1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware ASUS Eee Keyboard PC Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 2 Aug 2010.

1. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Make that external attn. internal for a cleaner look and add 1080P support over wireless and I think I would snag this up but until then I will be happy with my modified ASUS 12.1" ION Netbook. :)

2. Gonzalo-Gonads

Gonzalo-Gonads What's a Dremel?

My recomended tweaks/redesigns:

1.Screw atom, seriously it is not designed for these situations and is not capable enough for multimedia. Instead go with ARM, go with qualcomm's high end processors (they're already hitting 1,5ghz dual cores) or the new OMAP4's.

2. This would automatically rule out windows and good riddance! Why can PC vendors not get into their heads, windows is not meant for touch! Android is not meant for a product like this, at least not yet. This is largely due to the fact that android resolution is restricted to 480x800, so no HD here. This leaves linux, asus would need to mould linux into a flavour that suited this product. concentrate on power efficiency and tweak it enough to pump out full hd from the arm proccesor (a tall order but it can be done). Add facebook, twitter, etc. integration, a touch friendly browser (with flash!), support for ALL codecs! All the other applications that are crucial to smartphone users (afterall I don't want to have to pull out my phone to get spotify because the damn keyboar doesn't have it! The ability to do small tasks like checking emails, etc while consuming multimedia on the TV, The experience needs to be centred on the big screen, no one is going to use this away from a tv, due to the tiny screen and competition from smartphones. So cut the crap on the small touch screen and stick with the basics, use it to launch apps on to the bigger screen and control playback!

3. The current hardware is flawed beyond belief! Get rid of all the unnecessary ports, 3 usb ports? seriously it's a sofa pc you don't need that kind of connectivity, one is enough! One display port is enough, just bundle a d-sub converter to use with the hdmi port. Cut the firewire and mic, instead have two headphone jacks, for multiple listeners, alot more useful! Get rid of the ethernet jack, who's really going to connect ethernet to this thing, it's meant for wifi! Since ARM processors are so much more frugal, no active cooling is needed, and this beast can really be put on a diet. It's too fat and heavy! I want something that's barely noticeable in my lap!

4. The wireless display technology is genius, unfortunately it just wasn't executed properly. The external antennae just looks tacked on, it needs to be built in as it is (or at least should be!) an unseperable part of the experience!

5. Battery! This really is the big blunder asus made, less than 1 hour?!? Seriously I know that ultrawide display connectivity and atom are thirsty buggers, but really? Who want's to run this thing plugged in all the time? Battery power really needs a boost, bigger battery, more efficient hardware/software, anything it make last longer! It NEEDS to last at least a long 2hrs+ film in HD, ideally two!

Only after these total redesigns will it become attractive to me!

3. leslie

leslie Just me!

Most customers do not want Linux, netbook sales bore this out.
    Windows 7 wasn't even out when this started and you want a custom Android OS?

While I agree it would probably be better with Linux or Android, neither is much of an option. Put Linux on here and you kill off even more sales in the general public sector. On the other hand, with some tweaking this could be an enthusiasts toy where they could recoup some of the development costs.

You just need to remember this has been a long time coming, it's not like they woke up 3 months ago and decided to build it.

4. Gonzalo-Gonads

Gonzalo-Gonads What's a Dremel?

No you missed the point! Asus would not advertize the keyboard as using linux, as only 2% of the market would know what that means. They would not slap a full desktop linux distro on it, that would be worthless, They would modify it to the devices needs like google did with android. That's the attraction of linux, it's malleable!

Tags: Add Tags