1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Building new rig need some advice.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hypno, 7 Jul 2010.

1. Hypno

Hypno What's a Dremel?

Hi all, finally saved enough for a complete rebuild as I'm still running AGP etc.. But just after some advice.

I was looking into getting the Intel Core i7 875K 2.93GHz (Lynnfield) (Socket LGA1156) but after reading the review today, I'm now doubting my decision and looking at the Intel Core i7 930 (Socket 1366) instead.

Now looking at my other spec's below would this be all good with 930? and have you got any idea's on how to improve the spec?

Thanks for any help/advice in advance. :)

• OCZ Intel Extreme XMP Low Voltage 6GB DDR3 10666C7 (1333MHz) Tri-Channel (OCZ3X1333LV6GK)
    • Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev.2, Intel X58, S1366, [GA-X58A-UD3R]
    • XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card [HD-587A-ZNF9]
    • Coolermaster CM-690 II Advanced Dominator Case - Black [RC-692-KKN2]
    • Corsair H50-1 High-Performance CPU Watercooler (Socket LGA775/1156/1366/AM2/AM3) [CWH50-1]
    • Intel X25-M Mainstream 80GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (SSDSA2MH080G2C1)
    • Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (ST3500418AS) [ST3500418AS]
    • Corsair HX 750W ATX Modular SLI Compliant Power Supply (CMPSU-750HXUK) [CMPSU-750HXUK]

PC would be used for gaming and general use i.e photoshop etc.. budget is around £1300 maybe little more

Last edited: 7 Jul 2010
  2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Swap the HDD for a 1TB Samsung F3.Is there are reason for going for that ram?

3. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Why an ssd? V. Expensive, especially given Win7 loads pdq anyway. And what monitor have you/are you going to get? The money saved on not getting an ssd could be better spent on a decent monitor.

And I'd want a window in my case to constantly remind me of where all my hard earned cash was residing! lol!

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

If you want the SSd that one is ok, but I'd wait a couple of months until Sandforce finishes coming out :)

Everything else looks ok, but go for 1600MHz RAM and possibly a better fan for the H50 :)

5. DaveMon

DaveMon The end is nigh! Repent!

6. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

Are you buying the components yourself or are you buying it pre-built. Your setup seems to be cut and pasted.

Anyway the i7 930 is good and all it has a few nice features like 32 lane PCIe and triple channel memory.

On the down side the x58 motherboard cost more also the i7 930s produce more heat and uses more power. So if you are not going to use the extra lanes of PCIe and triple channel isn't that good in games anyway, you should look into the LGA 1156 if you want to save some cash.

SSDs are expensive. I have one and it isn't that amazing. What is definitely worth money is a couple Samsung Spinpoint F1s in RAID 0. The sustained read/write performance outclass most SSDs though random read/write is still not there yet. It won't improve you game anyway.

Your system won't actually use 750W. It would probably be around the 400W mark after you overclock. Then again you should get a 750W PSU anyway since you can keep it for future builds. You might end up getting some next gen Nvidia GPU that eats electricty.

And yes you should at least get DDR 1600 if you plan to overclock otherwise you won't have much headroom with the memory.

7. Hypno

Hypno What's a Dremel?

I will be buying the components myself and building it. Its cut a pasted due to I made a quick spreadsheet to make it easier.

This is why I asked for advice due to I haven't been keeping up on the new hardware coming out etc.. as you can tell when i'm still running AGP. Since putting a basic spec together bit-tech seem to reviewing all the hardware I've been looking at getting which is a great help but then puts doubt in my mind.

So from most of the replies I'll probably drop the SSD and will look into the DDR 1600. Still unsure which CPU to go for to be honest.

To the question of which monitor I have its a Asus VW223 LCD.