1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus shows off dual Nvidia Fermi card

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 16 Jul 2010.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

oops sorry, double posted.

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The 480 is faster and more expensive than the 5870. The Ares uses 2x 5870s, the Ares costs 1200£, so this will probably be closer to 1500£ if it ever hits the market (which I don't really believe in).

3. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

So yeah. The only real time when something like that would be appropriate is where you need as much processing power as possible inside a really confined area. Considering just a few racks of SAN (Storage Across the Network) can run into the millions, 250k per rack of insane processing power isn't much.

But if you're doing something like that, I assume you can just work directly with NVIDIA to create custom femri blade servers...

That said, I really wouldn't want to hear what the fans sound like when air is all you have to cool 48 femri cores.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

For the brain dead

4gpus max per system which means 2 total of this card as it has 2 gpu on it you can't but 7 in sli even if you wanted to

4 x 480 would be cheaper and faster

5. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Sigh.

Before anyone else goes waffling on about some imaginary GPU limit, read this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA

You aren't using 7 of these cards for gaming. You're using them to crunch data in specific programs. Say a folding rig. So yes, while 4 x 480 would be faster, I fail to see how 4 GPUs would be faster than 14.

6. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

I think that in terms of CUDA performance this will simply crush everything that it replaces.

7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'm hoping Asus is willing to make a special waterblock for this. Unless on of the BT members makes a waterblock for this, like how they made a waterblock for the FX5900.

8. Archandel

Archandel What's a Dremel?

But will it blend?!

9. Pooeypants

Pooeypants What's a Dremel?

The Asus Ares 5870 costs 1200 quid over here, that's 1800USD. Enough to kit out a full system with dual 5870 and have enough money to buy a decent monitor. It does come in a nice case though...

How long is this card going to be?

10. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Am I the only one that thinks that 1 DVI, 1 HDMI and 1 HDMI-mini output is not that impressive for a dual GPU card.

11. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

It's an nVidia limitation.

12. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

354 bungholio-marks dont lie!

Tags: Add Tags