1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Can you use a digital photo frame as a monitor?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by cheezeit, 27 Jan 2008.

1. cheezeit

cheezeit What's a Dremel?

Title says it all. I have a 7 inch digital photo frame that accepts SD, MS, other memory cards, as well as a USB connection. The USB connection is supposed to be for plugging in flash drives with jpegs, but I was wondering if this photo frame can be turned into an USB LCD monitor? It would be a nice thing to include in a mod.

What do you guys think? Is it possible, and how could one do it?

Thanks in advance,:thumb:
    Cheezeit

2. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

not sure if its possible threw the usb, im sure it can be done in some form tho, and it'd be a nice lcd to use as a display panle on the case. pretty much the same thing as the ps one lcd. i think? best of luck with it.

3. sqrlance

sqrlance I think I'm Drunk.

I know there is a usb to DVI/VGA and all you have to do is install the usb drivers. (http://www.displaylink.com/downloads.html) i dont know if it will be compatable with a digital picture frame.

4. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

That wouldn't work as it only lets you use normal monitors, so it goes Computer USB to DVI monitor.
    It should be possible. I think it would be more like the laptop screen mods though as you would have to find the video link inside the frame rather than using USB.

5. Gushy

Gushy Minimodder

cheezeit did you ever get any further with this?

6. asphinx

asphinx What's a Dremel?

Apologies for bumping this old thread. But this is exactly something I've been thinking about.

At 30€ I could acquire a brand new 7" digital picture frame. If there was a way to mod that to accept VGA or something, I would want to make a wall hanging always online calendar..

Does anyone know where to start looking for information?

7. RichLumb @ CCL

RichLumb @ CCL Product Gimp

8. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Have a look on the circuit board and find out what ICs are used. There may be a way to shoehorn a VGA interface on top of the LCD controller chip.