1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 8 to copy iPhone OS?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Jun 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

Maybe they should focus on getting everyone onto Windows 7 before talking about Windows 8.
    Would it not be better to talk about things they could add into 7 in a later service pack, that may help sales.

3. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

Stop comparing things to the app store, there were other digital software stores available before Apple did it, and i'm desperately praying Microsoft aren't dumb enough to implement the same retarded rules Apple has...

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Regardless of what's happening with Windows 7 they still need to get the ball rolling on #8. It's not like they can just give up dev'ing new stuff...

5. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

its not on purpose, this information was leaked.

6. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

An app store? Win OS users already have one, it's called the interwebz

7. Fizzl

Fizzl What's a Dremel?

Indeed and if you put aside the entire Internet I rather think Valve came up with the app store model before apple did and oh yes it was for windows XP.

8. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

How much better would it have been if this was a leak for ideas for sp2?

9. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Ambient light feature is nothing new. My 3 year old laptop (originally a Vista machine) has that on a hardware level. There is a small light sensor just below the screen, and it adjusts brightness automatically.

As for the App store? ERM WUT?

The reason the iPhone has an app store is because it requires special apps, and there is no way to install them because it doesn't have a CD drive or a USB port or anything like that.
    Our computers can use any Windows applications that you can pick up on the store on DVD or CD, pop in the drive, and install.
    Steam has a good system for an "app store", but a big part of that is that it allows a HUGE selection of games, it allows them to run sales, and most importantly, it removes the middle-man retailer and retail packaging.
    Windows already has a lot of basic functionality included in it. Will MS be willing to include software that replaces their own? Everything on my short list of what I install as soon as I get a new PC build going is already included in windows, but in a crappier version. I install Firefox, VLC, Irfanview, SumatraPDF, CCleaner, AVG or another free antivirus, and that's it.
    Will they make the store open to anyone, or charge money for people to be in it? Sounds like a good way to put the software companies that are in bed with Microsoft on the front page, and exclude any of the popular software that competes with MS.

Very strong potential for a repeat of GFWL fail. Apple needed to make an App Store because there was no real way to go to a main street store and buy software for your mobile device. Windows is a mature system, and getting software for it isn't difficult. Download.com is a hugely successful example. Are they gonna try making a Microsoft copy of Download.com? Don't you think it's a bit late for that? I really like Download.com because I can always find free software on it that does a really good job, and they keep it updated with plenty of info. Download.com completely beat them to the punch by years for applications and utilities, and Steam beat them by not-quite-as-many years for games.

Sorry, M$, but you just brought a knife to a gunfight, and the foxholes have already been dug.

10. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Its not like Apple invented the concept of a software repository either....

11. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Look at slide number 2 Clicky

They seem to have drawn up a carbon copy of Apple's business model...all in ones???

Oh dear MS, you really have lost it haven't you.

12. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I don't see too much of an issue with any of this. If they do develop some kind of program that allows people to easily search for other programs, then this will only help people who suck and computing to find programs that they want.
    If they are ever allowed out of their padded room that is.

Its called google people!

13. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

This worries me.

Seeing as windows 7 mobile is shaping up to be a carbon copy of all the bad (/anti-consumer/drm) points of the iphone rolled into one package, i'm worried MS might attempt to do the same thing to windows itself :(

App-store clone for windows sounds nice in theory (steam for windows apps? awesome!) But as MS likes copying all Apple's horrible parts of late i can guarantee that in the end, as the consumer, we'll all lose out.

14. cebla

cebla What's a Dremel?

I personally think it is a great idea. If it is organised well and can be searched easily then it could be our one stop place to look for software. I think the thing that is really good about it is more that if you are a small developer it suddenly gets a lot easier to sell your application. You no longer have to worry about distribution or how someone will find you (as much, obviously you still may want to market it). You also don't need to worry about how to collect any cash or if it is a free app you don't need to worry about the costs of hosting it.

I also heard that they are planning to link into things like facebook so people can become fans of your application which will add a social element to the application which you can't really get with any of the existing download sites at the moment (that may have changed since I was last looking).

15. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

great news for me,

will start developing small and useful windows apps and charge 50p for them

16. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

I'm not just going to rage because it gets us nowhere. However, I really don't see the point of Microsoft bringing out an "App Store"(*waits for rants*) for Windows. After all, when you search for software 99% of it is engineered for Windows OS anyway. A much more useful tool is...Google.

17. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

If I want rubbish I'll buy an iPad.
    Microsoft need to innovate not replicate.

18. Altron

Altron Minimodder

www.download.com
    www.sourceforge.net
    www.steam.com

There are already "One-stop shopping" places to look for software. I've found great little freeware applications by going to download.com and typing in "PDF reader" and getting one that is leaps and bounds better than Acrobat Reader.

19. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

from what im understanding, its not necessarily the "store app" which MS is copying to make Windows 8 an iphone OS clone, more about the boot speed am I right?. I cant see the logic of " hey MS will include a store app, oh no its an OSX Clone now" honestly

20. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

PPA's for the win. ;)

Tags: Add Tags