1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New Ethernet A/V standard aims to take down HDMI

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Jul 2010.

1. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Yes, that is correct.

Exactly, you'd need half the number of pins to transport your entire HD film across an ethernet cable than you'd need to transfer an analogue 7.1 audio stream alone, never mind the image data.

2. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

@Bakes

I think we're agreed then :)

well aside from the fact that you still need 16 (long) wires to connect your speakers but that'd just be splitting cables ;-)

3. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Only if you actually had 7.1 speakers. That's the beauty of digital (well, in HDMI and this standard) - each channel is only used if it's necessary - you aren't carrying around a thicker cable merely so that it offers 7.1 support if you just have 2.0 speakers.

4. memeroot

sorry bakes

in the last 3m 2*no speakers regardless of cabeling

hdmi only good if you have a decent dac

5. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

That's not what I was saying.

What I was saying is that if the signal from your PS3 to your amp/tv was 7.1 in analogue form, you'd need 16 separate conductors for the audio in every scenario, even if you only had a 2.0 telly. This would constrict flexibility massively.

(it's important to note than in this case I'm assuming that like HDMI, USB, COM, LPT, D-SUB etc, all of the wires are in one plug).

Because it's digital, whether there are 2 or 7 channels in use, there are no physical changes (in the wire), so the wires are universal and can just be hot swapped, whilst being a lot more flexible.

6. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

I don't see how it's an 'interesting' choice... do you live in some bizzaro world where all TV speakers have been replaced by Vuvuzelas? or am I missing something- because my dad's 42" Vizio has perfectly good audio with reasonable response in all audible frequency ranges. Is that rare or am I deaf?

7. memeroot

@Bakes

so your point is that the only advantage of hdmi is that you have one cable? if that is the case then fine you have my agreement... however please note that the following statement does not refer to audio quality but only the requirement to plug in cables....

"In fact, HDMI supports lossless compressed audio streams as well as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master, which is superior to analogue cables."

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2010
  8. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

But they're NOT rubbish speakers! They're not great, but they're not crap! Honest! Obviously if you plug in a decent stereo to it, things'll sound much better, but my point is that the audio that the Vizio gives is perfectly acceptable.

Last edited: 6 Jul 2010
  9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Removed the flames and elitism. Unless you've used EVERY TV and heard their speakers then don't paint everything with the same brush. /review journalists tip ;)

Also, meme, I removed ANOTHER flame above. :rolleyes: Post again in this thread and I'll send you packing.

Stop trying to convince each other too, it's like arguing whose mum loves them most.

The answer is, obviously, both your mums love me the most ;)

10. memeroot

sorry just noticed the mod remark.. I honestly wasnt intending to have a flame war.

11. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Spending a lot on a tv and sticking with the inbuilt speakers seems fairly silly to me. Sure, they work and they're fine for conveying the news but you would be selling yourself short on the experience if you didn't get at least a basic 5.1 system. I would suggest spending a minimum of at least the cost of the tv on an a/v system to go with it.

Manufacturers used to sell plasma screens without speakers and its a shame that this is no longer an option

12. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Most people don't have the money for that, and the difference to many people, whilst noticeable, is not worth £400-500.

13. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

14. Riddick

Riddick Percussionist

Rather amusingly I was talking to my Dad earlier about running Audio/Video to the TV from the computer, this would make life easy... providing it's affordable

15. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

In all honesty I would replace my tv if it ment I could just run a cat 5 cable to it.
    My tv already has the input but its old(2007) so I don't know if it would support this...

16. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

It wouldn't, since the specification hasn't been finalized yet no TVs have been produced that would run it.

17. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I am certain that in a blind comparison between a £1000 TV and £500 TV with a £500 AV system, the great unwashed would always prefer the experience offered by the latter. There is obviously a price point where it is no longer applicable, of course.

Tags: Add Tags