1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Corsair extends Force Series SSD range

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Jul 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

INB4 'Still too expensive'

3. koli

koli What's a Dremel?

This is no-brainer for anybody who runs linux as you can easily fit Linux install on one.
    And I agree with "yakyb". If £86 for a drive is still to expensive,

Last edited by a moderator: 22 Jul 2010
  4. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

40GB almost looks to be within my wallet's grasp.

Then I saw the currency.

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Koli now that's a completely unnecessary comment.

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Getting there, especially seeing the performance of a 120GB OCZ Solid2 in an ultraportable environment... if that 80GB one was a tiny bit cheaper I'd probably get one as 40GB seems a bit cramped. Especially for Windows.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I agree.

8. koli

koli What's a Dremel?

I agree as well, let's all go up in arms about this.
    Anyway, please accept my deepest apology, I didn't mean to offend your sensitive souls.

9. yakyb

sorry is that meant to be sarcasm i'm not sure

my point is that traditional HDDs are roughly 4p per GB until SSDs can reach £1 - £1.50 per GB i will feel that they are too expensive for me

i think that as technology improves and price of regular memory drops to a more reasonable level we will soon reach this but it is still a little soon just yet (although the C300 64GB is tempting)

10. yakyb

what was the comment?

11. koli

koli What's a Dremel?

No it is not supposed to be sarcasm.
    My point is that for linux you only need small drive so relative cost is not so important as long as the absolute cost is low and the size of the drive is sufficient for your needs.

This concept can be compared to cost-benefit analysis in economics where marginal benefit of an aditional unit of whatever it is you consume will decrease with consumption. You only need so many GBs so at one point you will stop caring how much additional GB cost as you won't just need it.

E.g according to your logic you would buy 100tb drive for £3000 just because relative cost is 3p per GB. But no rational person would buy that drive because normal user doesn't need 100tb.

So I would buy 10gb ssd drive for ubuntu even if it costs £25 (£2.5 per GB) because I get the speed of the "big" (128gb) drive but it would only cost £25.

12. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

It seems to me that manufacturers are scared of crossing the £2/gb barrier. Once they do though I reckon the sales will really start to come in - and I might dip into my savings then as well.

13. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

They already have http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2010/07/21/crucial-realssd-c300-64gb-ssd-review/1

I agree with koli if I understand correctly, the price to me is more important than the price per GB, I don't see SSD's as a replacement to HDD's so for me they're only for high performance random read/writes so buying anything bigger than 60GB is wasted on me as it would end up being a storage device more than a boot drive. I'd be more than happy to drop £100-£150 on a 60GB drive like the Vertex 2E or the 64GB C300 because they're more like a powerful graphics card or a sound card upgrade, you might not need it but if you want better graphics settings or better audio then you buy one, I want an SSD to have better boot times, better load times for my programs and if my operating system is doing something requiring accessing lots of different places at once I don't want to feel like I'm getting less response and general slowdown. I'll buy an SSD for a faster all round experience and use my HDD's for games and storage of media and other assorted crap that clutters my 1TB spinpoint which is now at 786MiB :wallbash:

Just my 2p

Also according to Anandtech since kernal 2.6.33 Linux supports trim so as koli says a 40GB or smaller would be perfect for most linux distro's since you'd no longer degrade faster than someone using Windows 7 :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Jul 2010
  14. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Hmm that looks tempting. Tbh I was expecting someone to come in with some cheap-and-not-so-cheerful SSD under 2/GB that wouldn't be worth a look, but I'm glad to hear it's going in the right direction with the performance models as well.

Still, I'm not sure if that would be enough for me. Thanks mostly to Steam, my boot/programs partition is just over 170GB. I'm sure I could cut that down a lot as there are a lot of games I've got installed that I don't play, but even if I choose carefully I think I could struggle with a 120GB drive. For me the main advantage of an SSD would be slower load times particularly in games, so if I can't take advantage of that properly then it's not such a wise investment.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

16. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Because they had a table showing the £ per GB that is visible as soon as you open the page, I was linking to the table not the review :p

If you wanted I could've posted the news article which shows the same table but I already had the review in a tab.

Tags: Add Tags