1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Problem Activating Vista with Acer Product Key

Discussion in 'Software' started by jaseuk, 31 Jul 2010.

1. jaseuk

jaseuk What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

Got a Acer Aspire Desktop PC that needed a new motherboard. However now the new motherboard is installed Windows will not activate using the OEM Product key that is on the COA sticker.

Granted its OEM and its a major change of hardware but is there anything I can do?

I have tried recovering the factory installation from the hidden partition but it just keeps throwing up a 'load int15 driver error'.

I think I already know what the answer will be, but before I go and buy another product key I was just hoping something could be done :D

2. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

You call up Windows - there's a special line - and they'll give you a new number. Each Windows OEM License is limited to unlimited installs on 'one machine'. Call Microsoft, explain that the old motherboard died and you changed it, and you need a new registration number. They'll ask for the old one, and then give you the new one.

Also, unless you have any particular fondness for it, I'd completely wipe the HDD - that includes the recovery partition. Clean installs are faster and more reliable than carry-overs.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

- The product key that you see on a OEM laptop or Desktop is deactivated. It's just there as proof of purchase and that you have a legit copy Windows. You can however, activate it with a call to Microsoft (1-800 phone number is mentioned on the Activation Dialog box), for special cases (I don't know them, but I assume if the recovery disk (most laptop) or Windows disk (higher quality systems and most business line systems) broke and the OEM refuse to give you a new disk).

- OEM license if Vista and Windows 7 are tied to the motherboard. Changing motherboard with a different model or brand means that you need a new Windows license. Changing your motherboard with another (same) OEM motherboard is fine. If it causes a problem, you'll need to contact Acer for a new motherboard, or a new Windows license based on your warranty.

- Lucky for you, I read some stories that if you are nice and patient with Microsoft activation service, and have a valid reason for changing your motherboard, they can close an eye on you, and give you the override code to activate Windows.

4. jaseuk

jaseuk What's a Dremel?

cheers guys, I will give MS another call tomorrow

5. Fiyero

Fiyero Vindaloovian

One thing i'll warn you about that I found. I had some random machine that had an XP code on, and I upgraded 3 bits of hardware in it, and it rejected several times.
    I called them up and they declare that 3 ore more hardware upgrades counts as a "new machine" and refuse to authorise it.
    It's a load of crap in my opinion.
    You own the code, and just because you choose to upgrade the hardware, it's none of their business.
    I know there's various reasons why it would make sense, but being on the receiving end of if in a legitimate situation, it's rubbish.
    Hope you don't run into the same issues though.

6. GoodBytes

Yea, XP license was crap, but usually, if you provide good reason, such as I had to change my hardware because the old one did not work, and the replacement parts is not available anymore in your area, so you had to change with a different company, they will authorize it.

You just have to be very nice with them. You might fall onto guy you just past though a crazy guy and now he is all pissy, and kinda through his frustration on you. OR he is a new to the job, and follow the directive he knows (not all of them) literary.

To be fair, you were informed before. You should have gotten the retail version. Vista and Win7 follows a more relaxed policy.

7. jaseuk

jaseuk What's a Dremel?

Yeah I have come across this before. Having used jellybean on my wife's Sony Vaio laptop I noticed the product key on the COA label differed from the one on the actual machine.

Would it have made any difference if I had retrieved the product key from the original installation instead of using the one on the COA label?

8. GoodBytes

I can't say for sure, as with Dell, Dell (I ordered mine from Small Business section) provides you with a special Windows disk, where it's no image/recovery disk. This special Windows disk is a real Windows disk, like if you purchased it in store, but has Dell OEM logo in the system properties and is pre-activated for you. (it doesn't come with the system drivers - that is another disk you have to use, or go online and get the latest versions).

I would assume, yes, to your question.
    Probably, this special produce key, like mine which is pre-entered for me, only check the BIOS chip to see if it's an Acer (or Dell in my case) or not, and activate Windows automatically if it is.

9. jaseuk

jaseuk What's a Dremel?

So do you think using a Dell recovery DVD would work on the Acer machine?

10. GoodBytes

No it won't.
    The activation checks if it's a Dell machine or not. That I know for 100% sure, it's been tested by users on another forum.

11. jaseuk

jaseuk What's a Dremel?

I have just used a Dell recovery DVD and it worked woohoo:D

12. GoodBytes

I don't think so.. it might be on trial version.
    Oh recovery disk.. those are images... yea i guess that could work.

13. jaseuk

jaseuk What's a Dremel?

Can you explain how using the Dell recovery DVD worked?

14. GoodBytes

Well recovery disks is an OS image. So if it's already activated on the image, and it could work.
    I am assuming here.

15. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Major OEM's have mass activation keys so they can send out systems ready activated.
    The key on your case is for reinstallation purposes & to prove you've actually paid for a licence.

16. proweb

proweb More is Always Better!!!

I've used a Dell recovery disc on several different computers with no problem. You just have to use the OEM on the side of the machine to activate it. It works for XP but not sure if it will work for any other version.

I format my computer every 6 months or so and I have to call them everytime. If it does ever happen just tell them you had the hard drive fail and had to replace it and alway tell them it installed on only one computer.