1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Black 'n' White (an Antec P180 Mini mod) (Update: 16.7.2010: The last update]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by KingCake, 8 Mar 2010.

1. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

Wasn't sure about the orange at first, but I think it'll grow on me. ;) Any plans to put images/text/logo or whatever on the keyboard?

2. KingCake

KingCake What's a Dremel?

Agressions: Thanks! That was very nice to hear. :) I wasn't sure about the orange part of the keyboard before I finally assembled it, but as you say, it flows perfect with the black and white. The orange colour making a cool contrast to the keyboard.

Oggyb: Nice to read that you liked it too! :) At the moment I've no plans about logos or text on the keyboard, but you gave me an idea.

3. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

White black and orange are a perfect match.

4. KingCake

Yep, it is a cool combination. Maybe it should be the colour scheme for my next project?

5. Alexandros

Alexandros What's a Dremel?

That would be amazing :jawdrop:! My suggestion: go mostly white, with some orange, and then some small accents in black.

6. KingCake

Maybe I'll post an update tomorrow! :) Here's a little teaser:

[​IMG]

7. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

can I ask what tool you used for the sata power and data cables to take off the connectors?

Lovely mod by the way I'm trying to do the same black and white cable colour scheme with my Fractal Design R2.

8. KingCake

Thanks! :) To remove the molex connectors, I used a tweezer. The SATA connectors is clip-on connectors from Performance-PCs. You just put the cables between two sharp metal pieces and put the top on. Easy stuff! :)

9. KingCake

Update 12
    Painting the PSU

Today, I started painting the PSU. :) Or more exactly, the upper half of it. Why just the upper part? Because someone decided to make it impossible to remove the power button and the power plug without a soldering iron. And I don't have any soldering iron, so I couldn't remove neither the power plug, power button nor the circuit board, since this one was soldered to the power plug and power button again. Therefore, the PSU will be 50/50 white and charcoal grey, but inside the case, the white part will be most visible. :)

So, today I painted the upper cover, which was not soldered to the rest of the PSU, and yesterday, I painted the fan grill, which was the teaser I posted this night. But enough talking, here is the pictures:

[​IMG]
    Before painting.

[​IMG]
    First layer ...

[​IMG]
    Second layer ...

[​IMG]
    And finish for today! I will paint some new layers on Friday, and clear coat it on Saturday. :)

[​IMG]
    Rest of the PSU + the new fan

So guys, what do you think? :)

Sponsors:
    [​IMG]

10. KingCake

Update 13
    The PSU is finished!

Yep, the PSU is complete again. It's painted and the original fan is replaced with a black and white one from Fractal Design. :) I've not been home the last two weeks (visiting my father), so I had to borrow my grandfathers computer to test the PSU after assembling again. And it works. So my paint and fan job have been sucessful. :) But enough talk, here is your pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Felt that I had to promote my sponsors. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The power cable to the fan had to be on the outside of the PSU, 'cause the fan connector inside the PSU had a different layout than the Fractal Design -fan.

Tomorrow, I'm going home to the Eastern Norway and my home again, where two packages, one from DealExtreme and one from ChilledPC waits. :) Tomorrow and some days further I will be with my girlfriend, but I think that I will finish the project, for this time, in a week. :)

But, what do you think about the PSU after the modding? :D

Sponsors:
    [​IMG]

11. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

That fractal sticker doesnt need to be there. It ruins the whole PSU.

Great P180 Mini btw. I have one too. Yesterday i cut a window which looks great!

12. KingCake

It's not a sticker, just a cardboard patch I cut out from the box the fan was inside. :)
    Btw, thanks! :)

And I have good news for you guys, it is teaser time tonight!

[​IMG]

13. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

I Love this mod cause it is not super complicated and it should come out with a nice clean attractive minimalist look, which I love!

I just ordered a Fractal Define R2 (Titanium) which should be coming tomorrow, and this is kinda the look i'm going for as well. Wont bother posting a project log though, although I might post a DUST log to show you guys how much dust is in my components from my old case (not cleaned for 2 years so you can imagine!) major cleanup to come tomorrow :(

14. KingCake

Update 14
    The last update, for this time

First, thank you maximus. :) The goal with the project was to get it minimalistic.

And then; The last week I've been working hard with finishing the project. I've sleeved and modded. :p Because tomorrow I'm going on a trip to western Norway, and when I get home from that trip, I'm going on a weekend to London. And then, when I get home again, I will go strait to the city of Stavanger and the Royal Norwegian Navy basre there to start my time as an apprentice. So the next two years I won't get so much time for modding.

Therefore, I have to finish my project, for this time. Maybe I'll do some little modding when I'm home from the Navy, but I can't promise you it. But when I'm finished in the Navy, I think I will start a new and greater project! :)

But enough talk and over to the pictures.

Part 1, assembling
    [​IMG]
    The sleeved cables

[​IMG]
    The modified GPU-cooler. Originally it had two fans, but the other one made to much noise and was broken. So I removed it, and now I have to liv with a bit high temperatures. :p

[​IMG]
    The PSU

[​IMG]
    The DVD-burner

[​IMG]
    The case itself

[​IMG]
    Routing the cables

Part 2 -The result

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, thank you guys for following my project! :) I hope you have enjoyed it!

And now, tell me what you think 'bout the result. :D

Sponsors:
    [​IMG]

15. Jolly-Swagman

Jolly-Swagman "Hands of The Gods"

Very nice indeed like the Pureness of the White, very clinical and clean looking well done!
    Good luck on your navy Duties, and take care bro!
    We will be here when you get back!

16. hurv

hurv What's a Dremel?

Very nicely done, I love the clean look. :clap:

17. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

Mmmmm. Oreos.

18. bushi

bushi What's a Dremel?

Nice and clean.

But no white love for the CPU fan?

19. rak500

rak500 Minimodder

Lovely build!
    I followed you throughout the build and I am very impressed!
    Get yourself a good thermolab baam and a couple of arctic cooling f12 pwm and you got yourself a cool, quiet b&w machine...

Well done sir!

20. KingCake

Thank you guys! :)