1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft: iPhone 4 is Apple's Vista

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Jul 2010.

1. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Correct. The whole thing is something of a pissing contest between to dramatically opposed groups. Those people who have the phones in their hands for the most part seem very happy.

2. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Unless of course you have one in your hands which means you're crying after the large layout or extended contract you have on a internationally proven flawed product.

3. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Belongs in awesome thread tbh. And the other one that takes the piss out of iPhone. :thumb:

4. rollo

rollo Modder

My m8 got his with a case as he does for all phones he buys ( works on a building site) and he's had no issues at all

He usually wrecks a phone every other week due to dust and debri on site so we will see how long it lasts.

Personally use a Bluetooth headset forcalls with mine

5. GeekyGray

GeekyGray Are we there yet?

Ugh, I wish the big tech companies would all pull their heads in.

This furore is Apples own doing. If they cut back on spouting off their marketing propaganda about being the second coming to the technology world, impervious to flaw or weakness, all others are wrong/inferior in comparison, etc., they wouldn't find themselves getting such intense media scrutiny over this issue. They need to take this one on the chin and admit that yes, indeed there is a fault in some handsets, at take some accountability on the matter. Not try passing the buck by telling the consumer it's their problem because they aren't holding it correctly. Just because a lot of users report no issue, doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist.

As for Microsoft, I think showing some humility might be a good approach. Just because Apple are taking a level of criticism (perceived or otherwise) usually only reserved for their own products, they shouldn't be so quick to forget their own chequered past before twisting the knife. Sure it's amusing that they openly admit that Vista wasn't their defining moment, but a more humble approach towards Apples plight would have at least cut off an avenue for Apple deflect some of the heat.

6. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

The trigger was probably that Apple claimed it to be a 1000000000000% (honest!) software issue when it's a hardware issue.

7. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

They should have put this in a commercial.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Great phone?

No.

Great computing device for bespoke applications?

Yes.

Providing, that is, you have the signal to download and use them...

Depends which hand..

9. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

My missus just got one, on my recommendation. Had a play about with it in the shop - the screen's fantastic, all connections are spot-on (even 3G seems pretty sweet, and I'm not in an area of amazing coverage), and the touch-sensitive keyboard is well-spaced, complete with number pad. It's big, but not MASSIVE - you'll take some getting used to for the first few calls, but after that, it's a non-issue.

The only flaw I've spotted with it so far is it's in her pocket and not mine.

10. scawp

scawp What's a Dremel?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (I hate Apple) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

11. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

Updated to 4.1 last night, since then i've had between 4 and 5 bars consistently and no longer have the issue with the wireless or 3G traffic dropping despite where i'm holding it. Impressive for a software update being it's a limitation of the physical hardware. :thumb:

Edit: Although the general consensus in the community is the signal bar appearance is cosmetic. Whatever they changed it worked a treat for me :)

Last edited: 16 Jul 2010
  12. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

If your battery life drops then it's Apple's using more aggressive signal algorithms to grab the signal.

13. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

OMFG...i nearly pissed myself thats so funny. Kick em while there down MS

14. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

Will monitor :thumb:

15. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Just bring out the htc evo 4 over here and I'll donate my 3GS to an unfortunate iPhone 4 owner!
    Also like the way samsung are thinking by placing a projector in the top corner of some of their upcoming smartphones

16. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

But surely that will be just a gimmick to keep the kids happy? Well to start with, until the tech advances more. Kind of like when the first cameras appeared in phones - great for 2 minutes until the crappy pictures made you want a real camera. Has anyone here got one of those mini pocket projectors and can explain whether they are good or not? I was tempted to buy one about a year ago when I was in Staples, but I really struggled to think of absolutely any reason I would need one ...

17. BlackRaven

BlackRaven Freaking printers!

Just to note that the signal problem with the iphone is a hw issue rather than a sw issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If Microsoft is actually going to produce their own hw with Windows Phone 7 then fair enough but if not then they should just stay quiet. Apple seems to have the sw side on the right track but on the hw side they will need to do better.

18. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

19. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

20. oceanwaves7

oceanwaves7 What's a Dremel?

"a 'fix' for what the company claims is a simple software bug which results in a false signal reading in marginal areas"

So now apple is desperately trying to hack their own software fake a higher signal reading than is actually there. As said, it fixes nothing. So now those poor people will have their call dropped, yet the signal meter will fake a higher reading than is there. But hey, it's Apple, and 90% of apples users are brainwashed to the point that if it's shiny they will believe apple and no one else. What can you do...

Tags: Add Tags