1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Games I Own: Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Jul 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. REMF

REMF What's a Dremel?

I made the REMF_UWA map for the original Raven Shield game, map-pack3 works best on the 1.41 patch or before however.

3. REMF

REMF What's a Dremel?

4. devilxc

devilxc Biding my time...

One of my favourite games. I spent as much time planning the missions as I did playing them. There were so many different ways of approaching each level. Getting a sniper in position and then giving the fire command as you storm a plane is brilliant. A million miles away from the linear gameplay of MW2.

One achievement that I was particularly proud of was planning a mission that the AI could complete with me just watching on the map and giving commands.

I also never played online mulitplayers (you had to dial up to get on the net ...wierd?!?) but it was a great LAN game.

Good times...

5. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

I remember playing Rainbow Six Lockdown, and being so completely and utterly disappointed, as my team engaged in a firefight across a crowded car park. And it only got worse with later sequels.

Rainbow Six was all about planning and speed - you get into a room, everybody has to be dead within the first few seconds. The first three were great games.

6. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Raven shield has been my favourite R6 to date, shame they lost that in the newer games (played vegas 2, its good, but not as good as raven shield)
    I can remember me and my friend playing some levels on raven shield until we had them timed perfectly, it looked damned professional. (especially the garage level, damn that took a while to master)

I love how in those early rainbow games, they shot the hostages at the slightest hint of danger, made it very tense.

7. barbary

barbary What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry you were how old??

I was probably 25, don't do that in your reviews it makes me feel old.

After about the 20th time my team failed to make it up the ladder my copy went into the bin.

8. JAMF

JAMF What's a Dremel?

I only ever played Raven Shield and only online with a team. That was a lot of fun.

9. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

I still have Raven Shield. It's become quite a relic to have a game with that amount of strategy and realism in today's console oriented gaming world.

10. trig

trig god's little mistake

i played this game longer than anything else in my entire life. fired it up less than a year ago just for farts and funnies. also played high heat baseball with sammy sosa for years lolz...multi player kept this game going for a long time....and the free hax those noobs could get...

11. alwayssts

alwayssts What's a Dremel?

I too played this game longer than most any other! The original R6, and R6 Rogue Spear are definitely classics. It harkens back to a simpler time:

*Remember the NATO mods?

*Remember when GAMESPY was a multiplayer hub?

This and Jedi Knight, DF2 consumed wayyy too many hours of my youth. I was just thinking about this game...They just don't make 'em like that anymore. Glad someone called it to attention!

12. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

I loved this game. I couldn't have been more than 12 years old when I started playing them :)

13. Chombo

Chombo What's a Dremel?

I loved Rogue Spear to death. It was the first game to really hook me on shooters. I really felt the single player campaign was really well done and the missions were tense, the music helped a lot.

Raven Shield was the swan song for the series in my mind. One last hurrah before it all changed. I loved Raven Shield as well however I didn't feel the campaign was as strong as it could have been, maybe its because the locales were generic.

14. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Yes I remember the NATO mods! And the OTAN mods too! I even made a few mods actually, it was such an easy game to develop new weapons for and make badass reticles.

Rogue Spear has to be my favourite game of all time, I loved it. The Multiplayer was insanely good fun. Who remembers bunkers and the no crossing rule! Awesome!!

15. brandonvb

brandonvb What's a Dremel?

Wow, I used to be able to play bunkers all day long.

16. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

one the best, if not THE best FPS multiplayer ive ever played... ever....

(and i play alotta them)

the SP is nice, but multi is where it is. no other games ever made me panicky and frustrated as i play a round.

BUNKERRRRRRR!!!!!!!! :D

Peek from the opening SLOWLY so u dont give away your position!!

aah, the beauty of multiplayer on a 56k...

17. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Completely agree with you since that was my first fps experience! I loved the whole game and had that same feelings when playing.
    I remember perfectly, I was doing the Ukraine mission, one team dead and only 2 elements on the other, killed the one behind me after he killed my partner but when I turn to the stairs I see a shotgun then bam, dead, game wasn't saved and I got frustrated as hell!

18. pcrispim

pcrispim What's a Dremel?

Well, i'm going to feel old as hell for this but...

Those were the good days!!!

Love that game.
    Still think it's probably the best gameplay ever. I still have the cd -- back when the cd doubled as game cd and soundtrack -- but i don't think i can get a pc old enough to run it...

oh well...
    man, i'm old...

19. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I remember doing 2-player co-op terrorist hunts on the toughest difficulty level, it was utterly fantastic. Possibly the only game I've ever played where you genuinely have to work together and cover each other to survive.

20. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Haha, I'm glad to see a lot of people agreeing about how awesome this game was. Even I'm starting to think of those days as the good old days and like I said I was only 10 at the time of playing...

I did actually play R63, but shamefully it was on my brother's Xbox, and didn't know that the PC version had the planning stages still! I'm tempted to hunt out some bargain bins for the PC version since everyone is saying it was really good too.

Tags: Add Tags