1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Crazy New Graphics Cards from PowerColor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 7 Jun 2010.

1. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Half height 5770 is a fantastic idea I think, now really tiny cases can have decent GPUs.

And the Evolution card is a great idea too, as it'll be a minority of motherboards that come with the Hydra on, so this allows others to boost their graphics quite easily.
    If it came out now, and was decently priced, I might even buy one to pair with my 4870 :eek:

2. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

damn. I've always been a sapphire person when it comes to ATI cards but I'm going to have to give PowerColor a chance next time around if nVidia doesn't have something more attractive (which right now they don't).

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Has anyone dealt with the possible issues that the Hydra chips may cause if you have one on your new Motherboard and another of the GPU card itself? Or will it be a simple like onboard sound Vs Soundcard and one is dominant or manually swtiched off?

4. Teh C

Teh C Arg

the half height 5770 looks interesting, although there are very limited uses for the other cards

5. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

I'm actually happy to switch eyefinity on/off depending on the game given many are not supported properly - similar to 3d vision or phys x

its more the ability to use which ever card gives the better experiance on a case by case basis - similarly if I can get an improvement in games which make no use of any of the above then all the better.

I think its the best of all worlds without having to get a new (expensive) mobo....

btw - it would make less sense if games actually maxed out my existing graphics card - but they dont, I just want to get some of the ati goodness without losing the benefits of my nvidia card.

6. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

As with others, half height 5770 sounds very good. If they do something with its price equivilent 6xxx next year when i get around to building my new system then i'd be very happy. Id love a miniITX system that is still powerful enough for 1080p gaming, seems very much that we're only a year or so off from my ideal computer.

7. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

8. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

wow they might just have something with hydra on the Graphics card and that 12 display port card.... holly... lol I guess I could have a wall of monitors lol sheesh would be insane.

9. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

I thought you found that NICs simply didn't measure up to integrated network ports in a previous article.

10. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

its a shameless gimmick.

a Killer NIC doesnt really improve performance that much. it might save you some CPU revs as all of the network processing is offloaded on to the Killer NIC but not enough to warrant spending over £100 on. you'd see more of a difference if you put that money towards:

Faster harddrive,

new graphics card (sell you old one to make up some of the cash for the new one)

more RAM (maybe not so much though as most of us are already running with at least 4-8gb of ram anyway)

dedicated soundcard - to offload all the sound processing off the cpu,

11. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

That's some pretty sweet new tech

12. deadlyavenger

deadlyavenger What's a Dremel?

Some nice looking cards...I have been looking for a low-profile card for a while for a HTPC build - that would do perfectly!!

13. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

extra 30 dollars on a network card that gives better connection? nah..
    extra 30 dollars on a VGA that gives better connection? yeah, maybe..

question is: does the bigfoot IC do any true good? (i should search it, shoot me)

14. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The Hydra card is interesting..

Now to put it into say, a HD5850? Still Powercolor is showing it's prowesss of engineering even if some of the stuff is a bit superfluous.

15. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Oooh, that Hydra Tech looks very intriguing. The ability to use any GPU on the board looks great for upgraders - why take out that GPU that is getting older when it can compliment a new card and bump the specs up a bit higher? All in all I hope it takes off!

16. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Hydra is good in theory, but still the problem is execution, software issues are abundant even if they have repaired it, you still get abysmal scaling compared to the SLI/Crossfire.

The good thing though is still backwards compatability, so you can link up those old X1900XTs or something, although it's inefficient to an extent, it's cheaper and it provides something. But at the core the fact that 100% scaling still isn't possible yet makes this still not a viable option.

If only they could magically get that 100%..

17. darren263

darren263 What's a Dremel?

HaHA! I have already seen the great thing!!!

18. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

The half height HD5770 looks great. The card with the onboard Hydra looks interesting but given the results from the motherboard test I won't hold my breath in terms of performance.

The other two seem a little pointless although will probably have their extreme niches.

19. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

I have an old graphics card in a drawer, even 10% scaling would be good value :) though I have seen stats that show lucid can get negative scaling in some cases.

20. eldrivetime

eldrivetime NetMonkeyBoy

Powercolor = pants. No uk support for faults.

Tags: Add Tags