1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Show us your gear!

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by GregTheRotter, 25 Aug 2009.

1. Deegee

Deegee What's a Dremel?

My latest toy... the Canon 50D, complete with a Tamron 18-250 lens...
    [​IMG]

2. faloc

faloc What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

The 2 "Lens" to the left isnt really lens, They're both cups (70-200 f4L and 24-105 f4L IS cups) :)

3. Vers

Vers ...

How are you liking that Sigma 50, faloc?

4. faloc

faloc What's a Dremel?

Its really bokehlicious :p, Its the perfect 50mm 1,4.. Just that I wished the AF was a bit more precise, well that's Sigma AF they go focus hunting a lot.

5. Vers

Vers ...

I can't tell you how much I wanted to like that lens...or better yet how much I wanted it to work. I tried four copies of the lens, all of which had issues, three of which serious issues. Of the four I bought two, of the two only one was halfway decent with a +20MA on my MKIII (useless on the 5D and 40Ds). I would have considered keeping it if the damn thing could have focused properly at all distances and well in low/backlit light and low contrast, but it couldn't :( The bokeh is nicer than my ef50 (circular highlights aren't though--onion bokeh) and so is the build, but its performance was shottiest I've ever encountered. A shame because it did seem to have potential.

6. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Don't have a picture of my gear, but here is the list.

Canon 5D (mark I - classic) + Grip
    Canon 400D + Grip (backup)

Canon 17-40mm F4 L
    Canon 24-70mm F2.8 L
    Canon 50mm F1.4
    Canon 85mm F1.8

Canon 430EX flash + off-shoe cord
    Radio trigger for the 5D (cleon II)
    IR trigger for the 400D (RC-5)

B+W UV's and a Circular Polariser for the zooms (77mm)
    A 10 stops ND is coming soon

All this is stuffed into a Kata 3N1-20 bag, really a fantastic bag!!
    I also have a Manfrotto 190Pro B tripod, the biggest Gorillapod and a 486 ball head

7. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Sold off the two AI-S manual focus primes I had (55mm Micro f2.8 AI-S, and 135 f2.8 AI-S). I probably should have kept the 55mm micro but I knew I'd always want more reach, and I've got the 50 1.8 for when I need a 50mm prime. 105 VR is next on the list eventually.

Also sold the 180 f2.8 IF ED. Bought it used, it front focused, sold it off.

Just recently bought the new Nikon 70-200 VR II. Waiting for it to arrive. Next to decide if I want to keep my 70-300VR or sell it and put that money towards either the 14-24 or a 105 VR F2.8 Micro lens.

8. Vers

Vers ...

What happened to the 105 VR you had on the way?

9. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

It wasn't readily available in Greece, had two week wait time. By that time I just said screw it, and am getting the 70-200VR II instead. :D

As you can see my buying choices are completely focused :lol: In any case, these are all lenses I wanted, it's just I don't have much time to shoot these days, so it doesn't really matter in which order I get them in.

10. QuietlyConfident

QuietlyConfident What's a Dremel?

I kinda envy you guys with your flashy digital gear. I use old film cameras.
    Current primary gear consists of three SLRs (Olympus; dating from the 1980s), and 12 lenses.
    I don't have a good photo of all my gear, but here are a couple:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Film Cheesecake. If DSLR's hadnt taken off like they did we would all be using film still. Also film is highly underrated in my book. Its a damn fine media still.

12. QuietlyConfident

QuietlyConfident What's a Dremel?

Definitely. It might be more pricey than digital in the long term, especially if you develop stuff yourself like me, but the photo quality is generally far superior. Ever since switching to film I've been much more careful and selective about what shots I take. It's really honed my ability to shoot.

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

I quite often see the argument that because digital's free, you can take as many shots as you like. The problem with that is a lot of people end up filling their memory cards with crap because they haven't considered what they're doing. With film, you had to consider where you were pointing the camera and making sure you'd got a good exposure, otherwise you were costing money down at the photo developers.

Nowadays, I'll quite often come back from a morning or evening landscape shoot with less than 30 shots on my card as I spend more time waiting for the light than releasing the shutter. The other night I went out into the Peak District to a location I'd planned down to exactly what the composition was going to be. I missed the window of stunning light by about 5 minutes (well, 15 including some set up time)... I went home with three photographs on my CF card, each with new compositions that will work well in both morning and evening lighting conditions. Some will require heading back at a specific time of year, but that's part of the fun of landscape photography - it's bloody frustrating at times and my parents (in particular) can't fathom why I'd climb up a 500m peak to take photos only to go home with nothing because the light wasn't right. :)

14. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Slowly beginning to get this. 'Spray-n-pray' only gets you so far.

15. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Look, you start off with film, you carry on with digital. Sure there's spray and pray, but hey, I can't complain. If you are prepared to actually read some books, and well, actually enjoy photography, then I think that's all that matters. New toy arrived today :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At last, my 24-70 has a new friend. :D

16. PBear23

PBear23 What's a Dremel?

Jealous doesn't come close!

17. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

ty ty :D If I ever get a day off again, maybe I'll go shoot it :D

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

Lovely lens!

19. Prime

Prime What's a Dremel?

20. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Gear update new toys are nice
    [​IMG]

Excuse the quality of my phone lol
    5DmkII
    EF 85 f1.2L
    EF 35 f1.4L
    EF 24-70 f2.8L
    EF 70-200 f2.8L
    EF 16-35 F2.8L (not in shot)
    EF 50mm f1.8 (cheapest of the lot)
    EF 1.4 TC (2x has been sold)
    Also not in shot Lencarta Safari Ringflash :).

Took the shot last week need to find a P&S too take a better pic lol.