1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Newly Built PC not Booting

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by 1nsignia, 13 Jun 2010.

1. 1nsignia

1nsignia What's a Dremel?

I've built a new PC, and I get no BIOS screen, the monitor doesn't detect a signal and stays in standby. All the parts seem to be connected right, the fans are whirling (CPU, GPU and case fans), and various lights on the motherboard turn on.

I have (all new):
    • ASRock GX 890 Motherboard
    • AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE (3.2 Mhz)
    • Corsair Dominator 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600Mhz
    • Sesaonic X-750 PSU
    • HIS HD5770 1GB GPU
    • Xonar DX 7.1 Soundcard (PCI-E)
    • Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HDD
    • Samsung Blu-Ray Drive

I've disconnected all the devices, one at a time, and retried the PC, to no luck:
    • Take Soundcard out
    • Take GPU out (use on-board GPU for output)
    • Take HDD & DVD drive connectors out
    • Take all front panel connectors out (USB, HDD LED, Power LED, Reset Switch), leaving just the power button connected
    • Try PC with each memory stick in turn (in case one is bad)
    • Take both memory sticks out (not sure if the PC should boot here - but I assume I should get a BIOS error)
    • Take CPU out (not sure if the PC will boot, but I was at least hoping for some activity from Dr. Debug - see next for what that is)

I've not touched any of the jumpers.

During all of this, the motherboard's built in LCD Dr. Debug screen, never changed from the 00. 00 means (according to the manual), passed control to OS loader.

I'm thinking the problem is with, in order of likely hood:
    1. Motherboard, or
    2. CPU, or
    3. Memory

Anyone have any ideas about what I could try or what might be faulty.

Edit: I've tried the beep speaker on the motherboard (both ways in case I had it connected wrongly), and and no beeps. I'm guessing the fault is so far down, the motherboard hasn't even got to the diagnostics yet in order for the beeper or the Dr. Debug thing to work.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2010
  2. DMU_Matt

DMU_Matt mmmm cheesy

My two cents: You might want to look into PSU being at fault here as more often than not issues similar to this is caused by a faulty PSU (I had a similar issue to this when I put together my latest rig and it was the PSU at fault)

Other than that your right to put motherboard at the top of your list as it is not likely to be your cpu at fault (rarely is).

I see you have tried removing each RAM stick, but have you tried the RAM is different slots? i.e. try each one in each slot and boot up each time. This was another issue I had with that troublesome rig :sigh: - just didn't like my two RAM sticks in slots 4+5.

One last hope, try the HDD in different SATA ports on the board, similar issue and fix to the RAM there.

Hope some of this is helpful to you. :thumb:

Matt

3. 1nsignia

My old PSU was a cheap unbranded one, so I'm currently using the new PSU with my old PC (which I've stuck back in the case), and it works fine.

I'll try what you've said about the memory in different slots and trying different Sata ports, just as soon as my hands recover from handling the edges of the heatsink on the Corsair Dominator, damn they're sharp.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2010
  4. FearlessFred

FearlessFred What's a Dremel?

I had the exact same problem and it seemed to be the motherboard (though not confirmed)

5. 1nsignia

I've tried each memory stick in each slot, one by one, and no luck. I just hope it is the motherboard that's faulty, as I brought that, the CPU and the memory, each from a different website.

6. DMU_Matt

DMU_Matt mmmm cheesy

Where did you get each component from?

7. 1nsignia

Mobo from ebuyer (already contacted their support, will phone tomorrow), CPU from overclockers.co.uk and memory from scan, lol. That's the problem with ordering that many new components from different places, and not having any old hardware to test them with (my current PC is just way to old).

8. varkanoid

varkanoid Professional Dribbler

Sounds like the power connectors to the mobo are not in properly. Check the 24pin is connected okay and that the 4 pin 12v power connector near the CPU is connected properly.

9. 1nsignia

The mobo power connector is fine, the fans are turning, and lights on the mobo turn on. Possibly the 8-pin CPU power connector could be incorrectly connected, but I've re-plugged it over a dozen times, and I'm sure I must have connected fully at least once, if not then the mobo CPU power connector isn't how it should be (i.e. faulty).

Anyway, ebuyer support has asked me to take all the memory out and check for beeps, that I'll try later, though they think its probably a faulty motherboard.

10. NeiltheDruid

NeiltheDruid Minimodder

I agree, it sounds like you've pretty comprehensively ruled out most the things you can check. See what happens when you get your new mobo. Good luck and keep us posted!

11. Chanc3

Chanc3 What's a Dremel?

Have you tried booting when all the components are out of the case?

Just keep it simple:
    PSU
    MOBO
    GFX (if no onboard)
    RAM
    CPU

Try that, and then if you can try swapping the components (use old cheap PSU) etc.

12. blighter

blighter What's a Dremel?

Sounds likely to be the motherboard to me too. I've seen things like this happen when the 12v CPU connection is not connected properly but as you've checked that and the PSU works fine elsewhere my money is on the motherboard being at fault.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

sounds like a lead isnt connected properly

most likely the 4pin cpu connection is missing. its next to the cpu a little plug make sure its in easy to miss

14. 1nsignia

I've returned the board, though I should have tried the old power supply like Chanc3 suggested. Anyway, ebuyer has emailed me to say they have received it, and will test it in 3-5 days.

15. flamin9_t00l

flamin9_t00l 1,000,000,000,000 Bytes Free!

Did you check the standoffs on the mb tray. Make sure when you get the new mobo back to check that there are none in the wrong place. A few years ago I installed a new mobo into a case that had already had the standoffs screwed (forgot to check them in my eagerness) and when the power was turned on it was exactly the same symptoms (no beeps or anything, fans were going but nothing else). Worth a check just to make sure.

16. 1nsignia

ebuyer just emailed to say the motherboard is indeed faulty, and a new one should be one the way, within 3 working days.

The standoffs were in correctly, as my older motherboard was a mini-atx, so I had to re-position them for the new board that was atx. I couldn't cut any corners while doing it, as I had a friend over, to who I was explaining how to build a PC.

17. 1nsignia

Got my replacement motherboard, and it works fine now. Just got everything installed as I write this.

18. DMU_Matt

DMU_Matt mmmm cheesy

Good to hear, at least that is solved now.