1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Looking For Way to Build This

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Xenith, 3 Jun 2010.

1. Xenith

Xenith What's a Dremel?

I've been working on a 3D model of the case I'm hoping to build this summer. The design comes from the train in Bioshock 2. I just don't know how I could make the different extrusions and details without a CNC machine.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could make the extrusions? I will most likely be using Aluminum sheets.

It may be a little difficult seeing the different extrusions, but all the letters are pushed in, the window frames and such.

[​IMG]

2. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Maybe use wood instead as it is easier to engrave/carve?

3. Xenith

Xenith What's a Dremel?

Ohh I didn't think of that! What kind of wood would be good for a case like this?

4. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

I'd say that using Walnut is a good idea, mainly because of the look you'd achieve :p

5. asura

asura jack of all trades

Or you could be a brave feller and try repoussé? Think panel beating for people with O.C.D.

6. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

I did a bit of research recently into making louvre vents and I'm sure the same system of male and female moulds would work :) might cost you a few bob to make though.. I'd say either use wood to engrave or use 2 sheets of thinner aluminium. Cut out the detail from one and then stick them together.

7. Xenith

Xenith What's a Dremel?

That is a great idea! I'll definitely be looking into that.

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

8. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

Definitely wood in terms of ease of engraving/modelling but if your really not worried about how easy it is then I agree with Editor22 about using 2 sheets of aluminium (1mm) and maybe use a dremel to do the engraving?

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

easiest way would be to use thin sheet and layer it up. So basically cut out the lettering on one sheet, then layer that on a solid sheet.