1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Onlive rental pricing revealed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Jun 2010.

1. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I quite like the concept of being able to game on my laptop and get reasonable battery life. My thought is I just can't work who they are aiming this at? Not us lot here on BT that is clear. As a "bolt on" for TVs and set top boxes I could see it being reasonably successful.

I think the biggest "lag" the service will see will be the delay between the launch and them hitting their sales targets.

2. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Fair enough, I probably should have said 'the information linked in this article' instead of just 'this article'. My bad...

3. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

as said above, it's overpriced and has too many downsides just to have less hardware. however, nobody got rich by underestimating the stupidness of average joe public. This will be just as successful as the "mail us your gold" companies.

4. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I think I'd get bored with Dam games pretty fast. Beaver simulators would be nifty, but I'd say I'd get about 24 hours maximum out of one.

Now - while the OnLive service seems like a neat idea, the pricing schemes are not. While there are definate savings in heat / hardware / electricity, these gains are lost when you consider you can get a real console for less then the cost of a year of the service - a real console which doesn't depend on a fragile internet connection, stingy bandwidth caps, or the extortion that comes from having to pay full retail price for a game that you don't even really own.

Worse yet, I doubt you can ever get them to send you a copy of your own game as it's just a rental - and considering that all things are likely to be proprietary - e.g. saves, achievements, mods, and the like - you're playing it once and losing it to the ages. So in some regard, it's like renting a cartridge game as a kid... just far more expensive.

Seriously. Say I want to play Assassin's Creed 2. It's what, $50 through OnL? There's been no word of the initial hardware cost, the bandwidth usage (I pay roughly 66 cents a gb, which is sort of brutal), or the future retention of the data. I guess to people who balk at the $150 for an Xbox / Wii, this seems good...

Last edited: 22 Jun 2010
  5. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

yeah play all the games you want at low image quality and with lag....Nah....this is not for committed gamers....this is for casual gamers and they would baulk at a $30 monthly fee....only way to go for this is no monthly fee and low game rental fees in the hope of picking up huge numbers of small transactions from the billions of low powered pc and mac users.
    It would also be better for them not to offer outright purchase but just allow access on a per day basis at a low price per game say $1 and not offer free demos...who would worry about paying that....and when people get hooked and want to complete the single player campaign or more importantly the multiplayer games they would keep coming back at $1 a time (perhaps you could gain free access after playing 50 times or something)...its money people wouldn't think twice about paying but in the long run the company would make more from it.

Last edited: 22 Jun 2010
  6. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

It also seems like they are holding you hostage by the fact that if you cancel your sub at any time you lose all the games you purchased until you get back on your subscription.

I think they call this 'Extortion' in the legal world..

7. DirtyH

DirtyH What's a Dremel?

btw, monthly subscription is "only" $4.95

OnLive will send you an email at least thirty (30) days before the expiration of your free twelve (12) month membership period offering you the opportunity to keep your Account accessible on the Service by renewing your membership at a rate of $4.95/month, on a month-to-month basis for up to twelve (12) additional months.
    http://www.onlive.com/legal/foundingoffer

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I think most of us here would agree that the idea is fantastic, potentially changing the way the entire industry could work. But the execution of the idea is atrocious...

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

This.

10. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

All this negativity, in 5 years no one will question how awesome OnLive is, wish I could take some of you back in time to read your posts, lol.

Embrace the Future,
    S*D

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

with blurry image quality like this?

source
    [​IMG]

i think i'll stick to local rendering and enjoy wonders of Custom(ising) PC.

12. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

@Star*Dagger. Who knows, in 5 years time we may well have the bandwidth to support this properly. Not at crummy resolutions and graphics settings, but at least 1920x1080 and full AA and AF. As of right now, from people using OnLive, I know that it would not work for me, and no one else where I live. And this problem will be true for many places in the UK.

If I did not want to spend hundreds of pounds on a PC and have reduced image quality, I would buy a console. At least then I would not have to suffer the latency of OnLive. Even someone who was chosen for the beta, in a location that was supposed to yeild good results, suffered latency to the degree that made games such as UT3 virtually unplayable.

Why embrace a future that is not up to the standard of the present?

13. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

By which time we'll be playing our console and PC games in 3k+ x 2k+ resolution, or in surround, with 3D :D

I can see some applications for OnLive, but none of them involve regular consumers, only hotels and similar places.

14. Fused

Fused Minimodder

This sounds like a limited introductory offer anyway and although I can't remember the details of the original bit article now this doesn't seem to reflect their planned pricing structure for general consumers.

Anyway mine and others point is that if you go to pay full retail price for a game you would expect to have access to it forever. If you stop using the service for a period and then later decide to start subscribing again you want all you games you have paid for to be accessible again not wiped because you left it to long between reactivating the service.

And of course what if the company fails what happens to your games you bought access to then?

I think for many reasons this has come a bit too early to the world. I really don't think people are ready to get on board with entirely digital (non-physical) possessions and the consequences that can entail.

Tags: Add Tags