1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project||Oroborous: The Cycle Continues - Mouse and Sleeving Oct 18

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sushi Warrior, 18 Mar 2010.

?

Watercooling?

1. No, air is the way to go!

15 vote(s)
    25.9%
  2. Yes, with white tubing/EK Supreme HF

20 vote(s)
    34.5%
  3. Yes, with white tubing/EK Supreme LT

8 vote(s)
    13.8%
  4. Yes, with black tubing/EK Supreme HF

8 vote(s)
    13.8%
  5. Yes, with black tubing/EK Supreme LT

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. Sushi Warrior

Sushi Warrior What's a Dremel?

Sorry for the huge stop in progress! Due to more illness (chronic cough I have had on-and-off for a few years) and end of the year exam/ISU's I haven't had much time. The watercooling is installed, pics shouldn't be too far off!

Also, I sold my Nikon D40X and am moving to a Pentax K-x.

2. Sushi Warrior

Very close to being "done"..... since summer is here, a lot of work is getting done now.

[​IMG]

Also I am glad to announce NZXT is sponsoring the build! They have sent some FN120RB/FN140RB fans (perfect for this build!), 6-pin PCI-E power extensions, the IU101 internal USB expansion (interesting plans for this...), and the Sentry 2 touchscreen LCD controller.

And as always, a big thanks to MNPC Tech as well!

[​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Jul 2010
  3. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Congrats! NZXT is a great company. One if not the only case manufacturer that credits the modding community for input into their new products.

4. Sushi Warrior

Here's two more teasers. Front fascia done, LCD poster placement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ignore the tape around the LCD poster, I am making an acrylic/brushed aluminum cover right now.

As always, a HUGE thank you goes out to Bill Owen at MNPCtech and NZXT!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Loving this mod :) subd

6. Sushi Warrior

Sorry guys a bit of a delay, spontaneous camping trip so updates will come a day or two after wednesday!

7. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Glad to have you back in the game my friend.

8. Sushi Warrior

Back from camping (which was awesome, stayed near Lake Huron in Ontario). Some stuff is arriving later this afternoon (hopefully) but none of it is really pertinent to the mod. Just a hard drive and some SATA cables. Pics of the NZXT stuff, on the other hand, SHOULD be up tonight if I can find someone to help me get my DIY softbox put together >.<

9. Sushi Warrior

Well, I opened the case up after ~2 weeks of use and I found a bit more than I bargained for....

[​IMG]

Dead spider. How does he get in there?!!? WHY does he get in there?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ohmygodthedustkillmenowowningacatisamistake

After about 20 minutes of work with compressed air and brushes, it was more or less now dust-free. To work!

First order of business, reservoir placement. Right under the DVD drive and next to the mobo. The usual spot :/

[​IMG]

It's pretty simple installation. Just drilling 2 holes (in my case, widening 2 existing holes) and adding a few nuts/washers. There were no instructions provided however, and it took me a few minutes (and improper assemblies) to get it right. Not super impressed so far EK.

It was hard for me to get the clamps on because I had to get the washers/nut or whatever it was on between two sheets of metal. I had to squeeze the bits down carefully and manage to get them over the bolt. That took a bit of figuring out! Would have been MUCH easier on a single sheet.

[​IMG]

Mounted up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pump goes here...

[​IMG]

Sweet jebus that's a tight fit! This isn't gonna be fun...

[​IMG]

About 1 hour and a few cups of boiling water later, we have success! Remind me NEVER to try that again. In case you are interested as to how I did it, here's my step-by-step method.

1. Get tubing on pump barb (don't screw the pump barb in ALL the way, leave it a little bit loose) .
    2. Put other end of tubing onto barb for res use, but don't screw it into the res yet (just leave it on the end of the tube)
    3. Remove res clamps.
    4. Rotate reservoir to thread onto fitting on the end of tubing, which should be easy now that the clamps aren't in your way.
    5. With the extra rotation left from 1., you should be able to get the pump vertically (I recommend doing a bit of a dry fit to see how the res lines up. You can fix ~20 degrees of tilt but can't flip it a whole 180 or something. Just get it in the right ballpark).
    6. Put the clamps back in (may be a bit tricky).
    7. Put res in clamps, pat yourself on the back, go take a well deserved nap :)

[​IMG]

Infinitely useful MNPCTech 120.2 radiator template in place where rad should go.

[​IMG]

Rad in place just to check it fits OK.

[​IMG]

A little close to the PSU....

[​IMG]

Very tight fit once you add a fan! Phew.

[​IMG]

Aluminum cover being added to the front triangle. It was rather simply to make and I didn't have my camera with me - I just cut the aluminum to the rough shape of the plexi (give or take 5mm - leave a decent amount of room), glue as shown, and file into the exact shape. This technique works for a LOT of stuff actually.

[​IMG]

Ugly glue residue... oh well, you can't see it. I wonder what this will make the light reflections look like?

[​IMG]

Back to the rad. Bottom piece removed (a few rivets were all it took) and taped up. Just tape the template in place and make your marks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The results speak for themselves! It works MUCH better than a print-out template as you can make your marks right onto the painters tape (no worries of paper ripping, ripples, etc.) and they are nice and accurate. Not even my horrible mis-measurement and other problems can mess me up here :)

[​IMG]

Slight modification... I'd rather have one continuous hole than 2 with that little divider in the middle.

[​IMG]

Ready to cut!

[​IMG]

Sparks, pretty sparks...

[​IMG]

Boom, done. Don't think I have any pics of it after filing.... we will see...

And that's it for this update. Another round of huge, huge thanks go out to...

Bill Owen and MNPCTech

[​IMG]

And Victoria from NZXT! The next update (shouldn't be far away) should have some details for the excellent package I got from NZXT.

[​IMG]

10. Jolly-Swagman

Jolly-Swagman "Hands of The Gods"

Coming along well, look forward to seeing more

11. The boy 4rm oz

Wow, that would have really sucked trying to get that tubing between the res and the pump lol, congrats on your patience. The rad mount is coming along nicely, keep it up.

12. Sushi Warrior

Stupid package is gonna be quite late.... should be here on Monday, but I expected it on Wednesday or something last week.

Also, and don't hold me on this, I am seriously looking into getting a new modular PSU and sleeving EVERYTHING. This time, MDPC-X sleeving all around, every cable and every little bit. I hate seeing all these odd wires on the back panel, and I want to cut all the wires to length.

Last edited: 9 Aug 2010
  13. The boy 4rm oz

I'm looking at the Seasonic X-series PSU's in either the 650w or 750w flavours, 100% modular makes it easier to sleeve :D.

14. Sushi Warrior

Incoming "sushi-pack" coming to me from Germany... you guessed it, Nils! Can't wait to get rid of all this Techflex crap (never, ever buy sleeving from Performance-PCs) and use some quality product! Everything is gonna get redone, wires cut to length etc. I'm just really, really not happy with how the rear panel looks ATM.

I'm really warming up to NZXT's HALE90 series.... 650 or 750w maybe? :naughty:

15. bobisgod

bobisgod What's a Dremel?

You should wait for jonnyguru to review them. A lot of crap psu's can get 80 plus gold.

And that work looks great!

16. The boy 4rm oz

Personally I have never had an issue with the Techflex sleeving, it has been the best I have used. My only issue is that it doesn't come in a small enough size to do individual wires.

I would definitely wait for a review on the NZXT PSU before considering it. I love NZXT cases but would be weary about getting one of their PSU's. It will definitely be a re-branded unit but it really depends on who the original manufacturer was.

17. Sushi Warrior

I've already read up enough on them, they are made by SuperFlower who makes a lot of terrible low-end PSU's but also does a decent job on the high-end (Kingwin Lazer series is made by them - Johnny Guru score of 8.5). And to be honest, from experience I know a quality PSU is important but there is a certain point where it doesn't matter that you have virtually no ripple and that your voltages are within 1% of what they should be - it just matters that it isn't bad enough to be discernible ie. lots of heat, loud fan, shutting down under load, exploding etc.

But I don't have my heart set on it, there are a LOT of other quality units out there ;)

18. Sushi Warrior

How about a little behind the scenes/teaser?

[​IMG]

Here's the photo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats what it actually looks like "behind the scenes". I am in the middle of writing a little guide to modding photography, and while I consider myself an expert at neither I think I have a few tips that could help out a lot of modders and overall make bit-tech project logs that much more enjoyable. I got my "studio" setup for a grand total of $20 (3 lights and backgrounds). Expect it to be up by.... monday? I think it's gonna end up being pretty long :/

Hopefully the MDPC-X arrives here today, otherwise I'm gonna have to wait until Monday, and there isn't much I can work on right now :(

And yes, I can be a little messy...

19. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Great Dremel skills Sushi Warrior :thumb:

20. Sushi Warrior

Oh my god MDPC-X is awesome. Nils was kind enough to even throw in some extra MDPC red - accent colour anyone?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Awww yeah, that's me alright!

[​IMG]

And sleeving the NZXT sentry fan cables.

[​IMG]

Very, very simple lighting "setup" this time - little white glass tile on a white window sill (which is roughly 6 inches wide too!). Sorry for no high-quality macro shots, as I don't have any pentax macro equipment.

[​IMG]

MDPC sleeve makes anything look sexy (although the IU101's black PCB and excellently sleeved cable not shown were hardly lacking in the first place).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall I am extremely happy with the MDPC-X sleeve. And for $50 for 100+ feet it was cheaper than the stupid techflex from Performance-PCs I bought in the first place!

I am working on finishing the Sentry as we speak. MDPC sleeving is much more time consuming than Techflex because it takes some work to get tension on the sleeve which gives you that non-see-through look.

Sorry for the rather short update! You can thank the following for making this eye-candy possible...

Bill Owen and MNPCTech

[​IMG]

And Victoria from NZXT. My plans with the IU101 should start coming into fruition soon!

[​IMG]