1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming You will never be "good" at StarCraft 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 29 Jul 2010.

1. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Agreed. Unless it is a MMORPG. And even in those I prefer to solo most of the time when leveling. Makes the game more of a challenge. And when I get tired of that I just chat to my guild or join a random team for a bit. But largely playing against random noobs is of no interest to me. Would much rather go to a mates and play Soul Caliber IV.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2010
  2. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

Professional gaming is not a sport, just as darts and chess are not sports. Also, ask any health professional and they will tell you that the health benefits of regular exercise, which obviously includes sport, outweighs the risk of injury by some considerable margin.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not coming down on professional gaming per se. I admire John Wendel and guys like him, who can earn a living doing what they love. The difference is that Fatal1ty, Vo0 etc are idolised like megastars the way gamers are in Korea. I just think the level of obsession over an old pc game in Korea is rather odd.

3. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

Sorry, I meant to say that Fatal1ty etc are NOT idolised like gamers are in Korea.

4. Xir

Xir Modder

Which is why a small LAN with friends beats onlinegaming in terms of fun.
    Which is why the ability to play over network and not over internet is important.
    which is why hamachi is so popular :D

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I don't think you can argue being a professional sportsman/woman is good for your health: the ratio of ex-sportsman who crash and burn after retiring must be higher than your average person.

Casual sport I agree is much, much better for you than casual gaming, but my argument is at a high-end professional level there's little to distinguish the two. The amount people revere Football players in this country (men who are paid millions to kick a lump of dead cow skin around a field) must seem just as strange to the Koreans as their love of SC players does to us.

Altron likes this.
  6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I may not be *good* at StarCraft 2, but I'm better than Harry.

7. Altron

Altron Minimodder

But what health benefits? Athletes may be healthier than someone who sits on the couch all day eating potato chips, but they're not any healthier than someone who eats right and exercises regularly.

They abuse their bodies pretty bad. I'm sure they have all sorts of pain from hurting themselves in the game. They are very prone to injuries (not just from other players, but also from pulling muscles or ligaments by over-exerting themselves). The career is short, simply because you can't physically handle it for that long. How many pro athletes are over 35? It's too abusive for them to do that, except for certain positions (I've seen some pretty old baseball pitchers or football field-goal kickers, because they don't run and don't make physical contact with other players)

Many athletes have health problems later on. Right now, a huge issue in football is the concussions. Players suffering long term damage from hurting themselves. And you've got the whole steroids thing, some players use those to win, which are pretty bad for you (aside from being cheating).

Sure, someone who is a pro video gamer and never leaves the computer isn't as healthy as a pro athlete. Someone who is a pro gamer and does a half hour of moderate physical activity each day, and eats a reasonable diet is much healthier than a pro athlete. He's not tearing muscles, breaking bones, getting concussions, damaging joints, etc.

8. tupera

tupera What's a Dremel?

I second that!

9. DbD

DbD Minimodder

I play football, I still manage to have fun despite not getting picked for England. Is starcraft any different?

10. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I don't want to be that "good".

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Incomplete analogy. You play Football because your love for it is greater than the disappointment and loss of investment when you lose.

Take the love and optimism out it and bring the analogy closer to reality and it's a radically different situation.

For example:
    I don't get to play for England, but I still like playing football on Sundays.
    Compared with
    I have no chance of winning in a game of chess because most people are much better at it than I. I don't really like Chess as a result.

12. SPNKR

SPNKR Pretty Good Kid

Yea but Lebron is a straight up tool, while that Korean dude seemed like a pretty cool kid.

:D
    -SPNKR

13. rollo

rollo Modder

if you want to beat brutal single player campain you gotta be able to play the game tbh

14. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I read bit-tech on a partial window, sized so I only see the body of the post, not the poster info/av to the left, with outlook open behind it.

I read that post.. "He must be from Cleveland"

I scrolled over to check... yup.

:p

15. Chombo

Chombo What's a Dremel?

4v4 Comp Stomp BGH!!

16. willyolio

willyolio What's a Dremel?

actually, Blizz is really good about this. At the end of the game, it displays you and your opponent's build orders so you can see exactly how they planned or timed out their early game (one of the most critical parts of a game). Also, replays are automatically saved, so you can re-watch the game from a spectator perspective, or even another player's perspective and know exactly where they're clicking and what they're looking at.

it's amazing how much blizz has put in to help both newbies and pros.

17. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Because your crap? :eek:

18. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

More like 7v1 Comp Stomp FASTEST!!11!!!1

That's where the true champions go.

Why would he not play multiplayer on account of his crap? I'm sure his crap is patient enough to let him get a few rounds in.

Unless you mean to use "you're", in which case you might have a point.

(saving the world, one needless correction at a time)

19. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

as a former semi-pro counter strike player. I absolutely suck at the majority of RTS games, I was decent at home world 2 because of it's concept of spacial relationships in battle (and it was very slow paced) and I was decent at C&C generals becuase it was slow paced.

But all together I'm terrible at RTS genres I'm terrible at micro, I'm terrible at resource management etc. Put me in an FPS annd within a month or so I can be at a low competitive level. I think RTS games appeal to a certain type of personality and mind, and have a much steeper learning curve.

I think competitive video gaming will slowly infiltrate the western world more. It is very big in europe (for FPS) I think the US is stuck in this mode where it's seen as an undesirable activity and a worthless pursuit, not compared to the likes of chess etc so hence it doesn't get a lot of respect. Also certain games are much more spectator friendly. IMO super smash brothers melee, quake, counterstrike and a few other games are extremely spectator friendly easy to pickup and watch and understand what's going on.

looking at wow competitions and a few other games it's really hard to tell and know who's winning unless you have intimate knowledge of the game. I mean I played wow for years and competed in the highest dollar tournament there was and still thought it was confusing and boring to watch.

20. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

If you want fun casual games, then do your placements in 2v2 or 3v3 with your mates and have fun that way(or even 4v4). The serious play is in 1v1. I am in silver league in 1v1 and nearly into gold, im no way near the level of plat or diamond leagues though. Sure its annoying to lose a game after 30 mins, but its rewarding to win a game after that long too.

And in 3v3 or 4v4 with your mates, it is fun no matter if you win or lose. There are no 2v2, 3v3 or 4v4 tournaments that pay big so people dont spend so much time learning it. Thats why its better for the casual.