1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Magic: The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 15 Jun 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Not going to lie, my inner nerd has always wanted to one day play a tabletop card game - I might just pick this up.

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Jun 2010
    CardJoe likes this.
  3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I played Magic: The Gathering when I was young and it is an absolutely brilliant game. This makes me want to find my old cards and go berserk in a huge battle again :D

4. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I wish they port "Mage Knight" game to computer. That would be awesome too.
    I will give this one a try, but frankly, i never cared to play the tabletop version...

5. PegasusM

PegasusM Stand back, I'm doing science

The reason there is no skip turn button is because an opponent can choose to play an instant at any point during your turn and so for different reasons may be waiting for a certain phase of your turn to play it.

6. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Wait, so you don't have to buy boosters to get the most out of this game? How many cards does it come with by default? I might pick it up if there are enough to make a variety of decks. Really loved this game when I was a kid, my mate had thousands of cards so I could really pick and choose to customise my style (goblin only deck Cheesecake).

7. DarkBanana

DarkBanana What's a Dremel?

I really loved this game when I was younger. Absolutely brilliant but then went to uni and lost tract of things and people to play with. I remember some really epic, nail biting games :)

Revived my steam account just for this.

How much can you customise your deck? There is a lot of luck in the game, but it's really how well you build your deck that decides the winner and I think most of the strategy is before the first card is even drawn.

8. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

I've been a pretty die-hard Magic player for a while (dammit you're right about the wallet draining capability), and it's fascinating to see the thought process of someone new to the game.

I must confess that I'm failing to see how this sits alongside the existing Magic Online facility that Wizards has, which is much more like real life. I suspect that this version must run a seriously restricted card / deck list otherwise at that price it's just crazy cheap.

9. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

"There is no deck construction". Laaaaaaame, might pick it up anyway. Original comes with 8 decks and if I buy in the next 3 hours I get the first DLC free with another 3 decks. Should provide enough variety hopefully, a pretty cheap mistake if it doesn't live up to my hopes.

10. DarkBanana

"There is no deck construction"

Sigh. That's sad. But it's still cheap for a few hours of mtg goodness :)

EDIT: you don't think it's going to be like Portal do you??? *shudder*

11. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

What deal is this?

I've never played M:TG but have been tempted. Might give this a whirl.

12. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Personally I think Battleforge is better - you get to do all the deck-organising and preparation that people agonise over in tabletop Magic, except you then have a fully 3D strategy battle on your hands. A lot of fun.

13. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

There's no deck construction? In my opinion, that was one of the core aspects of the game; it's one reason for calling it a "collectible card game." Deck construction is what gave it the level of personalization that it had, and it guaranteed that no two battles were the same.

I haven't played over 10 years, but I'm suddenly feeling inspired to dig out my box of cards and teach my wife how to play.

Either that or get out my binder and stare at my hundreds and hundreds of Amrou Kithkins.

14. -VK-

-VK- Lurker

Tempting....*reveals inner nerd*

Might pick this up tonight!

15. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I used to play the card game. Still got a few decks gathering dust somewhere. Might have to give this a look sometime.

16. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Steam preorder deal. Game hasn't been released in my region yet (NZ), cost me $10US.

17. Tom @ CCL

Tom @ CCL AKA: Yewen

Big fan of the card game myself, have played for years and still have all my cards and 4 built up decks.

I hate to think how much money I spent on individual cards to make my ideal deck, used to buy the exact cards I wanted over boosters so always bought in sets of 4.

Great game, but I prefered the strategy of evolving a deck from being weak and flawed to a polished game winning machine.

18. DarkBanana

Unfortunately, all my cards are in Malaysia and I think I lent all my decks to a friend and magic partner of mine.

It was just so annoying the way they kept releasing new expansions so you always had to buy new cards and their ideas did start to get a little weird near the end :)

Might try to find a booster draft game somewhere in London one day...

19. PegasusM

PegasusM Stand back, I'm doing science

Just play Magic Online if you want deck construction and a larger variety of cards.

20. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Isn't a physical deck £6.99? That makes this an utter bargain at any price point. I'm definately getting this. Is there a super fast red instants deck? Cuz thats me all over :D

Tags: Add Tags