1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sam Raimi talks about WoW movie

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Jun 2010.

1. digitaldave

digitaldave What's a Dremel?

if it was a film about leeerooooy jenkins then it might be worth seeing

film about a game where you spend months of your real life walking around a huge pretend world aint that interesting tbh.

2. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

haha I doubt many people would get the reference tbh and those that would, would be the market for illegally downloading the film!

3. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I'll save the cynicism for closer to release date.

The Warcraft lore is pretty strong if not somewhat generic. I mean there's plenty of great story lines to call upon. I would be happy if they did a litch king one or something like that. Plus the game has some pretty diverse and interesting locations plus spell animations to call upon.

in fact I'm surprised they are doing a movie like this. I thought it would be a CGI like the opening cutscenes for the game.

4. pcnuttie

pcnuttie What's a Dremel?

I don't really care much for the WoW movie idea but i still am angry at Sony Pictures for turning down his plans for Spiderman 4. Ticked me off we are gonna see another reboot on how he became spiderman. I had enough of HollyWood's bullcrap.

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I gotta be honest, I enjoyed the recent Prince of Persia films. Because WoW has no story, the writers won't be tied down to trying to turn a game story into a film story, as that simply never works (see Doom).

If they keep the lore, but create a decent story (without trying to cover the whole of the WoW universe in two hours) then there's hope.

6. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Problem with doom and hitman was that the games where not designed for their story but the action/gameplay. Arguably silent hill and resident evil are the similar but with some attempt at a story. Tho the slow opening doors, music/silence, world changes and most importantly and key, the fact that you where in "control" of the main character unlike a film which your just following creates a real psycological side to things. The story was build around gameplay with cutsenes to progress some element. How many "survival" horror films have you watched knowing that so and so has to survive? Thats one reason I like saw films, its unpredicatable just who will survive.
    Metal gear solid might work as a film since most of the game is cutscenes but why remake a game and remove any player influence from it? Your in the dilema of doing that vs making something that ties into which non gamers would understand thus limiting your market.

Tags: Add Tags