no less than 16 xboxes. I aim to make an xbox that will never break, (as well as other improvements)...

I am totally new to this type of modding, usually i just follow tutorials. so i'm just about to start a thread which will soon be riddled with questions...

llb443

17. 6481

6481 What's a Dremel?

Time minus 6 and counting..... =D

18. lxrysprtmscl

lxrysprtmscl Minimodder

i am interested in knowing.
    i have plans to mod my xbox 360.
    so would definitely follow your project log.

lxrysprtmscl

19. dembones

dembones What's a Dremel?

your xbox's look really good, makes me want to buy yet another one so i can mod it ... and play band hero

20. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Electronics componenets like what you want can be easily acquired in the UK through Maplins. Can't remember entirely whether bit-tech allows direct links to retailers so i'll just leave it as me telling you its maplin.co.uk. They have everything you stated and a whole lot more (and no i dont work for them lol)

On another note i'll be watching this in great detail since all i've had the guts to do to my 3-shizzle is paint the case :worried:

Last edited: 5 Jun 2010