1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Smartphone users!

Discussion in 'General' started by Shadowed_fury, 9 Jul 2010.

1. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

What you got?
    iPhone 3GS

What OS does it run on?
    iOS4

Fave uses?
    Surfing, usual phone stuff, emailing, directions, music

Battery life?
    About two days if I don't really use it, less than one day (a lot less) if I'm using everything on it.

2. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

What you got?
    HTC/Google G1

What OS does it run on?
    Android 1.6

Fave uses?
    Ebooks, music, web browsing, the odd actual phone call/text

Battery life?
    A day of medium use (see above) (blame the bluetooth headphones (but the mini-usb adapter is flaky)), augmented with an external battery pack (charges up to 50%, occasionally a necessity (what with walks/shows/trips to the middle of nowhere).

3. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I'll put both of mine down as i only upgraded ~2days ago so still a little lost on the new one :D

[​IMG]

What you got? What OS does it run on?
    New HTC Desire, Android 2.1
    Old: HTC Touch Diamond, WM 6.1

Fave uses?
    internet browser - use this a LOT
    Android: whatever the default is
    WM: Opera mini 5 / Opera mobile (depending on website)

twitter client - main way i keep in touch with some friends during the week now :p
    Android: HTC peep for now
    WM: Pocketwit

email
    both using the built-in clients

ebook reader
    Android: not found one yet
    WM: mobipocket reader

comic reader
    Android: droid comic viewer
    WM: comic reader mobi

sat nav
    both google maps

MP3/FM radio
    Android: built in
    WM: built-in plus power radio for FM

Battery life?

Not had the phone 2days yet, but seems similar to the WM phone so far.

The WM phone could last 2days extremely light usage, ~1day normal usage, or i have been known to burn through a full battery charge in ~5 hours when (over)using it to death (satnav+3G+web browsing+mp3 playback all at once on a car journey)

Last edited: 10 Jul 2010
  4. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Phone: Nokia 5800

Main uses: Facebook/Twitter, random photos, use it as my sole MP3 player, browsing these forums from time to time on Opera Mini, book light using the LEDs, sat nav on Ovi Maps whenever I get lost/need to find someplace.

Battery life: Lasts a day (just!) of me continually using it, two if I barely use it. It's certainly reduced since I first got it by quite a bit.

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Touch pro 2. You can make it look great by modding it. The stock look is just ugly.

[​IMG]

6. 13en

13en Minimodder

Have you tried Aldiko? I use it and it's pretty good, seems to open most types of ebook. Also it's free, which is nice.

Phone: Acer Liquid

OS: Android 2.1 (unofficial ROM - acer only support 1.6, since they released the Liquid e with 2.1 on an otherwise identical phone...)

Main uses: As a phone, also gmail, ebooks, facebook, and a couple of games (pokemon on a gba emulator, woo!) Would have been using the (unofficial) F1 live timing app a lot this weekend but it doesn't seem to work at the circuit :sigh:

7. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

What you got?
    Motorola Milestone

What OS does it run on?
    Android 2.1

Fave uses?
    Organising my entire life, being every gadget I need rolled into one.
    So that'd be texting, calendar-ing, Google-Task-ing, camera-ing, browsing, searching, navigating.

Battery life?
    I can get 3 1/2 days out of it if not used heavily, but well used and on 3G/HSPA signal it needs charging every 24hrs. Needs car charging or full charge every few hours if it's being used for navigation!

Get SwitchPro widget, it's really useful for power management on Android. The best I've seen, in fact.

8. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

iPhone.

iPhone.
    iPhone.
    IPHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONEEEEENENENWENENENeowefiof;iwfhaiptfgvoa gyulyhvbf

9. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

A lot of Android love here, I have never played with an Android phone before I think I might have to pop into Carphone warehouse to see what all the fuss is about.

10. K

K 528491

I would really like to try out the Palm Pre given half the chance. Think the OS looks amazing, the notifications system in particular. Really neat design too... But I would get berated at work for having a non-Apple phone :D

Currently I use an iPhone 4. Absolutely love it to bits. Favourite use is quite simply iPod (really is the best iPod you can get), mainly for music but recently loving the HD video capabilities of the iPhone 4. The display is just insane. Also use it a lot for Email, Twitter, messaging, maps and a few games.

Finding the battery life on this new one outstanding. I get to around 50% each day of use on 3G with full location services and a lot of WiFi use. And this is definitely through a LOT of usage.

11. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

Phone: Nexus One

Fave uses: Web/email/etc

Battery life: Heavy use it struggles to get to 2 days. Otherwise just manages 3 days.

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Had mine for less than a week

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S

Fave uses: I'm not 24/7 mobile interneting or anything but I can see it being one of those things that you get used to being able to do. One thing I really like about it and it sounds a bit boring but I love how it lays out text messages by contacts, making texting more like IM rather than e-mail. I also use it instead of my iPod touch but I'm temped to go back to using that as the music player is pretty sluggish.

Youtube is another thing, whenever anyone says, have you seen that video when we're at the pub or whatever we can actually watch it.

Battery Life: Not run out yet, I put it on charge every night, the only time the battery lasted less than a day was when I first got it so I was using it way more than normal. I've only used one bar of battery so far today.

13. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

Phone :HTC Legend
    Main uses: Music all day @ work and whilst running, tracking my runs, voip phone @ home and Sat Nav (hammers the battery so goes on charge in the car)
    Battery Life: gets charged every night but seldom runs below 35%

14. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Bizarrely, i consider this a result of phone power management getting good (bear with me)

Of old, battery life was measured as standby time, even high end phones had negligible impact on battery life as the mobile phone radio consumed almost all the power.

Nowadays the mobile phone radio stack/hardware is very efficient and basic phones can last weeks, high end phones however have (relatively) very high power CPU's tacked on compared to basic models.

if for example, two different phones have the same battery:
    -low power radio + low power phone = huge battery life
    -low power radio + high power phone + low usage = medium battery life
    -low power radio + high power phone + high usage = low battery life

Pure guesswork here, but i'd estimate a basic phone and high end phone will have roughly comparable pure standby times, but it wouldn't at all surprise me if high end phones have 5-10x the power draw* when fully active compared to basic phones :)

And lets face it, if you're one to buy a high-end phone, you're probably charging gadgets regularly anyway :)

*on my old WM phone, it's not that hard to send the phone into thermal shutdown by consuming too much power, if you enable and load all the different radios + max the CPU + charge it all at once :D

15. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Blackberry Curve 8310 on AT&T

Blackberry OS 4.5.0.182

I just use it to make calls, emails+sms and AIM. I use Opera Mini 4 to surf Newser and Facebook. The FB app isn't great on the Curve, same story with Opera Mini 5. I also use the LED flash as a flashlight at least a few times every day.

I charge it every couple days, it goes a full day no problem. Standard mini USB charger means that I can pretty much charge it anywhere too.

The trackball clicker gave out a couple of months ago, but I soon learned that the enter key does everything that button did, and it's a bit quieter too.

I came from an iPhone 3G to this, so it took a bit of getting used to.. But I love the keyboard to death, and it was nice being able to completely customize everything. My UI looks nothing like anyone elses that I've seen, and custom sound profiles are awesome. It would be amazing it I could schedule them, you probably can, but I never learned how to use the calendar or scheduler apps.

The phone is looking a bit beat up, but it has survived around 200 drops more than my iPhone, so no complaints.

16. kaujazz

kaujazz What's a Dremel?

What you got? - iPhone 3G

What OS does it run on? - iOS4

Fave uses? - TapTap 3

Battery life? - about 7 days

17. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

iPhone 4.

18. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

What you got? HTC Desire

What OS does it run on? Android 2.2

Fave uses? Using it as a phone/sms/email/facebook/internet connection device.

Battery life? 2-3 days of moderate use.

19. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Blackberry 9700 5.0 Battery 5 days Apps running on this are Tubebuddy, Twitter and facebook and I use this phone for emails and BB messenger for work
    blackberry 9000 5.0 Battery 2 days Mainly for emails
    and HTC desire Android 2.2 Battery 3 days Mainly just for internet

20. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Maybe people are, but I for one, would be happy to see a bigger battery in these bloody things for longer usage. After all, once you get towards a 4" screen, keeping the phone small becomes a little secondary in my view!