1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Cooler Master HAF X Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 26 Jul 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Don't like the design... Sorry... But it's a good case, with great cooling, too bad (IMO) for the looks.

3. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

I really wish you guys would have used dual GPUs. The larger cases are designed to fit multi-GPU setups, and the HAFX is specifically designed to cool tri-SLI Nvidia GTX 4XX series cards. While it's a good review, if you actually built the PC fully you would have realised that the 3rd hole in the back is for the USB 3.0 cable while the other 2 are for water tubes.

CM has said when they get a MoBo Standard for 3.0 USB they will come up with a different hook up mechanism for HAF X owners.

Also you missed out on a few other very nice additions, such as the standoff tool and an in depth on the dual hot swap bay mechanism. Also some issues you would have come across if you'd used more GPUs (which ok for bench purposes I understand, but for an all out review...) is that the side duct has to be removed and repositioned when you get cards in the lower slots.

Overall you guys are the first I've seen to do a temp bench on the case. Thank you.

4. scrimple3D

scrimple3D What's a Dremel?

Hello. The labels for the red and blue bars on page 2 appear to be incorrect.... unless I've misunderstood the graphs.

5. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

is that a mini-itx board in there?

6. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Nope, it's just a really big case :p

7. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

I upgraded to this case from a CM Stacker 850 and it dwarfs that case. My ATX board looks puny in it, I'll try to post some pics up on the forum when I get home. Even my Tuniq Tower finally looks small :p It's a great case, CM is definately moving in the right direction for a high end case.

8. Tanacel

Tanacel What's a Dremel?

fugly. Can cool the sun but if it looks pants, it's not getting bought

9. roblikesbeer

roblikesbeer Bindi's sex slave.

Woah, what is the obsession at the moment with releasing fugly cases!

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

There seems to be a trend with awful looking cases at the moment..

11. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Some good points there, especially about the USB 3 cable. I've updated the review ;) As we don't test other cases with more than one graphics card (unless there are space issues we'd like to mention) temperature results would be a bit meaningless without anything else to compare them too and unfortunately we don't have enough time to do this for every case either. Nothing to stop us doing something like that in a separate article though (Best case for cooling multiple graphics cards) where we could look at a few of the best.

12. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

"Weight 16kg"

Instantly not for me! After having a P180 and lugging it around to LANs I am -never- having a heavy case again.

Does look great though, I wish they would implement a lot of features in a smaller and much more lightweight case though for those of us with single GPUs, etc..

13. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

'a few of the best' would be great - esp for gtx480 cause they'll be cheap in a couple of months

14. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

I get the "all systems the same" bit, it would be a bit silly to do otherwise. Definately wasn't knocking you guys on the temp bench portion.

I would like to see a write up at some point in time with the XLATX/EATX compatable cases with 2 or more GPUs. The fan duct (I'm assuiming, it could be the case layout as well) has drasticly cut down the temps on my GTX 470, it's idling the same as my 8800 GTS 640 that I'm using for PhysX and only topping it under hard gaming by about 10-15 degrees. In the Stacker case I was seeing only similar temps to the 8800 when they were in tight SLI, other wise it was about 10 higher at idle and around 20 higher under load. Ultimately the loudest thing in this case is my Tuniq Tower, which won't matter soon when I upgrade to a newer setup.

Some might not like the looks of this thing, but once it's on your desk (or under it) it seems a lot more subdued than other cases I've owned (to include the fairly subdued Stacker). It could be the all black finish I suppose.

15. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

I wanted to edit my post but can't figure it out, any way even with a modular PSU the shroud is really nice. My CM Silentpro M 1000 has a permantly attached set of 4 pins that were not needed. The shroud kept me from having to force fit them behind the back panel. It really cleans up the look IMO. My build I did was a temp one, but even without going overboard on cable management everything is still neat and tidy. I hope the rubber covered cable holes become standard on every offering over 50 quid. Once again I'll do my best to get a few pics up this evening of a "real world" build with minimal effort used in cable management. If you can't tell I'm very impressed with this case.

16. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

How would it compare to my antec 1200 thinking of maybe upgrading

Apophis54 and Teelzebub like this.
  17. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Cooling wise, look at the graphs ;-) Build wise, I found things easier with the HAF X as it's bigger, especially depth-wise.

18. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

I'm sure a case of this size could have been made to accommodate 10 PCI slots to accept the EVGA SR-2 board.

I'm also not getting the two missing quick release buttons even though the caddy has been stamped out to take them - just looks a bit unfinished to me and would have looked much better with all six there.

19. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

its huge, its ugly and yet i feel myself drawn to it...NO! must wait for new Corsair mid tower!

20. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

Tags: Add Tags