1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD Ontario performance numbers leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Jul 2010.

1. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

id like to see AMD beat the 13w draw :), promising but im an addict on ultra low power stuff,lol

2. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

Worth noting is that this chip isn't really in the current netbook territory which would be the Atom N450 which is listed as a 5.5W chip.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes it's 1.3 GFLOP. Typo fixed.

The graph is from a German website we linked to and they use , instead of . :)

General - true, but AMD will also launch single core versions too afaik. The comparative was dual core to dual core. Companies use the 410 because it's something like $20 cheaper. The 410 is actually an expensive chip compared to what Intel launched the D230 at two years ago.

Null - x64 is not needed in the lowest performance sectors, plus it adds transistors which = heat and cost.

dyzophoria - Ontario is currently being FAB'd by TSMC if its 40nm, so as soon as TSMC goes to 28nm or AMD goes GOFLO w/32/28nm the wattage will drop again.

Also remember that this chip has out of order execution, unlike the Atom which is an in-order core only = less transistors and lower heat ;)

4. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Are there any leaks on Bulldozer yet?

5. alpha0ne23

alpha0ne23 What's a Dremel?

Finally the dream might come true............an always on HTPC that is economical to use 24/7/365 and is more than powerful enough to run bloooray and play the occasional game

6. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Uhhmm, so that includes the HD graphics support chip / aging chipset power draw as well - right? (cough, cough)

7. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

but if you take into account the gpu that intel has to add along with their cpu and the communications and so forth the wattage is great then AMD single CPU/GPU solution so if you are an ultra low power addict then this is lower then Intels offering already and like what Bindi said will get even lower when they switch to a smaller process. :)

8. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Looks like the next few months are going to be very interesting on the CPU/GPU/APU front!

9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Last I checked Windows Server 2008 R2 (the one built on the Win7 codebase) was 64 bit only, so either the OS was incorrectly specified or Ontario *does* do x64. :)

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oh well, there we are then :p I assumed they'd skimp on it given the design is power sensitive not performance

11. DrTiCool

DrTiCool Minimodder

Nice AMD, now roll out Bulldozer specs.

12. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

AFAIK, R2 is all 64 bit, non-R2 is all 64 bit except for the very base standard version of W2K8 Standard.

@Bindi, true, I do forget about that. I just would love the ability to be able to carry a 64bit OS in my back pocket, if nothing else then to say I did.

13. general22

Well yes it does include the integrated graphics and by aging support chip I am guessing you are referring to the no longer used ICH7. This has been replaced by the newer more power efficient NM10 southbridge. Don't forget this Ontario chip will also require an I/O chip.

Anyway my point was this doesn't compete with netbook Atom CPU's(in terms of power draw) which is the idea some were getting. It does look to do very well against dual core Atoms.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

"more power efficient" but lower performance NM10. SATA performance is poor and we don't know what Ontario will pair with yet. AMD's 55nm "full" southbridges are pretty cool running already.

15. general22

I didn't know it was lower performance, although I guess the netbook market doesn't really care from what I have seen. I am sure this could compete with netbook Atom in a scaled down form which you mentioned earlier but not in its current spec. I am thinking Ontario would be a good fit for larger CULV notebooks but we will have to wait and see.

I am hoping the forthcoming mobile platforms from AMD do well as I am a little sick of buying Intel all the time in the mobile space.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea CULV competitor maybe, or a replacement for the "large" netbook/Ion market of ~11-12 inches.

17. Hashime

Hashime What's a Dremel?

"Ontario" That really screwed me up for a second, I was thinking the province, not the core.

18. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

This is the problem with AMD "Leak's". You all start leg humping and then realise you're doing it to a dead horse!

I'll happily wait for the Bit-Tech full detailed review before I comment further.

19. Blanx3_Bytex

Blanx3_Bytex What's a Dremel?

Has Bit-tech ever actually done a review on a mobile processor yet?

Tags: Add Tags