1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware EVGA Classified SR-2 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 17 Aug 2010.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

Huh?
    1999 - Abit BP6, I rest my case

2. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Umm, in a word - no. The BP6 was a dual-processor board and didn't support Xeons.

3. Valver

Valver I’m an AquaTuning product tester

I loved this review. Interesting, informative and aspirational. No way I could afford that Scan system, but I can always dream. I think it also gives Scan a bit of Kudos as a top systems seller (whereas I'd only really associated them with parts beforehand...)

4. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

I've heard that this board can run with just one cpu, so just incase for example you don't have the cash for the two cpu's right away and want to buy the second later on down the line when you can afford it, it would be interesting to know how it performs with just the one xeon- would it be sluggish or do just as well as a single socket board?!!

5. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

It should perform very similarly to a single-socket X58 board as the architecture is 95%+ is the same. If you look at the single-threaded Gimp benchmark on page 5 for example, the results are almost identical.

6. ChrisP

ChrisP Retail Sales Manager

We order the SR-2 board directly from EVGA, we have confirmed with them the board is under allocation but are aiming to continuously replenish our stock so supply is not expected to be an issue at all.

Hope this helps

7. ChrisP

ChrisP Retail Sales Manager

EDIT: First batch of stock is due on the 20 th August.

8. dansus

dansus What's a Dremel?

x264 should scale across both cpu's near 100%. Try with the latest build and see if you get better results, Handbrake could be using an older version.

9. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I have but one statement to make to this insanity..

"By the power of Greyskull"

>.<

Nice to see manufacturers doing something different for a change!

10. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

That's true :) Unfortunately we're kind of limited to using an older version at the moment to maintain compatability with older reviews. We do have a new build of the benchmarks in the works, it's just not quite ready yet for release.

11. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

Does this finally mean i can play Crysis and ARMA2 at max/max viewdistance? xD

12. SPNKR

SPNKR Pretty Good Kid

Man, I can only imagine what a fully waterblocked system with 3 gtx 480's would look like...prolly like spaghetti, only really tasty spaghetti.

SPNKR

13. chimaera

chimaera What's a Dremel?

SPNKR - have a look on the MaximumPC Dream PC - they used this board along with 3 watercooled 480's and 3 radiators for the recent build (Cpu - Radiator - CPU - Radiator - Videocards - Radiator was the loop).

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/home/dream_machine_2010

Personally some of the choices in the buiild were a bit odd if you ask me - particularly the sound system - but at least you'll get an idea what the cooling loop looks like :)

14. cdb

cdb No comment

Couple of questions on the folding side.

Were all the ppds done with the 4 gpus and cpus all folding together?

Did you try folding on just the cpus? I've seen someone say it's not worth gpu folding on the sr2 as you have to give them a core or 2 to work with and that takes alot of points away from the cpu bigadv at those time frames. They were getting 130K just on the cpus. Any chance you could try folding with say just a 240gt fitted for graphics and fold only on the overclocked cpus to see if 130K is possible and what power this then uses, I'm guessing a good 450W less.

15. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

While interesting as a curiosity, sadly this MB is completely pointless investment.

1. First of all, useless as a server board. You have no hardware RAID functions, only 8 SATA ports, no SAS, which means you need to invest much more money to buy add-on cards. This is not an issue with many server/workstation dual-CPU boards. A lot of them comes with hardware RAID from major brands (mostly LSI/Intel). So you have out of the box connectivity for 12-15 HDDs at the same price point.

2. Network cards are poor Realteks. Forgive me, but for this kind of MB they should bolt 2 Intel NICs. I wouldn't pay so much cash to buy MB which is not as good as it could be - it is after all supposedly best of all motherboards. Same with sound card. For an enthusiast using some atrocious AC'97/HD Audio (by Realtek) is complete no-go.

3. Heat. In traditional EVGA style cooling of NB/SB is atrocious. So no surprise, you need to invest even more money to replace that rubbish.

4. Compatibility issues. You need to buy Mountain Mods case to use this motherboard. And one thing straight I'm owner of MM cases so I know few things about them. Importing this stuff from US to Europe will cost you pretty much as much as case itself (or more depending on location and options). To mount/use HPTX comfortably you need Extended case like UFO or Ascension. Only someone who is completely mad will squeeze this behemoth into 18" cube. You need 24" length end of story. For such big case you need to spend between ~450 and 630 USD (brushed alu extended UFO to anodized black extended Ascension). Then S&H+customs+VAT. And you end with ~1000+ USD purchase. Make no mistake, MM cases are gorgeous, simple as that.

5. Hmm how many real, every day applications/games using all cores on your standard i7? Ok, few at most. Hell maybe even 50. And how many of those applications is capable to recognize 2 CPUs and use both of them (not to mention all cores). Answer is a number very much close to 0.

So to sum this up a bit. If you want ultimate Folding machine (and you own personal anti-matter power station) / enjoying showing off at LAN parties / or you have more money than sense but know absolutely nothing about PCs then SR-2 is for you. For everyday use you must be drunk and mad to buy SR-2. Buy instead gorgeous MM case and some nice MB + plenty of modding bits for cash you saved from not investing into SR-2 solution.

16. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Out of interest - which cases can fit this without being modded in any way?

17. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Evga make one though not on sale yet or mountain mods do one.

18. bw67958

bw67958 What's a Dremel?

Wonder what the gaming figures would look like with 4 x Sapphire toxic cards in it??????

19. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Or 4 x GTX480 I keep getting really tempted myself with that mobo.

Last edited: 17 Aug 2010
  20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

1. OK it doesn't have onboard RAID but you've got 7 PCI-E slots to use up. ;) Plus, if you're prepared to drop several thousand on quality CPUs to actually use the overclocking, dropping in a RAID card is small change.

2. Realtek HD Audio is OK. It suffices - many people use it. If all you need is something to make a bit of sound, then it's more than enough. I agree w/ Realtek NICs onboard but again - PCI-E slots. Some people don't care for network performance though - the same people who probably want to overclock a dual-socket system: they don't want it as a server to sit in a rack and remote access it, they want to use it: hands on.

4. Lian Li will launch a case later this week that supports EVGA's motherboard and EVGA has its own Cooler Master OEM'd one to pair with it. Either that or leave it on the open-bench for benchmarketeers.

5. Is completely unsubstantiated. It's not an everybody board - it's a workstation board with a niche market. EVGA claims it's seen considerable interest from OEMs who sell workstation PCs (their words) so that's why they committed to the board in the first place. Programs will only get more threaded as time goes on too.

For someone who hasn't even used the board (?) you're remarkably negative about it all :p You sound like you've come here to upsell people into niche MM cases, rather than a niche motherboard ;):p

Tags: Add Tags