1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant ****ing Student Finance

Discussion in 'General' started by mars-bar-man, 23 Jun 2010.

1. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

This has got to be the biggest ****ing pisstake ever. I try and send out my stuff to prove who I am. 3 weeks later and I'm still recieving emails from them stating I still need to send some stuff declaring who I am. I'm sorry, I have.

So I try phoning them, "Please enter your customer reference number", done. "Now enter your D.O.B", done. "Sorry but these do not match". You ****ing what?

The whole system is a total farce, they're still claiming I need to send all the forms, Birth Certificate, P60 etc, yet they were sent and I have a receipt saying they were. Yet the dumb ****ers who work for Student Finance can't seem to realise I've sent it all.

Half the time the website is down for maintinence. So how the **** am I meant to print off the stuff I need to send you any remaining evidence?

Ugh, this whole ****ing process is making me wonder whether Uni is such a good idea. I'm beginning to think not.

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

don't confuse uni with money, I never had a loan so i don't know what the pains are like to get one, but uni is a great experience

3. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Never mind all of that... what about Frakkin' Student Housing... or rather lack thereof...

All I can see at the moment is absolutely ridiculous rent, and/or "With dependants only".

I'm trying not to get too stressed about finding about until August or so, but I would much rather have something set up and ready to go now.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I had the exact same thing, I sent them my passport, they sent it back with a "thank you", and continued to send me emails and letters that they'd not had it - Even after I received my first payment.

I had to phone them on three separate occasions to get through (Though, I didn't have to do the customer ID/D.o.B thing) and talk to a real person.

Chances are, your docs are sat in someones in tray, or even out tray, and their system is just too pathetic to keep up.

5. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I got my Customer Reference number mixed up with another number on another letter so be very careful.

6. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

i never had problems with mine, a couple of my mates got messed up every year, which meant he lived in poverty for the first 3 months, but then got 2 loan payments, so was loaded for ages.

7. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Right, I've calmed down a bit now... just.

Annoying thing is the date it's all due by is.... Friday..

Yeah, it's partially my fault for not sending it all off earlier, but I'm not disputing that etc. I would have phoned them tomorrow in the hope that the machine is just an out of hours thing. Buuut, I'm away from 7am to 9pm tomorrow, unless I fancy calling them on a crowded bus.

I'm hoping it's what liratheal's said, and that it's our Government at it's finest.

Pieface, I can log in with the reference number on the website, so unless they've given me two reference numbers, I should be cool. Ta for the heads up though.

Burnout, I'm not cunfusing it, I just need it, otherwise there's no hope of me getting there. So this whole kerfuffel has rather peeved me off.

8. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Also, though it might have changed, as i got my last student loan three years ago, but i always got my application in at least a month late, and i still always got my payments on time. so have a small amount of faith :)

9. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I'm still working out problems with my claim, too. :(

10. fev

fev Industry Fallout

I too always applied late and got finance through on time, keep on at them.

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

MWHAHAHAAHAH..

I didn't have to provide any evidence :D

12. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

He said what I was going to say!

13. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Let me guess, passport? Mine was out of date (by 6 years >.<), so couldn't use it :/

And I agree with you about it, but without vast wads of monies to pay for housing and the course, there ain't gonna be an experience to enjoy... stupidly.

14. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I had one, but decided later that applying for it was a poor decision and was ultimately unnecessary for me given my circumstances. I've paid a lot of it off already, and should be done paying it by the time I graduate.

15. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

After having worked my ass off to save up £14,000 (I would have saved some more if it hadn't been for some unforeseen circumstances) I still can't even imagine getting through university without a loan. How do people do it?

Of course, I'm starting a four year course and I don't particularly want to be working my ass off again while studying too.

16. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Some of the deadlines for applying are also stupid.

For example, my dad can't get all the details for the finances till july, and the website seems to want you to apply by april.

The system is pretty useless. But I've always got my payments at the right time.

17. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Parents pay? :lol:

18. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

You see, you're in one hell of a lucky position to be in my ginger friend. My mum can barely afford to pay bills, so the loan is a great way to actually get to Uni.

Another thing that annoyed me about the application, the fact they want a P60 from 2006.. which were all filed away God only knows where. I wasn't even out of school by then. It's a bit ridiculous tbh. I would have less trouble going to a bank and getting a loan.

19. BarryBear

BarryBear What's a Dremel?

last year I was on the phone to them for about 1 hour every day for 2 weeks to try and sort it out but most of the time "we are too busy to take your call call back later" wtf was that, then when you do get through they cant understand clear english - Student Finance England == Scottish staff??.

All i can say is good luck and try over and over

20. fev

fev Industry Fallout

A P60 is a legal document and should be kept in a safe place for 5+ years!