1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Problem when turning on pc for first time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jono51, 26 Jun 2010.

1. jono51

jono51 What's a Dremel?

So I assembled my first pc, but when I go to turn it on, I can see the cpu fans, case fans etc whirring, I can see a little blue light on my mobo (msi 770-c45) which means phase one power for cpu or something to that effect. I can also see a light on the dvd drive. However, I get no display from my xfx 5770. Its a dual slot card and by the looks of it, I think there should be a red light from the ati radeon top cover bit. Is it dead? Should I reseat it or something?

Not only that, but I can't hear any beeps. Does that mean I've mixed up the little connectors?

The pc will also power on from the power button but wont turn off from it, no matter how long I hold it down for. What have I done wrong there?

There also appears to be no power leds (CM Elite 335), yet there are connectors. Have I just gone blind or am I missing something??

edit1: I reseated the card and I noticed I can feel the exhaust airflow from the back of the card, so its fan is definitely working, but still no display. Any help?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: 26 Jun 2010
  2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

make sure you have the 4 pin connector attached to the motherboard, seem silly but is very easily overlooked, clear the coms, take out the card and put it back in.
    I also had the same problem with this board about 4 weeks ago

3. jono51

jono51 What's a Dremel?

Checked the 4 pin connector and its in. I cleared the cmos I believe (just move the jumper for a few seconds then move it back, or do I have to move it, power on, power off then move back?)

Should I reseat the card after I've cleared the cmos?

edit: clearned cmos again, no luck. noticed the battery was at an engle, so tried pressing it flat, still no luck. :S

edit2: tried using one stick in dimm 1, no luck. then 1 in dimm 3 no luck.

4. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

Are you sure the DVI cable is plugged properly into the graphics card? (I accidentally plugged it into the motherboard on my first build :duh:)

As for the beeps & power buttons, make sure you've got all of the connections in & make sure the positive & negative are the right way round.

5. jono51

jono51 What's a Dremel?

Yes, dvi is in graphics card. From some googling, it seems that this has happened to others. I'll try the system with out the graphics card and if it get beeps etc, it is likely the psu apparently (cx400w).

edit: tried without graphics card. No beeps, just a little quiter since it isnt automatically pushing the graphics card fan to 100%.

6. Telltale Boy

If you're not hearing any beeps are you sure you've got the motherboard speaker plugged in? It nearly always comes with the case & looks like this:
    [​IMG]

7. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I had a similar problem once, luckily I used to have a case with a speaker, this one doesn't have one ¬_¬

Basically, all the fans maxed out (sound familiar?) and on the old case it let out a single long beep. Looked it up in the motherboard manual and it said a graphics card problem; took the card out, blew out any dust in the slot and reseated, had no problems since.

So yeah, make sure you have a speaker connected to the motherboard, if it makes a noise check it in the manual. If it turns out to be a graphics problem, do what I did.

If it makes no sound at all; try what I did, it might work...possibly.

8. jono51

jono51 What's a Dremel?

Fliped around the speaker cable. Still nothing. Blew on the pci-e slot and gold pins to clear any dust or w/e still nothing. This is really frustrating me now, as I can't get the bloody thing to work :wallbash:

9. murraynt

murraynt Modder

have the same powersupply aswell, take out the battery and card clear the comos, boot the pc(with no card) then switch off and insert graphics card and battery and reboot

10. jono51

jono51 What's a Dremel?

no luck :/

11. DaveMon

DaveMon The end is nigh! Repent!

I have had something similar.
    If there are no beeps or activity of any kind, could be the CPU is dead...

Or not seated properly.

12. murraynt

murraynt Modder

although if he is getting the lights on the board that shouldnt be a prob.are you getting any kind of scree at all?do you have another card to try?

13. Telltale Boy

If you're not getting an "all clear" beep when you start up your pc then I'd be leaning towards the fault being one of the other components - not the graphics card. Maybe your motherboard has issues?

14. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Maybe a short, some MB's tend to short on the case or the standoffs.

15. jono51

jono51 What's a Dremel?

dont hav any other card to test. Tried reseating the mobo and nothing. Tried reomving the metal retention clip that hold down the graphics card to the case and nothing. If it is a short, all I could think it could be is the i/o panel, but i dont know if thats even possible.

16. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Could be be a faulty mobo, Had to RMA a mobo recently for exact same thing.

17. jono51

jono51 What's a Dremel?

Yeah, thats what its looking like im gonna have to do. Happen to stumble on newegg reviews of the board and quite a few others had similar proiblems and had to rma or get an entirely different board.

What should i put on the scan retunrs query? Just motherboard is DOA or everything I've tried too?

Last edited: 27 Jun 2010
  18. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Just tell them its dead and what you have done,i would go for the same board again or theg45 because they are excellent boards

19. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I allways phone them when its to do with RMA's myself, I find it better.

You should give them all the relevant info what the fault is and what you have done to check it.

And remember if they find no fault there will be a charge.

20. Telltale Boy

Just give as much detail as possible about your situation. You could even link them to this thread.