1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unstable Machine

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Phalanx, 4 Jun 2010.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I'm getting the "UNSTABLE MACHINE" error when trying to run my GPU client on my server. The GPU is a 8400GS and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong :(

CPU client works fine.

2. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

It may not be anything that you are doing, but it *may* be a hardware issue. Or it *may* be a particular WU that would have failed any way, whoever got it.

Is there another GPU card in the system?
    Are you getting a whole lot of EUEs, and then the client goes to sleep for 24 hrs?
    What is the temperature of the GPU?
    Have you tried the GPU memory test tool found on the Stanford site?

3. Norfolk'N'Good

Norfolk'N'Good Folding Chimp

Have you used Rivatuner to crank the GPU fan up to 100%?

4. Phalanx

It doesn't have a fan, it's a GS, silent running (simply a heatsink attached).

I'm not running any other GPUs in the system.
    Yeah I'm getting loads of UNSTABLE MACHINE errors, then it just gives up for 24 hours each time.
    I'll try the memory tool.

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

It'd guess it's overheating. Most cards with fans on need to be run at 100% so a fanless one would need a lot of airflow in the case.

6. Phalanx

OK saspro, never mind. I wasn't too concerned about this machine, as it's simply my file server. I thought I'd try getting it to help out the rest of my build (once I pick it up from you). Never mind, I'll set it up just to do what it should (serve files). Thanks anyway.

7. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

I'd also point out that were you to get it going, you'd be highly unlikely to get many points out of it. The 8400gs has a pitiful 16 CUDA cores in, you'd be looking at around 500 points per day.

If you still want to get it going, I suggest that you zip-tie a low-rpm fan so that it is blowing at the cooler. It will keep the air moving around the HSF, resulting in dramatically lower temperatures.

8. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

As has already been suggested you should add a fan to the card - passively cooled graphics cards will cook themselves when folding.

9. Phalanx

Yeah, never mind. I just thought I'd give it a try and see if it would work as it is. As it's in my file server, I don't want to start adding more noise. Never mind :)

10. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

It doesn't have to be a fast fan, anything that moves air at any speed will work really well, basically.

What's happening at the moment is that the air around the GPU is getting hotter, but there's nothing to move it away. So, it just keeps getting hotter, and eventually your gpu gets too hot. Any fan, even if it's just a 80mm one from five years ago, will slowly change that air, keeping the GPU from getting too hot.

11. Lehmann

Lehmann What's a Dremel?

i didnt think any 8400gs would fold?

12. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Any 8 series card will fold, but its just a question of how much. Obviously a 8400GS will not give mad points.

13. Lehmann

Lehmann What's a Dremel?

Mine wouldnt new card new drivers. though i didnt buy it to fold just needed a cheap card for my i7 rig