1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rumour: Two GeForce GTX 460s planned?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 18 Jun 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Odd. I'd say that everything at this stage is still out in the open, and Fudzilla is not known for it's accuracy. Even the name implies rumours. Same with Expreview - they're all not totally trustworthy.

The GTX260s were not launched at the same time, and only came about because nVidia had improved yields enough for them to be viable.

I reckon that this will be like the 8800 series, where you have the GTX460, the GTS460 and others, where the only difference is that different cards have been locked down to lower performances.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

nvidia could be going on the strategy of having the prefix indicate what chip is inside: GTX for GF100, GTS for GF104 and so on.

could this mean their new gaming will actually start to make sense?

4. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Almost certainly not :D

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I'm finding those 786MB GPUs rather odd... You sure it's not 768?

6. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

This should perform around the 5770 I think. All depends on pricing tho since ATI have cemented their position in the market its now up to Nvidia to challange. Any news if the 465 will continue production or not?

7. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

That'd happen when nVidia manages to diespin the full GF100 core to run with a 100W TDP with 1GHz and above speeds... AKA not in the realm of possibility.

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Hmmmm, not sure sure about that, not this time :)

I don't expect to be a miracle fixed Fermi (high gaming performance and low heat), but Improvements on it, like a new revision.
    Personally, knowing Nvidia GPU release history, I would wait for Fermi "- take 2" (if you know what I mean) architecture.
    Remember when Nvidia released one of their best GPU architecture ever the G92. That awesome overclockable GPU, and with simple tweaks on the chip lead to make Nvidia stay #1 with all their models in term of performance? Well I expect something similar out of Fermi "- take 2". Maybe not a crazy GPU as the G92, but at least one that is very powerful, possibly beat Radeon 6000 series when it will come out, and produce low heat.

9. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Fermi needs a die shrink asap. I think I will be in the market for a card next month for the parents pc but its looking like a 5770.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea yea its 68. I keep bloody typoing it :duh: fingers before brain.

11. Teh C

Teh C Arg

I predict 5770 performance for give or take £5 on a 5830's price, while consuming as much power as a 5850 and as hot as a 48xx card.

12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

nVidia pretty has the image of a constantly failing company it seems. I do not expect much from this either but I think it'll be a decent performer but priced out of competitive stages again.

13. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

LOL, just because they failed Fermi, now they have a history of constantly failing?
    I think you are confusing Intel GPU with Nvidia ones.

14. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Sure, there will be a 384SP GTX460 the same way that there was a 512SP GTX480 =P

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

man I would have thought they ran out of lipstick by now

16. Simnol

Simnol What's a Dremel?

Anyone else still not overly impressed with how this turned out :(

17. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

It's getting more competitive. The GTX470 can now be had for around £290, a good £30 less than 5870s.

If you're doing SLI, that (bar heat and noise) makes it competitive.

Single card, maybe not so good, but it's at least getting better. GTX465, at least it's actually the same price as the 5850. It's still slower, but it's better than £25 more and slower.

I hope that this is nVidia's R600. Something that they get ridiculed for now, but they then tweak it a bit, make it a lot cheaper, improve it and then it's more competitive. Remember, the 3870 was pretty much a much cheaper version of the 2900xt.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2010
  18. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

This stinks of continuing manufacturing problems. They've designed a part that removes large sections of Fermi that cripples it's ability to compete on price/performance, as well as reduces the probability of defects and raise yields, and they still can't release a chip that is at or near to the original design specifications. When are we going to see the full fat 512-shader Ultra485? Even if it is some mythical halo part, that hasn't stopped nVidia in the past.

And why is it the GTX460 if it is a supposed 5770 competitor? Surely GTS460 is more appropriate?
    Hurry up nVidia and release something that will have some hope of pushing down prices!!

Completely off topic: I'm watching a music video show while lurking bit-tech, and I just had a thought. Given how feminine Justin Bieber's appearance, manner and voice is, as well as "he" seemingly doesn't have Y chromosome, wouldn't all these girls getting "flushed" over him be enjoying a lesbian crush?
    In all meanings of the term: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/04/26/2882428.htm
    I'd like to see anyone work themselves up into a gushing frenzy over Tom Waits!
    Further to this, I'd like to announce that I am Copywriting "Gushing Frenzy (C)" and using it as my Steam name.

19. quickstream

quickstream Custom n00b

i agree with you here this chip needs to age a bit get some usuage so problems can be fixxed their next big gfx card with this chip im near certain will be a big hit iv always been a fan of nVidia which im sure you all know its hard to be a fan of them they change names of their chips are almost always late, when they **** up its usually big and they can disapoint but keep in mind back in the days the gtx295 held the market and it wasnt even a new architechture (sorry about the spelling) it was merly a revamped old chip

20. ian8415

ian8415 What's a Dremel?

No its not, GTX465 is the same price as 5850

Tags: Add Tags