1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: OSIDIAS - Carbon fiber and 3D printed SFF (Jan. 2, 2020)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 2 Jun 2010.

1. oliverw92

oliverw92 What's a Dremel?

Ok that is mad :D Reallly nice work!

2. soul_train

soul_train What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop:

Are you Kiding i'm not ready to see something so HOT like that :D:D you really wanna kill me! This will be something amazing that we will remember forever!

Keep it coming mate :dremel:

3. Pikey

Pikey What's a Dremel?

Jizz.

4. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

Nice work! I went on AeroSpace Composites website and checked out how much one of these setups are for all the equipment needed, it is kind of costly, around $300.

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

want!

shame it couldn't be a reversed mould due to having to have split lines.

This shall be epic, and Langer might have competition even if his new project gets off the ground.

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

There's the reason I will never touch this stuff. My OCD *ss would mix the epoxy until it was nearly cured.:hehe:
    There's no way I would get finished in the required time. Have you thought of getting an assistant, or would that make things worse.

7. shomann

shomann Minimodder

I was thinking about this too purely from a finish perspective. Still, I am really looking forward to what this comes out looking like.

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I think a squirrel mixer is required here

9. shomann

shomann Minimodder

I swear I thought that was a joke until I watched the video. Cool.

10. murtoz

murtoz Busy procrastinating

QFT

I remember when you started the concept thread... to be honest I'd given up hope of ever seeing this turn into reality - not because I didn't think you would do it but because it was the only way to cope with the wait! ;-)

or in one short word: YAY!

11. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Come on its monday! Where is thy carbonic update?!? :D

12. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

In fact, it is almost Tuesday where I am... I want to know what is under the bag!

Er... I know that there is carbon fibre under the bag... but I want to see it!

13. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

It has begun! Fantastic work! :thumb:

14. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

:D

Thanks! It will be a day or two before the CF comes off the mold, and then all the cutting begins. I don't think many realize it, but I've got to take 5cm off of each side of the case. It's currently oversized...

Thanks talladega. If I add less hardener, I run the risk of it not hardening correctly. I was better off just to finish it as is.

There are currently 5 layers of fiber. I'm going to be adding one more. That will get me just a hair over 2mm. I didn't overlap on the seams, I matched end to end. So, there are no visible ridges in the case.

Thanks mate!

Thanks! That's exactly what I'm trying to do.

I appreciate it Danny!

Haha, thanks Oliver.

Lol, thanks Carlos. I appreciate it!

Lol, nice.

It does add up initially. However, if plan on getting some use out of it, then it may be worthwhile.

Having a traditional mold would have possible made for a better finished product, but would have driven me insane during the layering process.

I'm hoping for something pretty cool in the end, but I'll never be able to go with titanium like Jesse. The CF was at the upper limit of my material budget. :D

Lol, I could see you stirring until the mixing stick just stopped moving. I'm not sure an assistant would help. I just needed to work faster. However, any parts I do after this point, will be much smaller in scale.

Well, when I got home last night, I did unbag it, and honestly the results were a little mixed. The carbon fiber itself looked perfect, but the resin did not. It was thicker in some areas, and thinner in others. This was due to the resin hardening before I was ready. If I were to use it as is, I'd need some surface prep to make it look pretty, and I expected anyway. However, I will be adding one more layer of CF and not bagging that final layer, so things should look much better then.

Lol, that thing is awesome! It would probably make foam out of the resin though. :D

Lol.

You're not the only one who thought I'd never get it started. Now I'm committed... until I'm committed. :D

Lol, I should specify... by the end of Monday, central standard time.

You guys from the future are killing me. :D :lol:

Thanks mate! I appreciate it!

15. craigbru

Wow, that may have been the biggest multi-quote response I've ever made. Lol. I'm currently at work, and will see what I can get done tonight. As I mentioned above, I'm not completely happy with the resin surface as it is. I'll be sanding it, and applying the last layer of CF. That should allow the case to be cosmetically perfect, and allow me to be happy when I look at it.

16. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

What will this carbon goodness house?

17. craigbru

Wow, it would probably be easier to list what it doesn't include... :D

In a completely random order...

-Two 240.2 radiators and pump for watercooling
    -matx motherboard w/ waterblocks on CPU, northbridge, and mosfets
    -pair of Vapor-X 5780's
    -Aquaero and multiswitch
    -secondary pico-itx system
    -full size psu
    -2 full size hard drives, 2 laptop drives, 2 SSD's, and a blu-ray slotload drive
    -wireless access point
    -5 port ethernet hub
    -side mounted LCD windows
    -3rd computer system on front of the case via a Viliv UMPC.

Anyway, you get the idea. :thumb:

18. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

My head is spinning! :thumb:

19. shomann

shomann Minimodder

There is a video Craig prepared floating out there in the interwebz (I could linky, but I want you to earn it ;) ) that details exactly what he has planned. It's insane - in a good way. If your head is spinning after a simple list of components, it will be full-on Exorcist time after you see it.

Personally, I think Craig is just trying to cement his position as overlord of the SFF community. And I am OK with that.

20. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Sweet work so far Craig, it's looking awesome. I can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve.