1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware NZXT Phantom Case Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 4 Aug 2010.

1. Senilex

Senilex Not a Troll. Honest.

For example the HAF X review was just a rushed over review without detailing it as much as you did this case when the HAF X has considerably more features.

2. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Never said you stole my design :p , but yeah great minds do think alike :D

3. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

No worries bro. I had to go back and look at your case. I forgot about how much I liked that design. :thumb:

4. Hypnosam

Hypnosam Minimodder

Love the look of the case looks to have great cable tiding as well. Just wish I had the £109 to buy it.

5. Senilex

Senilex Not a Troll. Honest.

In hindsight the "Amateur" comment was below the belt as you are all clearly love your jobs, but still feel the review (not the review method) was inconsistent with others.

6. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

What features are you talking about? A careful balanced has to be reached on all reviews between plus-points and genuine improvements, and I personally couldn't see any glaring deficiencies in the HAF X review.

I was at bit-tech when these reviews were taking place - they were not in any way rushed.

7. void

void What's a Dremel?

Definitely a nice case and great improvement from NZXT, but I still prefer the HAF X over this. But I'm interested to see what case you will review next week as I'm looking for a high air flow type case.

8. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Is it specifically high airflow you want? I have an idea of what will be coming in the next few days, and whilst it's not high-airflow as-per-say, its sexy in the flesh, cools brilliantly and is whisper quiet. Could be what you want? (it will be very expensive though).

9. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

I really disagree with the majority of your reviews on NZXT cases, other than Hades. I own the original Tempest case and the Alpha case. Both are very nice cases that are both well built and spacious. While I would love an upgrade to the Tempest Evo or this lovely Phantom case the Tempest works well thanks to the excellent cooling system it contains. 3 intakes and 3 outtake fans comboed with an additional PCI slot fan under my GTX480 my system stays very nicely cooled. My GTX480 OCed by 15% stays between 50 and 77c and my AMD Athlon X2 7750 OCed to 3GHz stays below 25c on max load (with Zalman cooler, stock its about 45c).

10. void

void What's a Dremel?

Haha you have peeked my interest, what is this case?

11. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Thanks for mentioning this! I find it really useful to know whether it's possible to fit water cooling to a case, it's more important to me than tool-less expansion slot covers (more trouble than their worth imo).
    Also, it would be nice to have a few more pictures of the case, for us modders, it's important to know if (eg) there's much space behind the mobo tray etc. If you don't want to break the flow of the article, maybe a little gallery at the end?
    (although it sounds like you're busy doing lots of case reviews right now, going to review the Zalman MS1000 any time soon?)

12. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

They picked it up but I'm not sure it should have been.
    Look at this:
    [​IMG]

It's not a half height rad, and it's not interferring with the motherboard.
    Well it doesn't look half height to me, although I could be wrong, knowing how the roof has this plastic shell.

13. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I think that is a half-height rad.

Anything bigger than a Swiftech MCR series (or HWLabs BI GT Stealth) looks like it would have a hard time fitting up there, much like the TJ-07's roof. I wonder if the EK rads would fit. They're not as fat as the biggest rads, but they are considerably bulkier than the MCRs and GT Stealths.

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

You've lost me on that one. Each review has the same number of pages, each page with very similar amounts of content. A background is given for the case/manufacturer, details on fan locations and features are given, the test setup is explained, the results are shown, the results are analyzed, a conclusion and score are given. All roughly in the same order, even.

What was missing from the HAF X review? All fans are described, its construction material is given, the wheels were mentioned, the ducting was described, the hot-swap drives are mentioned, the EPS12V extention cable was mentioned, the front panel connections are listed, the fan LEDs and control switched are listed, radiator mounting holes are mentioned, and even the three grommets at the back are explained. What's missing from that?

15. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

That rad definitely isn't full height - looks like an Asetek lclc 240 watercooling system to me which is half height. If it was, the rad would come to below where the fans end. With fans installed they'd be obscuring at least an inch of the DIMM slots (the board being a Rampage III), hence full height rads can have issues with motherboards will large VRM heatsinks.

16. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Nice review Anthony. It's really a great case and fun to mod as well.

I hope Antec reads this review and considers looking for outside design help.

17. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

go to NZXT's site, they have tons of pics and a video review from some youtube hardware reviewer who dissects the entire thing.

18. Syn

Syn ¯\(°_o)/¯

It's a nice looking case, but £109 and all that plastic!

19. Kipish Walter

Kipish Walter What's a Dremel?

I think they've just sold me one...

20. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

O what 25.74" x 8.74" x 21.32" ?? Damn its long.. I like the hight tho, but 25 inches hmm...

Tags: Add Tags