1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Who actually uses water cooling grommets?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 30 Jul 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Joey9801

Joey9801 Eric the Half a Bee

I used the grommets on my antec 900 to mount the switches for my ccfls, they're the perfect fit for them :p

3. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I suppose it would be handy if you had one of those old Zalman Reserator's. Or maybe a water chiller. But most people use rads built into the case. So yeah, they are pretty useless things for the most part. But hey, it is always nice to have options!

4. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I used them, but only because I intended for the radiator to be on the outside.

But I was actually considering routing the tubing to the outside of the case from another spot anyway (and could have, but I didn't have the necessary tools handy. Someday...)

5. Kilmoor

Kilmoor lurker

I had to fab a replacement plate to delete them from my ATCS840. I'll never run an external radiator again. For something cool, like the external peltier heat exchanger I'm working on, the grommets would have been in the wrong place anyway. I like to choose where to poke holes, an extra bullet-point in the features list on the case packaging does not impress. Well put.

6. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

wouldn’t say it should be a selling point or a valid point for a review, I mounted a 120 rad on the back of a Utgard case as I had stuffed two 240s inside but its the only time i have used an external rad and in this case the grommets / holes wasn’t sufficiently spaced to fit the rad anyhow I had to cut a section out ..

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I use one on my PC, for routing a couple of E-SATA to SATA cables back into the case..

I did use two when I had an external res for a while, once upon a time, but never for radiator mounting.

8. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Did the same on my 800D, perfect fit for the switches.

9. wyte_w0lf

wyte_w0lf What's a Dremel?

Budget. Choice of case may be defined after cost of needed components. So you may go with a cheaper case. I havent moved into watercooling yet but I bought a case that will last for any upgrades in future. My budget was decided by gpu choice not cooling. Plus I was getting annoyed at little cases with no room for me to tinker/upgrade. Stacker 101 :) Also some might find it looks nice with the rad outside. Borg theme. Or custom bracket holding 2 rads and a fan on 1 mount... just my two cents.

10. Buck_Rogers25

Buck_Rogers25 Minimodder

Not sure I agree or disagree with this one. For most they don't have any merit at all, but for me and some others they do. http://www.aqua-computer.de/images/products/radi/ap_1800_500.jpg Remember these ? Mines in a box after moving house waiting for me to rebuild at the moment, but to me it's the ultimate near passive rad.

The last case I built to use it was a chipboard monstrosity, amateur doesnt even come close to describing it, but it worked very well. I bought a Cosmos Sport which does have grometts, wasn't my key consideration when I bought it, but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw them, as when I do eventually get it all setup again it means I won't have to bolt this monster to the side of my case and can sit it in a housing of it's own next to it, or even do a manifold setup.

Grometts also give you the option of having an external fill and bleed port, which is a good option really, and as someone already stated, chiller possibilities. There is also the manifold watercooling option, for people like me who may have a giant rad and multiple machines.

Do I think extra marks should be give for grometts, probably yes but only 0.01 say. There not essential, but it's nice that they are considered.

11. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I used the grommets on my old Antec 900 a few years ago. I had externally mounted the 2x120mm rad at the back, with some rad mount angled brackets, and then passed the 1/2" tubing through. IIRC I ended up having to remove the grommets though, as they were causing the tubing to kink, and popped out every time there was a little movement on the tubing. This was my first foray into using a decent custom wc kit, and I didn't have the confidence then to be chopping up my case, so the grommets (and external mounting of the rads) worked out well for me.

12. feathers

feathers Minimodder

"The problem is I can’t work out why or when anyone would actually use an external 120mm radiator. " - I have used an external 3 x 120 Thermochill rad for many years. A friend of mine also. We don't have our rads attached to PC. The rad is detached from the PC case and sitting by open window. Why? Because I don't want a conventional water setup where the rad sucks in warm case air or warm room air and dumps it back into the room where it is sucked back into the rad.

My rad sucks in cool outside air.

My Cosmos 1000 case has the rubber grommets and I make use of them to protect the tubing. I had to cut the flaps of the grommets because my tubing is 12mm ID 3mm thickness.

Needless to say my water system can cool an overclocked i7 much cooler than a conventional water setup.

13. jocke92

jocke92 What's a Dremel?

If I one day need to put a cable through my case. Those holes would save me a lot of time.

14. Cogwulf

Cogwulf What's a Dremel?

They would be useful if you wanted to use a closed-loop system like the corsair h50 and wanted more clearance from the VRM heatsinks. But it would mean disassembling and refilling the kit, and anyone comfortable with doing that could easily cut their own holes anyway. :dremel:

15. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I agree, we need very expensive cases that are very pretty for fellow geeks too look at.

Sod cooling and noise performance, that's not what people water cool for!

16. dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused generic babble ->

I used the grommets on the antec 900 on my first venture into water cooling. Within a couple of months though I had upgraded my case to allow an internal rad.
    My 800d has grommets on the back of it,they sit obstructed by the rx360 which is in the roof. I do use the grommets that are in the shelf though, as I've got a rad in the bottom of the case too.

17. Mrka

Mrka Lord

i use the grommets for dual radiator, just like this [​IMG]

18. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i use them on my p180
    i have a 120x3 mounted on the top of the case and a giant tube res on the side
    i dont care if it looks neat or whatever, its easier to mount like this than internally, requires less cutting/modding of the case and is more effective due to not using hot internal case air
    basically im lazy and external is simpler and more effective
    the only reason not to is you're (too ;)) bothered about the aesthetics of the black box that sits under your desk :p

as far as reviewing goes, i wouldnt say they should really affect the score but its not like they are a difficult or expensive thing to add to a case
    drill hole, apply rubber, done

[​IMG]

19. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Such a big case and the rad and res would not fit inside? I fitted a res/2x120 rad/pump and fanbus into a LianLI PC60 (old model) and that is a SMALL fit.

20. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I dunno actually, I think there's a subsection of enthusiasts who don't give two hoots about athestics, they just want faster speeds and cooler computers. For them, mounting the watercooling kit outside the case makes sense, as it's easier to maintain.

Some people probably rather like the idea of being able to see all the tubing in action.

Tags: Add Tags