1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Battle.net is effective anti-piracy tool

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Aug 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Well the merge definitely DID affect Starcraft 2. I mean, look at that RRP!

3. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Aye the cost of starcraft 2 is a ****ing joke. im waiting for it to come down to 17.99 or something. Cant afford 35quid for a game lol. God i hate being a skint student...

4. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

The RRP is fine. You pay how much for a movie? And get how many hours out of it? Have a look at how many cents your paying per hour for Starcraft 2, no quit complaining.

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

6. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

Maybe effective, but it hurts legit players too. Battle.net was down on one evening that I couldn't play the single player campaign at all. Sure, there's guest mode that I could have played on, but that doesn't have my campaign progress on it.

And the funny thing about it all? Pirates can play while Battle.net is down.

7. Xir

Xir Modder

On-Line for single player is not a feature...
    Even steam got that and enables you to play Offline.

8. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

hmm, reminds me of the problems with EA's verification servers on BFBC2 when it launched...

£35 is a bit too high, even if it is a significant saving on the RRP. I'd probably be tempted at £24.99-£29.99, so i'll wait a few months and pick it up in a sale.

9. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

its not battle.net that helped blizzard lessen pirates with sc2, it was a good game. you have good games worth buying, people wont pirate it.

10. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

I can never see myself buying a game with this kind of drm tbh, which is probably why all my bought games with online activation are still in their untouched plastic cases, never even opened. I just play the cracked versions instead. Forcing people to have a an internet connection for playing a single player campaign is just completely unacceptable.

The only ones getting shafted are the paying customers, as usual.

11. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

I don't see how they can claim that battle net is effective against piracy, when there were cracks available before the release date of the game, and groups are working on creating hacked auth servers to spoof battle net so that pirates can play multiplayer as well. If anything, battle net is just a big stick covered in honey and dunked in £50 notes, just goading the hackers into spending all their time cracking a system so obnoxious in it's treatment of paying customers.

12. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Yes, we know, even at £35 it's still too much for me unfortunately.

Not sure how battle.net is stopping piracy as the game was cracked and on the net the day after release and pirated WOW can be played on cracked servers. Maybe they just mean it stops multiplayer on the pirated versions but that's just the same as any other game as not many cracked games can be played online.

13. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Can this game be pirated? Yes. This attempt has been no more successful than any other. Honestly, if they want to try new methods of reducing piracy that's fine, but when it's clear the pirates have made copies available online anyway (and that they work) the game should be patched to remove the DRM. It doesn't do anything but annoy genuine customers once it reaches that stage.

14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Shame it drops my friends like no tomorrow.

15. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

Yes!!
    Activision ARE anti-piracy tools

..wait
    what was the question?

16. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I have already got my monies worth with SC2, I have played over 300 games in multiplayer with mates and 1v1 with random people. I havnt played the single player much, but I expect to be playing SC2 for a long while, so £35 for probably 6-12 months of entertainment is pretty good value for money in my eyes.
    It may stop multiplayer piracy, but certainly doesnt stop single player. It also doesnt appear to stop hacking, which is my number 1 concern 100%, the only thing I care about is playing against people who dont cheat with maphacks and resource hacks.I couldnt care less about single player piracy.
    I do like having all my games on 1 account though, its just a shame it cant all be on steam(overlay works though in SC2) but that would probably be seen as anticompetative.

17. alexandros1313

alexandros1313 What's a Dremel?

Actually, it doesn't work like that. Assuming you've activated the game, if your connection or battle.net goes down, start the game normally, enter your password and wait a few seconds. When the game fails to connect, it will ask you if you want to play in offline mode. Choose "Offline" and you'll have full access to the single player portion of the game, including your saved games.

18. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Yea but Battle.net got hacked during the SC2 beta, also you can set up your own WoW private server in no time at all.

And stop being so stingy its 5 freaking pounds extra than the norm. And considering its one of the best RTS's out there..Your loss!

19. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

BNet can go to hell and die.

Thanks Blizzard, for yet another system that forces people to be ONLINE to play a game in single player.

Screw it, I'm replaying SC:BW. As a bounus, I don't have to be online to host a LAN game.

20. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

I like how every company posts this rubbish, when the piracy community cracks their game. "Our system is great blah blah blah." "Why? Because blah blah blah. I'm sorry gaming wizards, but the hacker community is far more computer savy than you.

The devs and publishers used to have a pair of balls, now they just QQ and blow smoke up our asses.

Tags: Add Tags