1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Xbox 360 Slim Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 16 Jul 2010.

1. evanjdooner

evanjdooner Booty like POW!

I'm going to add a +1 to the "test games installed to the HDD" sentiment. The first thing that I do when I get a new game is install it. Making a cup of tea while it installs means I rarely, if ever, hear the DVD drive whirring away.

2. Bahaz

Bahaz What's a Dremel?

Would the "old" model HDD work if you ripped it out of the casing and connect it by a normal SATA cable? Have to buy a new 360 soon, and not sure about buying a second-hand elite, or the new S model Arcade version. I was leaning to plan #2, but then I read that the old HDD's weren't compatible with the S, so my 20GB would be useless. :(

3. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

:D

4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

We dont need a re-design...

We need NEW CONSOLES.........

Sick and tired of DX9 class gfx on my PC because everything is developed for these outdated underpowered Fisher Price toys....

5. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

I 100% agree, my pc gaming days have declined to a point i sold my Gaming PC : /

I still have an Xbox but its an arcade version that i just use for playing DVDs and the occasional dabble on Halo or Fable.

*Unhappy Face*

6. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

I would love a new Xbox or PlayStation, but lets be real, there is no way that the current economy could support it.

The sales would be dismal and publishers wouldn't want to invest the money required to bring game fidelity up to 'next gen' standards.

Most of them don't even want to invest the money required to bring games up to current gen standards...

7. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Don't forget Microsoft said they don't intend to make a new console until 2014.

8. mckoneds

mckoneds What's a Dremel?

I don't own a 360 currently. I'll consider this version when they start bundling it with a few decent games.

9. ChiperSoft

ChiperSoft What's a Dremel?

Sigh, I see they still chose to place the HDMI port in such a way that you can't have any other A/V connector plugged in. God forbid you want to run digital sound to something other then your display. At least it looks like they added a toslink port to resolve some of this.

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Elites come with, or at least they used to, a smaller version of the AV connector that just has audio. It allows you to plug in both HDMI and separate audio.

The 360 has also always had toslink, it's not on the back of the console but on the AV connector.

11. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Really? Joe, seriously, theres a lot of 360 owners with the original from day 1, you know, the one without HDMI, without the larger HDD.

As an owner of said device, it IS worth the upgrade.

Sam

12. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

People complain about the DVD drive but would you rather have longer loading times? If it really bothers you that much use the hard drive.

13. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I thought the S in Xbox 360 S stood for "special". As in "my mum says I'm ...". :p

14. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Not quite.

There are only a few benefits of using HDMI over component - the quality is not much better, if at all and whilst some tvs don't have component support, if you already have an Xbox 360 chances are yours does.

You can get an Xbox 360 250GB hard drive for £69: http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-3211.aspx

That's a helluva lot less than the new one.

Joe's looked at it objectively, for the majority of owners rather than the minority.

15. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Use the money to upgrade your PC, or apply it to a new PC, don't go ghetto Gamer!

S*D

16. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I can agree with looking at it objectively, and that most interested will already have one, but do you really think those are the people MS is aiming it at?

The way I see it, MS is trying to pull in all the side-liners and fence-sitters, and tbh, I think they have done a good job. It's a shame it's taken them so long to put this version out, but it's cooler, lookers better, has built in wireless n, comes with a massive (for consoles) 250GB, quieter (for all those installing games, and who isn't going to with a 250GB HDD?) and all this for less than the original's launch price?

Bull's Eye, I feel. For the target audience of course. Hell, mine is on the way out, and I am seriously considering picking one up when I'm not poor as ****.

17. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Love it, will be exchanging a 2 year old elite and £99 cash for this new one. Given the current one has a dodgy DVD drive, it would cost £79 for Microsoft to collect and repair it. So I may as well just go for the exchange now.

I have to admit, the Xbox360 is an excellent media centre linked up to the homeserver and now with SkyPlayer it's even better at it.

Just because I'm being positive doesn't mean it has no faults but for what it is, it does it well. My PC gaming doesn't suffer as a result of owning one and neither should yours!

18. dextro

dextro What's a Dremel?

That's actually not all, apparently this one will show a warning message on-screen about overheating and shut itself down before it gets critical. At least that's one step better than just flat out dying... I think...

Word on the web is that it works but don't take my word for it.

19. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

So just about everything in the box is the same except the box it's in is shiny black and a tad smaller?

Emperor/new clothes or what???

Ya gotta be a real f**king mug to buy one of these!

20. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

saw it today... not as nice as the old one

mine in the slagged off lianli is better :)