1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs RC Models Are Awesome

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 3 Aug 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

RC was/is my hobby before I started building PCs. Brushless is the way to go for RC though! I have a bruchless E-Revo and it easily outruns the nitro version with the added benefit of not having to mess with tuning an engine or cleaning up oil and fuel. Ive never been into planes for the "gravity and the ground" reasons, but ive been racing for 11-12 years now.

Cool article, I like the occasional non-Tech article. Keep it up!

3. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I built a Piper Cub kit ( wooden frame and wings ) and learnt to fly it (4 channel). It had a .40 engine and it was a lot of fun. I then moved onto electric gliders with a skysport kit. I also had several electric RC cars and took part in an inter school RC racing project to build a petrol powered RC race car.

4. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Nice! I had a cub too although mine had foam wings and the wing folded in a high-G turn. Not a lot left but managed to salvage the electronics!

5. robyholmes

robyholmes I'm under your desk...

Can you tell me were I can get this SkySurfer, its looks very good but can't find any in UK RC stores.

6. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Hah, as part of my summer job we built a trike pretty similar to the SkySurfer (a real one, for two real people, not an RC toy) - great fun.

I flew .60 trainers and .90 helis but never really got the hang of either, the 1:16 Tamiya Tiger Mk. I is much more fun for a lot less effort :D

7. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

i race 10th electric touring, great fun, great atmosphere. Money is shared between computer and car. But my god the races are fun!

8. jim48509

jim48509 What's a Dremel?

Used to manage a hobby shop in Melbourne, Australia , flew competitive R/C aerobatic models before they went to 1/4 scale. Very few things are as good as flying a patten ship early in the morning just after the fog has lifted.

Built a Tamiya R/C tank which I was driving around the shop just as a customer walked in never did see him again. Last thing he was expecting was to have his foot run over by a tank.

Built a 77 inch wing span P51 Mustang which used to hang in the shop as a display model, this old guy walked in and was looking around the shop, he stopped at the Mustang, tears started rolling down his cheeks. He must have stood looking at that plane for a good 5 min then quietly walked out.

9. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

I once spent 7 painstaking years building a radio controlled life size fly that looked absolutly authentic down to the last detail, this was miniturisation on a minute scale, I remember the day I was ready for the first test flight...I put the fly on the chair arm while I got my transmitter ready, powered her up and...SPLAT, my dad hit it with a newspaper and said, "Pesky flys", The image has haunted my dreams ever since.

10. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I agree with the thread title!

Me and my dad were into planes when I was younger - we got the PC trainer and everything. That was a summer I'll never forget. I built it in our dining room (my mom was out of state) and needless to say there was balsa dust all over the place, it was awesome! Also was the summer we got a real computer - not a hand me down POS. I remember building my trainer very much so. Unfortunately my dad crashed it when I wasnt there. We did get one or two more but we kinda dropped it - it gets expensive real fast.

I also tampered in nitro cars, but that was really messy on a offroad truck and it kinda died out as well. I then got a mini electric 4x4, and that I still have and maintain. Its so much cleaner then nitro.

I would still fly a plane on nitro, just cause of sheer power. Those props still scare me a bit though!

Thanks for resurrecting my R/C days - its good to reminisce. :)

Last edited: 3 Aug 2010
  11. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I started at a young age with electic rc cars, then to nitromethane powered 1:8 onroad cars on a closed circuit near me called MACH a world famous onroad track.

Then at the age of 12 I got other interests and the stuff wend to the attic. years later (about 15 years later) I found the stuff again when looking for a light bulb and was exited to see it there as i forgot about it. I get the stuff down and see if i could start it. I needed fuel so I wend to the hobbystore and I was like a little kid again. Because things had changed a lot. I got out the of the shop with two HPI SAVAGE SS kits. one for me and one for my brother. We had so much fun bashing around. 30+ year olds playing with these amazing new toys.

A few years later I bought a Gaspowered 1:5 scale HPI BAJA. IMHO one of the most awesome RCscaled cars you could get. Fastforward to 2007. I won the two first cups of the 1:5 scale HPI Baja cup in the Netherlands. Raced a few more and then I wanted the fun back and not competition stress so left the cup racing and do sunday races again on our own track. Did not had time (or money) this year to drive the baja a lot. But last Sunday i was driving around again eating dust. Lots of fun and that on the age of 39!

12. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

I've was into RC (cars more than anything) when I was younger, but I only ever got one pre-built car.

I'm still quite interested in them...who are the ebuyer / scan of rc cars?

13. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

14. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

15. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

+1 for www.modelsport.co.uk.

I used to race in difference classes, though mainly 1:8 nitro and 1:5 petrol. ModelsportUK provided all the necessary replacement parts when I crashed...

The old roadcrew used to be...

1:18 - Team Associated RC18T
    1:10 - Tamiya TT-01
    1:8 - Hotbodies Lightning Stadium Pro
    1:8 - Custom Clod Crawler
    1:5 - FG Monster Beetle
    1:? - Yamaha 26cc offshore racer (boat)

I probably spent around £10k on all that including parts and hop-ups (modifications). Sold the lot last year for under a grand :(

16. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

17. Agamer

Agamer Minimodder

I've just been rebuilding my 1:5 FG car which had a nasty accident a few years back and has been sitting on a shelf ever since.

Just rediscovering how expensive it all is.

18. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I started out with a Tamiya FF01 and quickly upgraded to a Tamiya Clod Buster (same as the Bullhead in the article, but with a pickup body).

I Clod Buster got heavily modified. I ended up making a stretched tube chassis for it.

A wile later I got my first Nitro (Kyosho Wild dodge RAM). It was fun, but the engine was a bit badly made, so it leaked lots of oil from the crankshaft bearings. I also messed up the transmission (this was a Nitro with reverse gear). I ended up locking it into forward, and replaced the reverse gear with brakes instead.

All this was a few years ago. I couple of years ago I got a HPI Savage SS to get me started again, and last summer I bought a second hand Nitro heli. (Kyosho Caliber 30). None of those have seen much use, but they still look good sitting on the shelf. I have even painted both of them in matching colors. :)

The heli scares the living crap out of me, so it will probably not see much use. Hopefully I'll find some time to play a bit more with the Savage soon.

19. DeadMan

DeadMan Betterer

My favorite store:

http://www.galaxymodels.co.uk/

I used to fly 30 series Helicopters but now only have a nitro aircraft left.

If you interested in RC I recommend you give these guys a call.

20. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

What rocks: My father-in-law buying an RC car (suitable for ages 6 and above according to the box) for my son's birthday last week.
    What sucks: His second birthday.

Tags: Add Tags