1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Consumers not interested in Natal, Move

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Jun 2010.

1. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

Doesn't say a whole lot. The vast majority of the market only knows about something when it lands in the shop near their home. Only tech geeks like us know about product launches even before they are officially announced.

2. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Not necessarily. You just added those two percentages together, but they are not mutually exclusive.

3. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Surprise, consumers not interested in something they haven't heard of because it's not out yet.

Nintendo has taught me over the years to never, ever write off a idea because it sounds crazy/dumb. Their entire hardware line-up was laughed at by most of the gaming press and gamers.

As for Natal, I'm personally quite interested in its non-gaming functionality. I'm hoping Microsoft has more software like the media center gesture controls. No doubt there will be some fun/silly games, but jumping around hitting invisible balls doesn't really appeal to me.

4. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Even if it's not mutually exclusive, it still implies that at minimum 8% of people who have heard of them want to buy Natal or Move, and at maximum 14% do.

In terms of only gamers having heard of it, that's unsurprising, but what is surprising is that such a large percentage of what we can assume to be the more hardcore gamers ie who would know about Natal actually want it.

The Wii only really appealed to families, but this seems as though it would be appealing to most people.

5. urbtree

urbtree What's a Dremel?

i`d be interested to know if this will be pc adaptable it`d make a nice media center remote

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

:hehe:

I play Warcraft III, GTR, Gran Turismo , NHL, the Monkey Island series and many other games that aren't first person shooters and guess what, none (except Monkey Island) of those games can be played at 100% with this type of controller

RTS - It would be a pain to try to select your unit and to click on your enemies unless they'd be 3 times better than on a PC

Racing games - If I want to drive I'll take my own car or my G25, I won't hold a rectangular thing in front of me and pretend I am driving.

NHL - If all you do is point and click, how can you make your player deke anything ? Modern NHL games need a combination of 2 joysticks for that and it's already hard. There's no way anyone could deke and move their arms around to shoot the damn puck

Plateformers - Playing MegaMan and jumping over obstacles by moving the controller upward ? Seriously ? That'd be sh*t

Monkey Island - Fine. It's slow, relaxing and doesn't require precision

My point is that motion controller are just not precise, comfortable and quick enough to be used for most of the games. They're a gimmick and are only a compromise. Unless the game emulates a real human activity (like bowling or ping pong) then motion controllers are utterly pointless and annoying

7. Blassster

Blassster What's a Dremel?

Leave the dinky motion gaming genre to the Wii. Stick with a real controller, make the game good, and I will buy the game. I hate the Wiimote. </spaz>

8. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

To be fair racing games work better than most for that type of controller. If only the wii controller was actually sensitive enough or had force feedback.........

I remember playing PES on the wii. Holy smeg, you control one player, control the player off the ball the same "drag and drop" way. Not only are you micro managing every player at high speed but your also waving your arms around trying to get your idiot player to shoot just because the controller lags a few seconds behind. I call It football for women. You seriously need to multitask like a champion.

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

The problem is they've only really shown off tech demos, in everyone's eyes right now it's going to be nothing more than a nice idea until they actually show some actual games using it.

10. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

This is all well and good tech demo stuff, but they need to hold off until they're ready to push out a new console. Seriously, no ones in a hurry to get motion control on the PS3 or 360. But these are getting old. Both MS and Sony were like... "no, these consoles will last ten years before we come out with a new one". But surely any gamer new they were talking out of their rears. Sure, you need to support a certain lifespan or risk alienating the customers, but 4 to 5 years is plenty of time. Tech keeps making progress and we need to be looking forward. The next xbox needs Bluray. Yes, it does. And the next gens need full 3d support @1080p120hz out of the box. In fact, I think its high time we move past that even. We need support for 2 to 4 monitors at 1080p120hz on a console, I'm not kidding. If they want to compete with PC, consoles need to step up with the high end features. And they all need a standard hard drive bay so you can stick a 1tb in it without issues, full usb and full bluetooth support for controllers, keyboards, mice. If any of them did this at under $500 US, which is more than doable, it would fly off the shelves.

11. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Sony have already lost a lot of money with the PS3. Personally, I don't see any big investments from them on new tech until their old tech is not selling as well because the marketplace is exhausted.

There, you seem to be billing a console that you want, rather than a console that will sell well.

Like them or not, gamepads are quite versatile - you can play with them sitting down, standing up, lying on the floor. If you give the option of a mouse and keyboard, you'd see games of someone with a mouse just going around thrashing the people with gamepads. The alternative would be forcing mouse and keyboard, which would be rubbish for most games, and it would serve well to remove a lot of that balance.
    PS3s already have standard hard drive bays IIRC, you can fit any 2.5" hard drive in there without much difficulty.
    Monitor wise, you're forgetting that the vast majority of console gamers play on tvs. I have plenty of rich friends, and none of them have more than one TV in the same room.

Also, everything's so volatile nowadays. We're seeing a massive move towards digital distribution, personally I'd put good money on Microsoft or Sony making a device without optical media support, just because they'd have more control with stuff like piracy if everything went digital, and the game developers would have more control with second hand games etc.

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

wont happen for a long time yet, there are a lot of countries that dont have an online infrastructure capable.

13. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

I disagree. Xbox Live is currently offered in 26 countries, and of those only India, Italy and Mexico have average internet speeds less than 5Mb/sec according to Ookla (the people who run Speedtest.com). Britain is one of the slowest, and we've done fine with Steam. Some countries have lower limits than the UK, such as Australia, but even there, Internode offer free downloading from their own servers, so that's not such a big deal.

If the next Playstation were to come in 2013, speeds would be higher and faster than ever, and could well offer the bandwidth required to download games.

14. javaman

All payed for with what? In case you haven't noticed the country is broke and on top of that the Olympics are in 2012. BT certainly aren't gonna pull their finger out and pay for it and even if they did it would take them about 3years to get past the planning stage!

15. knuck

knuck Hate your face

So you're saying they're not good enough ?

;)

16. javaman

More interesting than using an actual controller and kinda feels like a steering wheel...a poor mans steering wheel that is. Wii's tilt feature has potential but can feel like sniping with a low sensitivity mouse, you just feel disconnected, If you get what I mean. Force feed back is always the best part of racing games with a wheel tho, just that extra immersion factor. Rumble wheels dont do it for me anymore :thumb:

17. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

You seem to have missed the point. Steam already works in the UK, and it works fine. Yes, the console markets are significantly larger, but most people don't download games often, so apart from big releases and Christmas, the load would not be significantly higher, and even that could be partially abated by pre-loading before the release day, as Steam does for some games.

I'm not saying we'll need a massive overhaul before this could be a reality. I'm saying that it would work well in most places.

There could be other ways of doing it. Dedicated server booths in shops which serve the customers over high speed lan (plug your device in, buy game, it installs it for you, etc).

I just think that optical media sales are going over a cliff at the moment. I personally know about thirty people who own a PS3, but I also know about five who use it for bluray and suchlike. DVD sales are dropping, and the Xbox 360 now has Netflix streaming (I think only in America). Relatively soon, it will not make economic sense to include a DVD drive, as infrastructures get more capable.

You'd probably still be able to buy games at a shop, but you wouldn't get physical media. It would be like Steam, which IMO is an excellent way of selling games.

18. Xir

Xir Modder

Correct, if they find a "Killer" Application, they will sell.

Funny though that Mikrosoft, who had an excellent line of Force Feedback devices (Joysticks, Wheels) abandoned these years ago and now want to get back into controllers.

19. Xir

Xir Modder

Microsoft announces Project NATAL to be named Kinect
    Natal to Kinect german
    Showed off a lightsabergame :D , a petting zoo :eyebrow:, MTV Dance Central :grr: Kinetic Sport (where do they get these new, refreshing ideas?) and "a Yoga Game" (balanceboard, anyone?)
    I for one welcome the lords of new gaming ideas...where's my mouse and keyboard, I need some frags to forget this. :D

20. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

I don't imagine the survey has that result.

I imagine the survey went like this:

Do you know what natal/move is?

If so, would you buy it?

So that 8% of people who would buy natal are 8% of people who know what it is. Not 8% of everyone surveyed. Though that is just speculation and I don't know.

Tags: Add Tags