1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs I Hate Jade Empire

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 23 Jul 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Morrius

Morrius What's a Dremel?

Don't play it then?

3. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

*whoosh*

4. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

ok so it was the worst bioware game yet, but in fact still playable, and probably still of a higher quality than 70% of the games that get released.

this just speaks for the quality of bioware in the marketplace, not the quality of jade empire.

5. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I own Jade Empire. I've played it twice. Both times I could not bring myself to continue once I left the Wuxia-village setting.

I think perhaps it was due to the fact that whilst it wasn't an overly bad game in my opinion, it wasn't Bioware's top notch stuff.

I hold Bioware in high regard. Higher than any other games company out there. They can do no wrong for me, but when something they make is not the equivalent of an "OMGIMUSTPLAYTHISNOW" type game, I tend to stop playing as I don't want to ruin my perception of the company. I am, for example, completely psyched for The Old Republic. I can't wait to play it. I only hope they pull it off (it looks like they will from what I've seen).

So basically, what I'm saying is Jade Empire is a decent game, it's just not Bioware decent. I hold a 90% Bioware game in higher regard than any other 90% score on a game.

Could it have been the project of a junior at the company perhaps? Perhaps a fledgling development team given a go at something original?

PS. I think I'll add it back to the pile of games I have to play. I'll give it another shot.

Last edited: 23 Jul 2010
  6. matt...

matt... Slacker

personally I loved it - the combat was great and I loved the choice of styles...

also getting to 'bed' both sisters was sweet too!

7. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

I didn't have as much trouble with the story as with how linear the game was. There was no option to choose the order in which you do things - you were constantly funnelled from one game area to the next (particularly in the last quarter of the game, when any sense of exploration or role-playing goes out of the window). I guess that just reinforces the supine naivety of the main player character.

I agree that it was far from Bioware's best, but I did enjoy the atmosphere, particularly in and around Tien's Landing, and some of the characters like Henpecked Hu were very amusing.

8. dispie

dispie What's a Dremel?

jade Empire sucked,

it had great potential but it was just not made very nice

At first in the village it was ok as soon as you leave that it soon becomes a boring very linear game that could not keep my attention for longer then 1 day

9. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

As a wuxia lover (I've finished all of Louise Chia's works) I found this very dissatisfactory.

Add that to the racial stereotypes in the character creation (I'm Asian), it was......

Bad. Probably the only BioWare game I've not finished.

10. UnFixed

UnFixed Unknown

Anyone else notice hes talking to himself? More issues than just a lot of imagination there. Maybe too much.

11. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Man, what's up with you guys? First you beat Crysis into mud, and now Jade Empire unnecessarily gets shafted.

Will the next blog be titled "I hate kittens and oral sex"?

12. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Yeah, but unlike Crysis, this one happens to be justified.

13. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

bad reviews are usually more interesting and informative than the nice one...

14. Helz

Helz What's a Dremel?

I don't agree with this review at all. I'm not very interested in Asian martial arts and all that, but I thought the game was fantastic. This was one of the first games Bioware made that wasn't based off an existing IP, and I give them credit for trying to push themselves in different directions.

The combat was completely different from their previous games too, and I was really impressed by its level of polish. My only gripe was that it got too easy as the game progressed.

As for the story, I enjoyed it overall. The Open Palm/Closed Fist was a good concept, but it just devolved into Good/Evil choices. That was a missed opportunity for sure. Even so, the writers get points in my book for providing a truly ****ed up ending for an evil playthrough.

If I was to bash a Bioware game, it'd be Neverwinter Nights. That poorly optimized engine was just a toolkit masquerading as a game.

15. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

[​IMG]

yeah, I can see hating JE...

16. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Hmm.. Bought Jade Empire at a STEAM sale, as well as KOTOR. Started playing KOTOR, but it kind of blows in my opinion. It seems unplayable as I cannot even get off the first planet and I'm not what you would call a newcomer to RPG genre. So if JE is even worse than that... *sigh* At least it was cheap.

17. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

I don't get the JE hate. I absolutely loved it. The combat was brilliant and a nice change from the usual RPG crap and hack n slash dumbness. It could have been a lot better but overall I really enjoyed it, and so did most of my friends. I was really surprised to read that it got a very mixed reception from other people.

I did get it quite cheap though. I might have been more critical if I paid full price.

18. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I'll say this for it (despite being dreadfully disappointed with it after having played KotOR); I finished it. Dragon Age I have started twice and never played more than (about) 10 hours of it. Which for a Bioware RPG is a shockingly small amount.

Especially considering the fact I <3 Baldur's Gate.

19. shoxicwaste

shoxicwaste Minimodder

LOL, the game kept me occupied for a couple of hours, i kind of enjoyed it, the character names made me laugh and it was incredibly predicted and corny

20. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

It's not a review, it's a blog post - more of an opinion or a reflection on an older title. Besides, at the end of the day it's just his opinion.
    That being said, I agree. I've never finished it and that's probably because it never really grabbed me. I wouldn't say it's a bad game, just not one that was able to hold my interest.

Tags: Add Tags