1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Blur PC Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Jun 2010.

1. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

I wasn't very impressed with the graphics for Blur or Split Second on PC. They both look like Xbox games even with all the graphics settings maxed. Not as pretty as Dirt 2 or GRID.

Both fun games tho and if you like one you'll enjoy the other.

I agree which is why it's annoying that neither Blur or Split Second have displayed the onscreen button prompts for the xbox360 controller. For example it says things like press button 2 to open a new route (Split Second) or press DEL to select car mods (Blur) and I think what button's that meant to be on my pad?

2. rollo

rollo Modder

blur and split second for the pc are both standard racers nout special really.

split second is really really short take a couple of hours at best to play through it

blur isnt too bad for lengh of game.

Grid and dirt 2 are far better games for the pc no dout about it.

3. daveloft

daveloft What's a Dremel?

I like the fact that I only have to buy 1 copy for my wife and I to play. With PC games I usually need to buy 2 copies. This is like the first PC game in forever to support split screen. Next time my friends are over I will have them bring their Xbox gamepads. 4 player split screen should be a riot.

4. Lemure

Lemure What's a Dremel?

Now if only they would make a game that combines both Split/Second and Blur.

5. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Glad to hear the visuals are good, they were rather lacklustre in the 'xbox beta'

6. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

This.

Licensed cars Cheesecake.
    Destructible scenery Cheesecake.
    Decent singleplayer career Cheesecake.

7. Mathmarauder

Mathmarauder What's a Dremel?

Any chance you could comment on the mechanics and performance of split-screen on the PC version? I'm curious how well an i5 750 and gtx 260 216 will run the game with 4 players. Also can I use 1 wired 360 controlled and 3 wireless?

8. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Exactly what I thought. I was looking forward to this until I realised it was from Activision.

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

they already have

[​IMG]

10. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Not only are the visuals pretty poor for a new PC game, there's also very little graphics options to tweak.

Split Second is even worse with only 4 settings: Low, Med, High, Very High (IIRC) and a 30 frames per second cap with no options to tweak individual things like AA, shadows etc. Unfortunatly even with my i7 920 & 4870X2 it runs jerky on Very High but never drops below the 30fps cap on High so it would be nice to have a play to improve the visuals until the fps begin to drop below the 30 cap.

Both are pretty shoddy console ports, but despite that, both are still fun. :)

11. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Unfortunately it's priced like a console game atm, can't be had for much less than £25.

I'm used to buying new PC titles at £18 a piece now :(

12. rollo

rollo Modder

blur will run fine on the 260 mensioned above at 1920 x 1080 just dont crank the AA up too high.

split second is hard capped to 30 fps and is a very poor console port. on very high my 5870 shows signs of lag and slow down. Can run crysis but not split second sweet lol. Dropped down to high sorts most issues.

They ment to patching split second so that the performance is fixed we shall see on that one

13. DeepCut

DeepCut What's a Dremel?

14. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

LOL:D

15. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Couple friends and I are playing Blur on Sunday at 3pm central time, anyone is welcome to join us.

PM me your screen name and skype info.

Make sure your NAT Type is "Open" in the game settings
    http://www.bizarrecreations.com/forum/v ... 45&t=18859

I've played Split Second and predict Blur will have longer playability. The biggest difference is the cars in Split/Second are easier to control. Split/Second's graphics are more realistic, while blur looks like a Pixar animated movie (which is ironic, since S/S is by Disney). After a couple races, I figured out all of driving physics in S/S. The visuals in S/S are kick-ass, but you don't have that "edge of your seat" experience of Blur on Multiplayer. That is where Blur outshines S/S. Both games have features that the other doesn't, which will make these two games debated forever. I will play against friends and jump out of my seat and yell at the screen, while S/S is reserved for days I just wanna chill out on the couch.

BLUR:
    - 60 fps
    - Licensed real automobile models
    - Each car's handling characteristics are similar to real car.
    - Vibrant colors
    - Sound F/X are excellent!
    - Multiplay allows up to 20 people (best played with 10, so you can enjoy racing aspect too)
    - Cars require good skills to gain lap time.
    - Weaponry: "Power-ups" offer temporary protection, Nitrous boosts in speed, offensive and defensive weapons. "Power-ups" are placed in stationary positions throughout the track and can be re-used, similar to Mario kart. "Power-ups" add strategy to the game play. If you used properly, they can give you advantage over better drivers or protect your position.

Split / Second
    - 30 fps
    - Fictional automobile models
    - Cool cinematic effects like road disintegrating before your car, silos collapsing and dodging 747 as it's land on Runway!
    - Multi-play is limited to 8 people
    - Cars are easier than blur to drive, very stable at high speeds.
    - Weaponry: You trigger "Power-plays" which are traps and explosives on the track. Don't require much strategy.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2010
  16. mnpctech

btw My blur screen name is "MonsterMawd" ...

17. daveloft

daveloft What's a Dremel?

Had some friends over on the weekend and it was amazing playing 4 player split screen on the HDTV. My friends went and bought it the next day. As a racer Grid is better but for overall fun factor Blur is awesome.

18. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

Where's the Blur Demo, which platform?

Split Second demo is great, it feels like what Flat Out always wanted to be. Shame the PC demo is gimped to 640x480.

19. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

I read somewhere else that Blur is a fun LAN party game. I'm definately getting it. Our groups been looking for a new racing game. We've been playing Flatout 2 for years now (destruction derby mode for the most part) now and it only supports 8 players

Thanks for listing those specs mnpctech

20. mnpctech

My blur tag is MonsterMawd, feel free to add :thumb:

I currently have a "blur racing" theme PC I'm building on TMB, here. As soon as I get my FUZION project log finished, I'll migrate it over to bit-tech. Quite a few TMB members are playing blur, so my worklog thread has become a "blur game chat" forum for everyone :D When the devs get the Multiplayer issues soprted, we plan to organize a "blur" racing night.

Tags: Add Tags