1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Blizzard forums will require real names

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Jul 2010.

1. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

2. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

I don't really get this. First off, how can they find out where you live based on your name? I have a really common name which if you google, comes up with about 40 pages of people who aren't me. Secondly, I can't see it making much difference. If I feel the need to insult someone, I'll do it as Galandork the Elf or as myself.

Then again, I behave online like I do in real life. I suppose for the nasty cowardly little racists and stuff, they might decide to tone it down a bit.

3. Altron

Altron Minimodder

What's your name?

Obviously, if it is a common name, no one will be able to find the real you.

However, not all of us have names like that. Googling my name comes up with only a couple results, and half of them are actually me (the rest are about some girl from indiana with the same name as me - I'm one of two people in the country with my name).

For me, it's not the threat of people who know me finding about my online gaming - it's a legitimate hobby of mine. My concern is that of the MANY gamers who are completely immature and hold grudges trying to harrass me because "ur a NOOB teammate!" or "u killed me while i was typing" or "u stole my kill" or whatever other sorts of minor things can get these people inflamed.

4. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

14/f/cali is coming to get you

5. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

what happens when you signup and get "username already taken"
    that mean you cant join?
    i actually use my real name on forums cause i never say anything i wouldnt stand by.

6. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

NO! I don't want people to know my first name! Or that my last name is Johnson! They might be able to find me with this information! LMFO!
    sigh, example:
    chris.com
    not my website.

7. bowman

bowman Minimodder

I share my name with one other person in the known universe. Fun times.

Also just cancelled my SC2 preorder. Blizzard; .|.. ..|.

8. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

They should just change their name from Blizzard to **** storm. Bunch of ****ing 'tards.

The Fuhrer's right. Starcraft was awesome, II just keeps getting worse with each announcement. Have they never heard of mods? It's ridiculous.

9. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I just threw up a litlle..

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

as you may or may not have noticed, i couldnt give 2 hoots about people knowing who i am

11. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

My real name is actually Obi-Wan Kenobi... As is my little brother's name, and my dad's
    My mum's name however is Fred

...Problem solved

12. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

I would just use the fake name I always use, unless that is, if they automatically make one for you based on your subscription payments.

13. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Hey, that's my name! Identity theft ftl :miffed:

14. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

15. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Haha from a name they could even tell he still lives with his mother. I guess you cant afford to play wow AND pay rent every month, very understandable :)

16. delriogw

delriogw What's a Dremel?

hmmmm, as a woman with an unusual name i'm not keen on this idea atall. although i don't participate on their forums others tend to copy. i like my anonymitiy for reasons other than throwing abuse at people (something i've never done). my real name would make me far too 'findable' (there's only 3 of us on facebook - at times it's just been me), which is fine for people i don't mind, but baaaaaaaaad for creepy stalker types.

17. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

They should just moderate the forums better. It's not like mods are hard to find, there are people who would do it for free.

18. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Using real names is a tad extreme, but i agree that you should only be allowed one forum account per CD key and if you misuse that account and it is banned - tough.

19. Embattle

Embattle What's a Dremel?

There isn't any thing that stops them currently banning a persons whole account to stop them posting, whether they create a lvl1 troll or not to post with the idea that this actually will stop all spam/trolls is silly and there are so many other methods they can use any way. The fact my name is personal and I consider it private, it is for me to decide who should and shouldn't know my name not Blizzard, this would mean I would have to stop posting on the official forums.

20. CharlO

CharlO What's a Dremel?

Wired but I think is really good actually. Since WOW added it, is easier to track people and know theyrs alts. Also, now ventrilo is not full of Almighters, just regular Joes. IMO is for the best.

Tags: Add Tags