1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New Ethernet A/V standard aims to take down HDMI

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Jul 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Sounds good. As long as HD content doesn't sap bandwidth from the network. I wonder how it supports QoS?

Who wants to bet that when it's released you'll need to buy a special proprietary router and a £50 RJ45 to HDMI/DVI/VGA/YPbPr converter box though?

3. eldiablo

eldiablo What's a Dremel?

So will it be able to transmit its video over a home network? (supposedly gigabit) Or isnt it ethernet but it just uses UTP cables? If so, what will happen in you plug it into the home network.
    In either case sounds like a good idea, cheap to cover a large distance to a projector or something :)

4. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

You can spend as little or as much as you want on current AV cables and this will be no different. Unless there are some performance advantages over HDMI then its not particularly exciting. My NAS is already connected to my PS3/PC/AV amp by ethernet so its nothing new in that respect. Having the connector actually lock into the socket has its pros and cons of course

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Reading the article, it seems like they'll just be using the UTP cables for A/V systems, and not other your LAN. Really, how would you do the routing? I think some people are being missing the point. It's like connecting your screen to your PC with an UTP cable instead of a VGA or DVI or HDMI.

6. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i have always like the convenience of ethernet cables specifically relating to the socket size and the clip mechanism iif this is able to replace agp / dvi i would be happy, if it were also to replace HDMI (i hate that they have no clips) i would be ecstatic

also they are alot more flexible than most cable and would allow for far better cable management

7. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Well that's confusing since Ethernet by definition is "a family of frame-based computer networking technologies for local area networks (LANs)." and they are named 10baseT/100baseT/1000baseT for consumer level standards.

Using RJ45 jacks for data that isn't supposed to be plugged into a network would be ****ing stupid.

Also, Valens Semiconductor's HDBaseT Receives HDCP Certification From Intel's DCP LLC. FFS.

8. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

So you got a tv with ethernet and HDbaseT and you plugin you'r powered HDbaseT cable into your Ethernet port and in the process blow up your ethernet controller chip inside the tv. (since power over cable is one of the items of HDbaseT)

I am also wondering what you pay for a 20meter Goldplated, triple twisted angel hair wired "Monster" cable. :p

9. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

would the picture and sound quality be as good as an expensive HDMI cable tho?

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

ever bought an ethernet cable from pc world, they aint cheap from there, cheaper to support your local indi pc store. or order online(delivery charges apply though)

11. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

35ft cable inc. delivery for £2.99 on the Amazon Marketplace.

If that's not a good deal I'm not sure what is!

12. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i image routing wouldnt be a problem, as they will make av routers/switches, then all those peeps with 19"racks can use the standard ethernet sockets they had installed all over their house, using the patch panels, simples.

i think they may need to provide some sort of prorection though, to prevent damage caused by connecting to a standard ethernet port, POE etc

13. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

@Bakes, free cable just paiying for delivery, lol, you cant beat that

14. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

HDMI cables really aren't expensive if you don't purchase the silly priced ones from DGSi. My 360 is currently hooked up to my TV via a cable that cost me an eye-watering £1.50 from Amazon.

15. LJF

LJF Modded

I bought 2x 1.2m hdmi cables (admittedly not 328ft!), delivered, from amazon for under £1.50... they do the job.

16. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i suggested to my sister that next time she wants to buy a hdmi cable to speak to me, as i didnt think the £70 3mtr cable she got from DSG was good value for money

17. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

jesus did you make her take it back

18. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

I picked up 300m of Cat6 cable on ebay for £35 and have at least 2 wired connections in every room, inc the bathroom! Picked up a Dell 42U server rack for £30 and a 24port Gigabit switch and patch panel for £29.

Not got the gear to put into every room but the sockets are there and waiting for technology to catch up. My new TV has an Ethernet connection and links to YouTube via the internet connection and also uses my home server for images, music and video. however, some formats don't work so I need my mediacentre to do that part for me.

So my main question Is it just a software issue for the TV?

19. daletur328

daletur328 What's a Dremel?

The good thing about this solution is the fact that it may prevent signal drop that occurs on HDMI at lengths over 7-10m. I have about 15-20M, 30M with good routing, from my AV to other rooms and if it means that i can get HD 1080P pictures to my bedrooms TV without the need for either buying a new AV setup or SKY multiroom I will have saved a lot, and more importantly stay in bed longer.

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You can buy this sort of stuff already, these guys are just standardizing it and integrating it into devices I guess, no good for your home network as your network is not going to be fast enough to send 1080p around the place.

Requires Cat6/7 cable and hardware that can handle a few of gigabits

an example.

http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1764

Tags: Add Tags