1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I thought The Hurt Locker was amazing until the part where Jeremy Renner's character takes off with his team into the night and one of the guys gets shot in the leg. That action just didn't seem to go with the Renner character's previous actions. Still easily a 9/10 though, wonderful movie.

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Unicorn: yeah we both still liked the Hurt Locker "one point more", and I guess that's what matters.

Also docodine: I've seen the Moon, liked it as well (8/10). Also seen Sunshine, which I didn't like as much (6/10).

3. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Sunshine was good until it got bad. I think that's a pretty good way to resume it.

4. Jipa

True that. Generally I don't like scifi too much anyway, Moon was good, Sunshine wasn't. That's about it for me.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I saw it! I follow the director on Twitter too :D (of course, that makes us best buds and me celebrity etcetc). Also how was Moon less suspense than Sunshine (at the end)?

Also: Sam Rockwell was in Iron Man 2??

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Title: Kill Bill (Volume I and II)
    Rating: 8.5/10
    Reasons: Blood, delimbifacation and the ***** Wagon

If you haven't seen it you should, it's a great fighting movie and has a pretty good plot

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

*sob*

Sunshine is one of my favourite movies. Of ALL TIME. I'm a complete sucker for futuristic storylines and space flight though, so that probably has a lot to do with it. Honestly, for me it's a 9/10. Killian Murphy is awesome in it. You can't even tell he's Irish :) Not that there's anything wrong with being Irish, I'm just saying that he does a convincing American accent.

8. Jipa

Pulp Fiction
    10/10

I actually just started watching this again, but having seen it a couple of times it's still going to be 10/10. Easily my Tarantino favorite, and one of favorites all-round.

Want some cheese with that royale? So many classic lines.

EDIT: "Oh man I shot Marvin in the face" christ this just gets better.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2010
  9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Hot Tub Time Machine
    8/10

Quite funny, easy watching, completely stupid doesn't take itself seriously at all. Great feel good movie (esp. for 80s music and fashion) with some decent acting by everyone bar John Cusack, who is 90% wet fish. You can see his gills.

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I wanted to watch it but the sound was shiet... I guess I'll have to rent it *sigh*

11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Gremlins (1985, IIRC)
    7/10
    Awesome for the time, surprisignly violent, and furbies that turn evil. What's not to love about classics?

Iron Man
    8.5/10
    In preparation for the second one, I rewatched the first one. Still an awesome movie, and Gwynneth Paltrow with dear-eyes... Love every second of it. Now thye must just bring Iron man 2 on DVD/BR

12. docodine

Thinking about it again, Moon might have been more suspenseful but there wasn't really anything scary..
    Finding the body in the rover, the true purpose of the thing he had to lay inside, the clone bank
    , etc. It was definitely better than Sunshine, but there was the whole Pinbacker thing.. There wasn't a clear antagonist in Moon.

Sam Rockwell played the Hammer guy in Iron Man 2, Robert Downey Jr's rival.

OK so I watched my first blaxploitation film...

Coffy (1973)
    [​IMG]
    5/10
    Nice message, nice music, but it's just ridiculous how in EVERY SINGLE FIGHT SCENE the tits are out. Like literally, someone gets angry, women's shirts are pulled off within seconds. Acting was horrible, but I guess it has kitschy charm..

Watching Wristcutters now, not my favorite..

Toy Story 3 on FRIDAY!

Last edited: 17 Jun 2010
  13. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

The Departed
    8/10
    It was a pretty good movie, even if it was a bit predictable at times. The acting was all very good, especially Jack Nicholson and DiCaprio. I didn't care much for the girl in the movie, as her character was pretty uninteresting(I don't even remember the character's or the actress' name). Anyways like I said, overall good movie with an interesting story and (for the most part) interesting characters.

14. docodine

Toy Story 3
    9/10
    Seemed more predictable than the previous (maybe It's just me being older..), but still one of the best Pixar movies ever. Great new characters, sad that some of the old ones are gone though.. I miss Bo Peep and RC. Messes with your emotions like a good Pixar movie should, though not as much as Up did. Ken/Barbie interaction was hilarious.

15. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

I was actually a little disappointed by Moon when I saw it. I rented it on the back of Tom Francis' recommendation on his excellent blog but it just seemed to amble along without any real purpose until the last few mins.

I guess I can understand why people like it, its fairly compelling and you've gotta be a pretty good actor to hold peoples attention on your own for that long. It all just seemed a little inconsequential to me.

Last edited: 19 Jun 2010
  16. Zabuza

Zabuza What's a Dremel?

Title: Pumping Iron

Rating: 6.5/10

(Brief) Reasons: For a documentary on bodybuilding, I expected a lot more in depth stuff on the subject, instead all I found was some vague training clips and competition posing. There were a few gems in there when the BB-ers spoke about their motivation, especially Arnie, but it didn't go into as much depth as I'd like.

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I hated Sunshine because of its flimsy science-less pretext. Could they not think of a better reason for two big spacecraft to go on a crucial mission into the inner solar system? After that it just made me a sad panda.

Stunning visuals and great acting don't make up for a ruined plot for me. :(

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes, shitty science, but I have it in DTS-ES and it's atmosphere is spine tingling phenomenal. :rock:

I started watching the Russian movie STALKER from 1979 only seen 45 mins so far, will comment later.

19. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Sunshine was ok until it started to be a ripoff of Event Horizon. Then everything went downhill.

Title: Event Horizon

Rating: 8.5/10

A horror movie at its finest. The main plot is a bit predictable, but it still scared the **** out of me when I watched it for the first time. Actually everytime I watch it. Basically it's everything Sunshine could have been.

20. jono51

jono51 What's a Dremel?

Say Angels and Demons the other. Film was alright but it was very plot heavy, I get the feelingt Id have to watch it several times to fully understand it, but I got the general gist. Pretty good acting etc although very conspiracy theory heavy as you might guess from a dan brown adaptation. 8/10.