1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Inception

Discussion in 'General' started by okenobi, 16 Jul 2010.

1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Nolan seems to have a gift. Let's just hope he's not the next Shyamalan

2. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Let's wait for Airbender before we pass total judgement on M. Night, shall we? ;)

In the meantime, Nolan is a master craftsman and his work has to be seen to be believed. For anybody worried about Memento, this is more complex AND less so at the same time.

Whilst I found there was more going on to understand and appreciate, I could see how you could certainly miss the odd thing here and there and it wouldn't ruin your enjoyment of the movie.

3. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Just got back from seeing it in IMAX glory. It was very good.

I found it easier to follow than Memento, even though I missed a fair few lines of dialogue throughout the film.

To be fair, he already has more than a couple of half decent films under his belt, so he's doing better than Shyamalan thus far.

4. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Double post. Damn forum backup :grr:

Last edited: 20 Jul 2010
  5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I dunno if I'll get to see this one.. my girl doesn't like decaprio after shutters island =]

6. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

I saw this last night. Amazing movie that left me thinking about the intent. It was really kind of a mind-fark. I haven't seen a movie in a long time, if ever, that made me think so much.

What I got out of it in /spoiler/ because I don't want to give anything away to those who haven't seen it:
    There are a lot of things in the movie that suggest that it is all a dream. Whose dream, I haven't figured out but it's most likely Cobb's dream. The dream to me is his way of dealing with the loss of his wife. Outside of the dream, she may not even be dead, she could have just left him and taken the kids with her(the hotel scene about her statement to a lawyer). The biggest hint to me that it's a dream is the final scene, he see's his kids again and they're in the same position, same age, and same clothes as his last memory of them.

On the other hand, the mind-fark side. The whole movie is about inception, the idea of planting an idea. There is no time-line given for any of this that I remember. The only hint that it's a long time is Cobb's talk with Miles, you get a feeling that it has been a long time from his comment that it will take more than gifts to remind the kids that they've got a father. I know they said they spent many years in dreams but what about the real world? It's possible that the whole thing happened over a couple weeks and the kids didn't age much at all(even if the exact clothes and position are unlikely.) The point I'm trying to get at on this side is the movie could be playing on it's own premise to the audience. Nolan put things in the movie to suggest to the audience that it's all a dream, gave us things to look for and point out and say "hah! I see what you did there" and make it our idea just like they were only suggesting things to Fischer...

7. richythomas

richythomas Minimodder

Went to watch it yesterday afternooon as it was about the only film in the cinema that we both wanted to watch (exception is Twilight as my wife would go and watch that over and over again and if she decided to go and see that for a third time then I would have had to tow the line too) and what a fantastic film! Very glad we went to see it.

After the last few movies where I've been able to switch off and just watch them, I found myself having to think about this one. What a relief! Fantastic film. Definitely recommended.

I thought the ending was great although I won't post any spoilers...

Our cineworld unlimited pass may be used to see this film again on the weekend although I think I'm in for another edward screening. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.... ;-)

8. K

K 528491

Yeah... This film is pure win. I don't think anyone was doubting that Nolan would ever miss the mark, and this is his most cerebral and ambitious film so far. Easily the best director of the past ten years. Undoubtedly.

9. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Just watched it, enjoyed it. Good movie, but not as amazing as you lot are making out in my opinion. My initial verdict would be 8/10, but I may need a bit more time to take it all in.

I think a lot of people think Nolan's films are like the second coming of Christ... but I think they're just good. :)

The Toy likes this.
  10. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Very, very good film. Up there with my favourites. Now to see Toy Story 3 tomorrow...or should I say today/later.

11. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

so... am I supposed to go see this movie?

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

yes, dummy

13. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Oh, alright then.

14. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

hmmmm.... gives me idea.... ;)

15. boiled_elephant

I know what you're thinking, and I agree.

Let's all go to the cinema to watch Twilight Eclipse!

16. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

close... but no.

17. boiled_elephant

...you know you want to.

18. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

Just got back from seeing this, wrote a long post about how epic it is, forums crashed.

Go see this film!

19. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

Watched it earlier, loved it. One to get on DVD for sure.

20. eVoPhantom

eVoPhantom What's a Dremel?

B..b...but I wanted to go see toy story 3........ damn you guys and your use of the imperative form.