1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Super Talent announces USB & SATA SSD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Jul 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

As long as it doesn't jack up the price, being able to easily hook it up to any computer could be very useful, even if most of the time it was used over sata. I just hope people don't leave it hooked up over usb, and then complain about no performance boost.

3. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

I don't get it.
    If someone is going to open their PC to connect to SATA, why do they need the USB?
    Surely they could attach it to a SATA port, copy their whatnots across, then simply select the SSD as the "main" drive.
    I kinda get it for a laptop user who wouldn't be able to have 2 drives running concurrently, but for the average desktop user, surely copying via USB is an extra step, and therefore complicating, not simplifying?

Or am I missing something?

4. esdubu

esdubu What's a Dremel?

I've got a usb port on a 2 year old OCZ Core SSD. This is nothing new?

5. Altron

Altron Minimodder

i may be wrong, but don't you need to do specific things to make a drive bootable? Like a MBR, that 100MB system partition windows installs, etc?

I was not under the impression that it was as simple as plugging in a USB drive, copying over the files, then switching them. Is it?

6. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

still no USB3?

7. McSteel

McSteel Shape Memory Alloy

It isn't, if you copy "manually", but if you use specialized software, perhaps some products from the kitchens of Acronis, Paragon, Symantec, etc., then you could make a 1:1, bit-for-bit disk image and deploy it onto the SSD... Maybe even Super Talent supplies their own duplication software? Or has plans to do so?

In any (and every) case, doing this over USB is adding an extra step to the process, except in the case of a laptop (or any other system) that can't run both the original disk and the SSD simultaneously.

Also, if you take into account that SATA-to-USB interfaces aren't expensive nor hard to find or implement, not having an already built-in USB interface in your SSD is a non-issue. If this is Super Talent's selling point, it's bland at best.

Tags: Add Tags