1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The iPhone 4 / iOS Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 7 Jun 2010.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

hooks onto various services such as location service which would not need to be running 99% of the time since i don't need it. but by default, on closing a navigation app, it still updates in the background.

should be: on manual close, it doesn't update in the background anymore, similar to how Maps work. but if it automatically lost focus (eg, a phone call comes in, another app notification comes in and jumped into that app) navigational app should continue to function.

or at least an option to enable original way of closing app on a per app bases.

don't get me wrong, iPhone OS 4's way of doing things are great, but it's just way too limited for any real customisation, which is as usual for Apple products.

for Stanza, i have managed to save all books in Stanza to my computer through Apps sync tab. then drag them back into iTunes and synced into iBooks :D

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I'm shocked at Apples response to what is an obvious hardware fault being "just buy a bumper case".
    It's repeatable on every iPhone4 I tried except those with a very strong signal i.e in an O2 store or directly under the cell tower.
    Just cover the join in the bottom left corner with your thumb (so that both antennas are bridged) and wait a few seconds to see it plummet.

Really considering taking it back tbh as I'm not going to put up with that for 24 months without a reasonable fix/credit.

3. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

I predict a very quickly redesigned case and a massive apology ... or a riot.

Once fixed I will then buy mine, certainly not before :(

4. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

all phones have this issue - this is a very high profile phone --> more complaints.
    although i wouldn't be surprised to see a clearcoat being applied to future models and no mention being made of it whatsoever.

5. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Is it affecting your calls or data? It doesn't mine. And here at work, I've got a solid 5 bars regardless of it being in or out of a bumper, or however I hold it...

I get 3 bars down stairs at home, and 5 upstairs. Again, no reall difference wherever I put my hands on the case.

So far, the only place I see this is when I'm in the work canteen - But I put that down to it being in the basement, and therefore half way to the centre of the earth. :)

6. GreatOldOne

7. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

I'm just waiting fro the jailbreak. Apart from that i'm very happy - no issues with reception, nor the yellowing.

8. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

I agree, the reply really is shocking, it's clearly a design flaw, and saying "just avoid holding it in that way" is not a reply you would ever expect to hear concerning such an issue. There's not a single phone i've ever owned that i had to avoid holding a certain way to work properly, this should be fixed properly and fast, not ignored just because they will lose money.

On another note, has anyone seen this:

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile...e-information-att-locks-user-via-ota-updates/

If thats true, we have a bigger, more serious problem :/

9. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Not sure if I believe that article..

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Ditto. I want to be able to change my message alert again! Why apple still limits you to the boring preinstalled options is beyond me :wallbash:

11. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

12. GreatOldOne

Tethering on Three works - and it's fast! Posted from my MacBook Pro, USB tethered to my iPhone 4.

:D

13. GreatOldOne

Ariel 'death grip' issue to be addressed in software update, according to Apple Insider:

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...ip_hysteria_may_end_monday_with_ios_4_01.html

I hadn't realised it was affecting upgraded 3GSs as well, but thought it was a software issue, as even if I get a low signal displayed, my data and voice still work fine. As I mentioned before, this happened on the 3G as well when it launched.

14. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Its not just the jb thing, its the fact that when you boot up facetime with someone, your location is disclosed, read the full article and the follow up for all the info :)

15. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

I bought mine this morning, 16GB black on 3. It was the last one in the Apple store at Meadowhall, Sheffield. Definitely worth getting up for! I'm fiddling with it now but first impressions: the screen is very nice :D

I have a bumper, but without it the signal dropping thing certainly happens. Still, if it's going to go away in a software update it'll be fine.

Now to try out tethering!

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

after using it for 2 days, i found myself keep confusing front and back.

with my original iPhone, i know whether im holding it correctly while retrieving from my pocket, and turn it around when needed. with this one, i keep swiping the back of the phone trying to unlock, thinking it's the front of the phone.

anyone else feel back glass adds nothing practical to the phone?

17. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

What are your thoughts on the bumper? I can't decide if i like the look of them or not..

18. GreatOldOne

I think they look better in person than in the photos.

They're a hard plastic band with rubber that clings onto the phone - you fit it by pushing the phone into the centre of the band until it seats properly. The volume & top lock button are metal, and the cut out for the ringer switch is such that its easily accessible but at the same time difficult to knock it on or off by accident.

They only had black ones in at the Apple store in MK - I need to get a different coloured one for MrsGoo's phone so we know's whose is who's.

19. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Seems from the pictures that they might be made by Speck as it uses the same materials as their "Candyshell" cases. Would you say that's about right Goo?
    There are none in stock in the Soton Apple store sadly so I can't check.

20. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

Think i'll grab a green one when i can then. Dont wan't to wait till July 16th (apple online store) though!