1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant little annoyed that scan deleted my post and closed the thread

Discussion in 'General' started by adam_bagpuss, 4 Aug 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

I posted a message on scan about the return of a faulty headset.

It was not mine but i was attempting to help the guy after it ran out of warranty.

i told him that the "sales of goods act" could apply in this instance.

Scan then said that sales of goods act only applies for up to 6 years when dealing with court cases.

This is massively untrue and i attempted to correct him but post was deleted and thread closed.

now im a big fan of scan i love thier products and prices and usually forward people there when they are in the market for gear but this kind of customer service looks a lot like overclockers where if its not a good comment its banned.

frankly i expected better from them. hell even if was wrong they could have pointed out where i misunderstood.

the reason i was so sure was because i had my TV replaced under the sales of goods act last year after the panel went faulty. It was out of warranty but a TV should last more than 3 years so it was replaced as they couldnt find any spare parts for it. This was all free of charge. The only thing i paid for was an engineer to check the TV (£20) which i could have claimed back but i didnt cause it just seemed a bit petty

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I read the post. The way it was worded made it sound as if nothing had to be done on the part of the consumer.

As I understand it, after six months of usage (obviously not if within warranty), the consumer has to provide evidence the goods were not satisfactory, which will require expert opinion, and I imagine anyone who feels the item should have been reasonably expected to last longer to go to court if necessary.

However of course, if this backfires and they fail, I would imagine the company in question would drop their expenses on top of the consumer's own expenses as well.

3. adam_bagpuss

i know after 6 months you need to prove it was faulty etc but getting an expert to check it wouldnt cost alot hell like i said my TV was checked for £20 if he says yeah dodgy conenction or whatever or poor soldering then you can take it back to the supplier and say fix it/replace it and pay the £20 for my expense.

This is all before even a whiff of court should be done

4. adam_bagpuss

lol awesome now my posts reappeared with an edit (which makes it irrelavent now) and also the quote i put in from the sales of goods act has been changed.

5. shadows

shadows What's a Dremel?

That's pretty bad on scans part editing someone else's post even if the information is incorrect is wrong. You point it out to the user or even quote the post and point out the inaccuracies, editing and locking is pointless.

6. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

Your forgetting about the secret European law.

7. ChrisP

ChrisP Retail Sales Manager

adam_bagpuss

This was pointed out and explained when the information was originally posted, the second time we edited and removed the information, which was inaccurate and locked the thread.

No claim of breach of contract has been made by the OP and to repeat again.

6 Years is the is the timelimit for bringing about a court claim only.

Regards

Last edited: 4 Aug 2010
  8. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

You could quite simply have quoted him, explained your position on whether the information he provided was correct or not and then locked the thread. I see no reason why you had to edit his post.

9. ChrisP

Cabe6403

To repeat ...

This was pointed out and explained when the information was originally posted, the second time we edited and removed the information, which was inaccurate and locked the thread.

Hence we explained the situation once, there was no reason to do it a second time.

Regards

10. Cabe6403

Ok, so simply lock the thread. If what Adam posted was the same then it would need no explanation or removal since he had already posted it and you had already explained your reasons.

I still see no reason why you had to edit his post.

11. ChrisP

Cabe6403

If we had simply locked the thread the inaccurate information would still be present. We don't allow inaccurate information to be posted in our forum and anyone posting such information especially once already explained will have the post removed.

12. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

The information wasn't inaccurate tho, the customer can make a claim to you under the Sale of Goods Act for being sold a product that was of unsatisfactory quality. It being out of warranty makes no difference to his ability to do that. The only thing he would need to do would be to provide sufficient evidence that the item had an inherent fault at the time of purchase.

13. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

+ 1. I do not see what gives you the right to edit someone else's post mate.

14. adam_bagpuss

ok i checked yes its the limit of bringing a case to court but.....

that does not mean the goods were of unsatifactory quality and since its after 6 months he would have to prove that the headphones were faulty by taking them to an expert. If the headphones were proven to be faulty you would have to exchange or repair the product.

i understand that this is all really symantics now but you removed my post without really explaining other than stating 6 years to court case END OF CHAT. if i am truely wrong i dont really wanting to be telling people lies about thier rights

15. fev

fev Industry Fallout

Sounds like bad customer service compounded with sneaky forum editing.

If something's wrong then leave the incorrect information in the post and put the correction underneath? I think that allows everyone to get educated about their rights

16. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Krazeh is correct. Anyway I'm appalled that Scan are allowing their reputation to be tarnished by refusing a replacement of an item one month out of warranty. Personally I would have just replaced the headset now regardless and salvage any reputation Scan have in the community. Editing users posts and closing threads to prevent discussion leaves a very bad impression on the company.

Money talks and I personally will no longer make any purchases from Scan.

17. ChrisP

What would you like me to do to make everyone happy?

18. fev

fev Industry Fallout

give the man a new headset and admit the cock up

19. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Salvage the reputation Scan has and come to some sort of agreement with Sturm regarding his headset.

20. Cabe6403

The way it looks from the perspective of someone who read this thread first is that someone posted something scan didn't like so the thread was deleted.
    Then this thread was started and suddenly the thread is back and the post has been edited, hiding what was posted that caused the thread to be deleted, and locked.

Would the thread have been revived if this thread hadn't been posted?

I'm not saying that's what happened. Simply how it looks.

Edit due to ninja posting: Chris, I think the right thing to do here would be to admit you made a mistake (no worries, we all do it) and perhaps give the man a replacement headset. Call out out of the (early) christmas spirit if you must :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.