1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other PC won't POST, fans etc whirring (pt2)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jono51, 10 Jul 2010.

1. jono51

jono51 What's a Dremel?

This is a bit of a continuation of this thread
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=190054
    To give the lowdown on everything, essentially it will turn on but not off, all fans seem kick in at 100% and cpu sits in phase one power mode (msi 770-c45 mobo). I tried all the clear cmos etc but no luck, so sent rma'd the cpu and mobo. Scan found no fault and they booted fine into bios and win7.

I've recieved the parts back and now I've got it on a piece of cardboard. The only things connected are a single stick of ram, the cpu heatsink and the 5770 graphics card. The only connectors hooked up are the 24 pin, 4 pin cpu and 6 pin power connectors, as well as the cpu fan. I'm shorting the power pins with a screwdriver. The thing is, I have the exact same problem. I've tried both sticks of ram but no difference with either. It still turns on but not off, fans kick in and cpu sits in phase one power.

So surely it has to be either the graphics card, ram or psu. Anyone have any ideas? This is really annoying me now.

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Can you get another GPU to test with, I had a mobo do the same thing and it turned out to be the GPU at fault.

3. jono51

jono51 What's a Dremel?

I don't have another gpu to test with unfortunately. I've tried removing both the gpu and ram and I don't get any beeps still. Maybe my speakers bust or perhaps the psu could cause this. I really dont know.

Looking at it, it could be the gpu i guess. Happened to find the exact same thread here. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/289904-15-5770-hawk-dead
    Looks like I may have to do another scan rma then. Maybe this time the part is actually dead.

4. jono51

jono51 What's a Dremel?

Okay guys, just for a conclusion to this. Took the stuff down to a local pc store. Had it tested for a tenner. Turneed out it was the PSU, so I bought another and I'll get a refund on the faulty corsair one. Hopefully it'll all work now. Thanks for the help and suggestions along the way everyone.

5. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

Wow. A faulty corsair? You would expect better from them. Was it a new one?

I have heard about similar problems with new builds and it turned out that just by removing the battery for a minute to clear the CMOS worked a treat - but not in your case.

6. jono51

jono51 What's a Dremel?

Yeah, brand new one. Guess I just got unlucky on that one.