1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The iPhone 4 / iOS Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 7 Jun 2010.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

No - the only carrier setting update I had was applied fine (I'm on Three), as it opened up my tethering options.

MMS - I haven't sent any for a while, but I am recieving them fine.

2. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I understand your logic but i think this case is different. The iPhone is first and foremost a phone; that is its primary function and if this is severely compromised then it should be fixed, not worked around. It would be like buying the Dell A01 and finding every so often it just went blank. You wouldn't put up with it, you would return it.

IMO Apple are in a unique place with this situation as their main selling point is ease of use and the user experience. Earlier in this thread people were lauding Apple as being the kings of industrial design and it turns out they have produced a severely compromised design. Apple makes enough on the iPhone that they could issue a recall and absorb the hit and restore consumer confidence.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2010
    wyx087 likes this.
  3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

OK, do this test. Wait until it is sunny (and wait... and wait...). Then take outside a device with an AMOLED screen and an SLCD screen. See which one can be read in full sunlight.

Now you know why the Desire will be equiped with an SLCD.

There is also the issue that manufacturers currently cannot get their hands on AMOLEDs for love nor money. They are not being manufactured fast enough. Motorola simply can't get their Droids built at the moment. Of course, scarcity drives up the price and that kills profit margins.

4. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I know perfectly well how an OLED screen works in the sun and it's not nearly as dramatic as most of the people try to make it. However it might easier to see on the zune under direct sunlight because the interface is dark and highly contrasted.

Of course for a phone I can understand that great visiblity is important under all conditions so I will probably just go for the Desire regardless of the type of screen it uses.

With that said, I still hope the image will be as good in the dark

5. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

@Ghys: Agreed about OLED.

I have a Zune HD which has a OLED screen and while it's perhaps not quite as visible in direct sunlight as my current phone's LCD screen it not that bad.

Plus the other 95% of the time the OLED screen looks gorgeous. Watching movies on it is superb.

6. Nexxo

AMOLED: on a HTC Desire, simply awesome. On a Samsung Galaxy? Aargh! The goggles, they do nothing!!!

Seriously. On the Samsung colours are garish. Not just somewhat oversaturated garish as Japanese TVs tends to be guilty of, but neon garish.

7. Nexxo

Well, I've turned to the dark side (even more) and upgraded to an iPhone 4. First impressions are favourable.

The build quality has gone up a notch (not that the old ones were in any way flimsy). Compare it to a Samsung Galaxy and they are, well, galaxies apart. The only other phones of comparable quality are the HTC devices. It also feels heavier and although this may convey build quality you also get the impression that you really don't want to drop it on a hard floor. The Samsung Galaxy may feel flimsy but it is also so light that dropping it probably would do it no appreciable damage.

The screen is awesome. The higher resolution genuinely makes everything much clearer and easier to read on a tiny screen without having to zoom in. I'd say this was a good consideration by Apple, not just a fad feature. And the thing is fast. It feels much more smooth and responsive and the web browser feels almost as fast as the one on my PC with a 10Mbit pipe.

There is the whole antenna thing but whether it makes an actual difference in calls I have yet to see. I do think that Apple missed a trick by making the back panel glass rather than rubber or preferably a nice quality leather (black, brown or white --take your pick), which would have been in keeping with the Leica-esque design but also lain better in the hand and worn beautifully. Perhaps an idea for an aftermarket mod?

We'll see how it performs in practice...

8. GreatOldOne

Welcome. I'll just get you a key so you can join the rest of us Sith in the executive lounge. ;)

No doubt the third party case makers are looking into, especially as iFixit showed just how easy it is to remove the back (undo two screws, slide up, remove)

My mate just recieved his last night - and just to make it clear, and nix any rumours that there is some sort of hardware revision going on - his phone is a Week 28 build, and looks exactly the same as my week 23 build phone. No changes to the antenna band look or feel, no changes to the notches as have been rumoured.

It exhibits the same attenuation as mine does in the same locations at work if 'deathgripped' - i.e none to one bar loss in most of the building, down in the dungeon (underground canteen) down to 1 bar, but still rocking decent speed tests. He's over the moon with it. :)

We're going to try and set up his MiFi later on to see if we can do a FaceTime across the office. :lol:

BTW - anyone else on Three get another carrier update this morning? I did - now on v7.2. Tethering is still there, so not sure what they've done.

9. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Glad to hear you are enjoying it so much. Good idea on the back panel. I'm toying with the idea of getting a carbon cover for it to prevent any scratches. I'm waiting on the free case deal before I decide on what to do.

10. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

For those with sweaty hands:

[​IMG]

11. Cabe6403

@Goo: I'm thinking of going with Three when I get round to getting an iP4. Currently I'm in Switzerland and will be until September so I'd have to do it online and get it shipped. Only thing is Three aren't letting people order online yet (I'm in no rush so it doesn't bother me)
    How would you rate Three as a provider, I've never been on them before. Also, what kind of tariffs are they offering in store. I'd probably go for a 24 month contract.

12. GreatOldOne

Cabe - I've only been with three since the 24th (so about a month), and have no issues with them so far. Certainly no worse than O2.

I'm on the £30PPM / 24 month contract - 500 mins, 5000 texts, 5000 three to three minutes & 1 GB of data per month.

If you're going on contract, you can buy from a bricks'n'mortar Apple Store (if they have stock that is) now, and sign up to three there and then.

I don't think they're getting iPhone 4's in Three stores until later in the year.

http://www.three.co.uk/Phones/iPhone

13. Nexxo

Hey, you got cookies! :p

Good to hear. Means I can make my own back panel some time. I was thinking of a nice weathered tan leather. :)

Mine displays the signal attenuation in the lefty 'death grip', but I'm not sure what to make of it. All I know is that as I moved around the hospital where I work today making phone calls, even in a firm left-handed grip of death I got crystal clear call quality in all the signal death spots where my old 3G was known to break up or drop calls altogether. Seriously.

14. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

Not this morning, but I'm on 7.2 as well. I haven't spotted anything.

15. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Ah-hah! I knew all those "no mobile phones" signs were ********!

16. Cabe6403

There's an idea... the issue still is that I'm in Switzerland at the moment =/
    I'm in London for a few days in August so I could probably pick one up then I guess. If not then I'll have to wait until september / october.

17. Nexxo

I'm staff. I'm special. :p

18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I must confess, I am begining to consider going (back) to an iPhone. A lot of my initial gripes seem to have been at least vaguely addressed.

Well, except being able to answer a call with a physical button (so far as I can tell)..

19. GreatOldOne

You are correct. You still answer in the same way as you always have on an iPhone. Swipe the screen, or if you're in an app or on a home screen the answer call button that will appear.

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Which, sadly, is my biggest gripe. I like wearing gloves (yes, yes, ever so womanly), which makes it rather hard to answer a call quickly :p